How About a Stand-Alone Speaker/Room EQ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Arthur S, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

I was thinking it would be nice if someone would come out with a stand-alone speaker/room EQ, like the ones that Pioneer, Denon, HK, Marantz are now putting into their receivers.

At first I thought it would be pretty simple, then I realized that it would involve a big box to accommodate all the inputs and outputs as well as the chip.

Can you think of a way they could come up with this as an add-on device without it costing about $200 or more?

Thanks

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The only problem is, how would you connect it to the reicever? Everything would have to run through that box first, then to the reciever, so it would end up having to have all the audio connections that the receiver does, which sort of defeats the purpose.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Yes John, a lot of connectors, a lot of internal wiring, a number of switches, more internal wiring, a fair sized box, the DSP chip, power supply, power cord.....

Probably the only thing we are going to get is what has been around for several years. TACT (for $1,500+).

Gee, for a minute, I thought it was viable.

4. John Garcia

John
    The technology can't take up that much space, since they are including it in the receivers, it's just all the connections you would need to make, unless you could just hook it to a receiver so equiped via RS-232 or one of the digital connections.

5. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

well, its viable if you are using power amps and are not concerned about the extra AD/DA conversion stage

pre/pro (or receiver) -> Behringer DEQ2496 -> power amps

the DEQ2496 is two channels so you'll need a few [​IMG] but I think even just EQing the front two channels will being some benefits if your room is particularly unhelpful

6. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I remember back when everyone had an equalizer connected into their stereo system, nobody knew how to set them though, so they always looked like U's or some wavy-pattern.

7. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

8. JasonG-M

JasonG-M Auditioning

I think it's a great idea and actually I don't think it would be that hard to implement. Your signal path could easily go sources -> DSP -> receiver, with the -> being a digital cable. No need for A/D-D/A cycles like with the Behringer gear.

9. John Garcia

John
    Hey, I think this thing actually does exist already:

http://www.tactaudio.dk/

Go to products -> scroll down to preamplifier & room correction and click on "here" link at the bottom, then RCS 2.2x

10. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Yes John

TACT has had one of these for several years. Only problem, theirs is about $2,000, maybe more.

I was thinking maybe 10% of that.

11. John Garcia

John
    $3K MSRP [​IMG] Never heard of them before, but a guy on another forum said he just bought one of these and was asking if anyone else was using one...Not likely very many at that price point.

12. Victor Ferguson

Victor Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

Seems this would be easier to do with a HTPC. Modify the signal before the spdif out and then just run the signal out to reciever.

13. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Does it matter if it's DD or PCM?