What's new

How about a Universal Transport - ! ? (1 Viewer)

DavidDon

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone make a universal DVD-A, DVD-V, CD, and SACD player with only digital outputs?

I would think it would be a way for manufacturers to simplify a system (with all D/A conversion going on in the Processor), and sell more pieces to customers, all the while creating a sort of forced brand loyalty.

Not to mention the player (and the accompanying processor) could have fewer redundant parts and be able to focus its strengths where needed.

Just a thought/question/comment.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Using a digital-only output would render DVD-A and SACD useless, as they are passed through analog outs on players, and receivers do not (not that I know of) have DVD-A/SACD DACs in them.

Jeff Kleinberg

Stunt Coordinator
Nick,
I think you missed the point. Design a universal transport sans dac'ss and bass management/delays, and mate it with a preamp that accepts firewire or other standard. That way your paying for one analog stage, one set of dacs, and one main processor. I'm sure this will be the future, but I wouldn't expect on for a while.

Jeff

DavidDon

Stunt Coordinator
Nick, you have missed it, but Jeff you see my point though.

Like in video, wouldn't changing back and forth from analogue to digital keep hurting the sound. I guess if the player had a good bass management you be OK, but not many do that I am aware of.

I know Integra Research's new Pre/Pro has firewire inputs and Integra and Integra Research both have new Universal players coming out with HDMI and Firewire outputs, but also with DACs for video/audio.

I guess my point is, why any analogue in the player if the digital audio connection is proprietary to each manufacturer (which is what I believe is the case so far), and there is a good pre/pro available?

I am thinking we could be better with an higher end all digital player that costs the same, or spend more on a pre/pro, and less on the player and get truly reference quality audio AND video.

Besides the Integra pieces, which won't be out until April at the earliest, we'll never really know.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Right now, it is an issue about copyright protection. It would be too easy copy the digital data. If a good copy protection scheme is found then I am sure you will be seeing that.

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
Don't bet on it. Recording industry paranoia has nothing to do with the perfect digital data stream and everything to do with lost profits due to pirating. Ever heard any piratated cds? They sound like crap but still sell since the vast majority of listeners could care less about sound quality. Witness the runaway populartity of MP3. Buyers of pirated goods want the music for cheap and do not care for quality. The industry will not make a digital output standard available because they are angling to get protection for all media through draconian legislation in Congress. I suspect their hope is to make all media available over the internet available on pay per use with no software (cd, dvd,etc) available to users. Just my .02.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks