What's new

How about a video quality rating on DVD packaging? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Oblow

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dennis
I don't know about you but I get pretty upset when I get a DVD that looks like it was shot with an 8mm home movie camera. This is especially pevailent on concert videos. I think that a video quality rating should be on the package along with the type of sound tracks. Something like R for refrence quality, G for good, A for average and P for poor. There should be certain standards the picture must meet to earn it's rating. I think this would promote a better overall product, and everyone would benefit.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
I think you'd have a hard time convincing studios to label their product as anything but 'excellent'.

Also, what would you do in an instance where the quality of the video is excellent, considering the condition of the source material, but inherently not up to the level of, say, the remake of The Fast and the Furious?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Dennis: Do you seriously believe a studio would undercut its profit potential by warning consumers that its latest DVD is only of subpar video quality? JB

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
...I think that a video quality rating should be on the package along with the type of sound tracks.
Yeah, they should do this right after they start telling us which of their new movies really suck right on the theatrical poster, and warning us away from the bad TV shows they produce during the ad blitz leading up to each new fall season. :)
Regards,
Joe

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
It shouldn't matter how the program/movie was shot.

A movie shot on 16mm such as The Evil Dead should be looked at as a 16mm movie. A movie shot on 70mm and was restored fully like Lawrence of Arabia should be looked at as a 70mm movie.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I think you'd have a hard time convincing studios to label their product as anything but 'excellent'.
The closest studios have come to something like this is having their disc THX and we all know what a joke that's become.

Superbit has become a step toward an "excellent" rating.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Discs that use an analog tape source (like Madacy) should have a warning on the cover.

When CDs were new most of them had the 3-letter code to let you know how it was recorded, either analog or digital.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
That's like crossing out the "Good" in "Good Burger" - INCONCEIVABLE!

RobE

Auditioning
While it'd be a nice thign to see, it'll NEVER happen. There is no way a studio would willingly admit to the video quality being "less than perfect".

Leon Liew

Stunt Coordinator
Its a sure no deal for studios to put ratings on their

DVDs. Its their money milking machine ! Its sucidal for them

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks