What's new

How about ABC Movie of the Week? (1 Viewer)

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I just picked up Steven Spielberg's "Duel" at Wal-Mart for $4.88. The version that Universal released is actually the expanded theatrical version. It was one of the few made-for-TV movies to actually get a theatrical release.

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Charles, it was "Don't be Afraid of The Dark"..oh I think that movie gave many children nightmares...I'm sure a few adults too..lol.
You know what the saddest part of all those TV movies are is that there are so many of them that are more entertaining then the crap that comes out today in theatres.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Oh, and life's not complete without a copy of "Where Did All the People Go?" I loved that one as a kid...it was kind of like "Night of the Comet."

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Gosh, I haven't seen it in 30 years! I remember it scared the .... out of me when they saw the lady in the car! Yikes... Steve, where/when did this air?

I have "Scream Of The Wolf', "Moon Of The Wolf", "How Awful About Allen", "Satan's School For Girls", "Maybe I'll Come Home In The Spring" "Born Innocent" and "Duel" on DVD. These are all I can find that are'nt bootlegs. Anybody have a source?

One of the great ones I wish they would put on DVD is "Go Ask Alice". Anyone remember it? William Shatner and Jamie Smith Jackson were in it.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
A great many of these made-for-TV movies, as well as those that aired on CBS and NBC, that were produced by Paramount Television over the years are still not on DVD yet or are just in the planning stages for a DVD release, including:
Seven in Darkness (9/23/1969)
The Immortal (9/30/1969) -- pilot for the 1970-71 series of the same name
Young Lawyers (10/28/1969) -- pilot for the 1970-71 series of the same name
Quarantine (2/24/1970)
Weekend of Terror (12/8/1970)
Assault on the Wayne (1/12/1971)
Dr. Cook's Garden (1/19/1971)
Longstreet (2/23/1971) -- pilot for the 1971-72 series of the same name
Terror in the Sky (9/17/1971, CBS)
Night of Terror (10/10/1972)
The Weekend Nun (12/26/1972)
Poor Devil (2/14/1973, NBC)
The Magician (3/17/1973, NBC) -- pilot for the 1973-74 series of the same name
Egan (09/18/1973)
Night Crimes (3/16/1974, NBC) -- pilot for the 1974-76 series Petrocelli

It is especially sad about the state of many of these TV movies (which later made up Paramount Television's Marquee syndication package) because during the 1972-73 season when some of these had aired, Paramount Television used a rarely-heard rendition of its famous "Color ID" fanfare in its ending logo, which I hope will be restored to DVD when VEI releases The Magician in the future.

That fanfare was also used in the bylineless version of the same logo seen above on Poor Devil. But getting back to the state of these and other TV movies, it is quite probable that when these TV movies do see the light of day on DVD the original closing logos may be replaced, as in the 2014 MOD DVD release of The Night That Panicked America from 1975 (which originally used the 1975 Paramount Television "Blue Mountain" logo that was then fresh for that season), but some of these that were released on DVD had them kept, as in the two Old West-themed specials The Last Day and The Legend of Lizzie Borden (both also 1975).

~Ben

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
It is especially sad about the state of many of these TV movies (which later made up Paramount Television's Marquee syndication package) because during the 1972-73 season when some of these had aired, Paramount Television used a rarely-heard rendition of its famous "Color ID" fanfare in its ending logo, which I hope will be restored to DVD when VEI releases The Magician in the future.

Hopefully it will be there, you're right; however, I'll lay you 10-1 odds that it will be scrubbed and replaced with today's CBS Television Distribution logo (as if CBS had anything to do with the original production to begin with, instead of simply being a distributor).

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
The Longest Night about a girl kidnapped and buried alive in a coffin..

This movie was based on a true story. The girl was the daughter of a real estate tycoon was kidnapped for ransom. The kidnapper got life in prison and his accomplice (A woman from a Central American country) was deported.

Last edited:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Seven in Darkness (9/23/1969)
The Immortal (9/30/1969) -- pilot for the 1970-71 series of the same name
Young Lawyers (10/28/1969) -- pilot for the 1970-71 series of the same name
Quarantine (2/24/1970)
Weekend of Terror (12/8/1970)
Assault on the Wayne (1/12/1971)
Dr. Cook's Garden (1/19/1971)
Terror in the Sky (9/17/1971, CBS)
Night of Terror (10/10/1972)
The Weekend Nun (12/26/1972)
Poor Devil (2/14/1973, NBC)
The Magician (3/17/1973, NBC) -- pilot for the 1973-74 series of the same name
Egan (09/18/1973)
Night Crimes (3/16/1974, NBC) -- pilot for the 1974-76 series Petrocelli

Reviewing the films you listed, it seems that the primary themes of early 70s MOTW were terror, weekends, night, and nuns (Weekend of Terror also involves a nun, in addition to the listed film Weekend Nun). Sort of interesting, although I wish they had made Night of the Weekend Nun's Terror. I'd love to have a DVD of Sammy Davis Jr.'s Poor Devil.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I have "Scream Of The Wolf', "Moon Of The Wolf", "How Awful About Allen", "Satan's School For Girls", "Maybe I'll Come Home In The Spring" "Born Innocent" and "Duel" on DVD. These are all I can find that are'nt bootlegs. Anybody have a source?

One of the great ones I wish they would put on DVD is "Go Ask Alice". Anyone remember it? William Shatner and Jamie Smith Jackson were in it.

Hate to break it too you but most of the ones you mention are also bootlegs and not official studio releases.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I just picked up Steven Spielberg's "Duel" at Wal-Mart for $4.88. The version that Universal released is actually the expanded theatrical version. It was one of the few made-for-TV movies to actually get a theatrical release.

The TV version I feel plays much better without the extra padding but unfortunately that one is much more difficult to find.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
Several good movies on this thread desperately need a release in the near future. I caught Assault On The Wayne on A&E in the 90's. Good story with a solid cast. I can watch William Windom in anything. Also has Joseph Cotton, Leonard Nimoy, Sam Elliott, Lloyd Haynes, Keenan Wynn and Malachi Throne. I still remember watching Goliath Awaits on network TV in the early 80's. Not sure if it was ABC on CBS. Two night movie. Had a VHS release that condensed the story to two hours. Still one of my favorite Christopher Lee performances. Had Mark Harmon and Emma Samms with a lot of character actors from the 60's and 70's in supporting roles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks