What's new

How about a "Ronald Reagan Signature Collection"? (1 Viewer)

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Oh boy, am I happy....some great films coming 8/15 in the Ronald Reagan signature Collection:

The Hasty Heart (Vincent Sherman commentary; very good movie)
The Winning Team (Doris Day; enough said)
Storm Warning (thank you Warners)
Knute Rockne (Pat O'Brien in a great role)
Kings Row (a true classic)

All of these films are wonderful and Warners has priced this right at $50 MSRP with customary cartoons, shorts, etc.

Full details at davisdvd.com http://www.davisdvd.com/news/news.html

EDIT: more details at http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=61518

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thinking about this some more, in my opinion, Warners picked the perfect films for this set. All are very good dramas in their own right.

Of course if Warners wanted to give us a Vol 2 featuring more light hearted material I wouldn't object :)

Brother Rat/Brother Rat and a Baby double feature
Voice of the Turtle (very funny service comedy)
This is the Army (rescued from PD)
Sante Fe Trail (another PD rescue)
Desperate Journey (could also be on a subsequent Flynn collection)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
This looks like an awesome set! The only one I've seen is the brilliant Kings Row, but I'm really looking forward to everything in this collection.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

In your opinion. Others would disagree. But that may not matter much. Ann Sothern and Lew Ayres were hardly top-tier actors. However undeserving they may or may not be, they're getting box sets. Yeah, I know, they're not being marketed under the actors' own names, but still...c'mon. I'd bet the farm that a Reagan box set would sell way, WAY more units than the upcoming Maisie and Dr. Kildare sets, helped by his political popularity/notoriety.

And mentioning that has zero to do with a political discussion; it simply has to do with the fact that his success in his chosen post-acting career would seem to make it a more than commercially viable release.

I'm pretty indifferent to Reagan's acting, although his turn in THE KILLERS was damn good. But like him or not, he's got more than enough marketability for a box set. Remember, whether or not an actor is "deserving" has nothing to do with whether or not they get their own box set, as witnessed by the pooh-poohing of the idea of a Peter Lorre box set on this board awhile back. Apparently, he just doesn't have the name recognition of Maisie, Dr. Kildare, or the Bowery Boys (yeah, RIGHT). But you can't deny that Reagan's got more than enough for his own set. I'd love to hear a convincing argument otherwise.

EDIT: Oops, just saw the last few posts in the thread. Looks like WB thought he was deserving enough! :D

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
From the chat last year, STORM WARNING is supposed to be an unseen uncut version. Has that been verified?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm not a sports fan so the Knute Rockne title leaves me cold. I was hoping for Don Siegels' 1949 brooding Night Unto Night in any such collection. Still except for KR, the rest of the titles are all are good choices.

Corey

Screenwriter
i'll be getting this set. it has at least 3 movies i'm interested in: storm warning, knute rockne, and king's row.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Do I feel vindicated or what? Thanks, Mr. Feltenstein! At long last, KINGS ROW on DVD- pity there aren't more extras!

Charles H

Screenwriter
THE HASTY HEART is a terrific film (with a commentary by Vincent Sherman) and stellar work by Reagan, Patricia Neal, and the Oscar-nominated Richard Todd.

Frank*C

Grip
Another example of cashing in on a famous name rather than talent, just as a Will Rogers Box set and Jayne Mansfield Collection were recently announced. I pass on both the Reagan and Rogers sets with NO second thoughts, but will pick up the Mansfield collection not because of Jayne's 'fine acting' but because of Frank Tashlin's great writing and direction on 2 of the 3 films in the set.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Hopefully, KNUTE ROCKNE ALL AMERICAN will include the "Win One for the Gipper" speech. It was removed from prints for a while at the request of the Gip family.

I agree with Robert that Regan wasn't a big enough "star" or "actor" to deserve a Signature Collection. My personal wish for a Regan release would be the Virginia Mayo starrer SHE'S WORKING HER WAY THROUGH COLLEGE (the only movie I know of where Ronnie Regan sings!). Ah, Virginia Mayo, her movies started turning up on TV just as I hit puberty.... many fond memories...I'd defintely buy a Virginia Mayo Signature Collection, but I know that ain't gonna happen

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We all know why this boxset was released. However, I'm happy about it because I wanted four of these titles on dvd anyway and the boxset is a cheaper alternative than buying them separately.

Crawdaddy

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

Yes, it was released just to save you money, obviously. Aren't you glad that the WB don't share your opinion of Reagan's box-set worthiness? :D

But some of the WB's "commercial" decisions are indeed baffling. I still want to know who they think is going to buy box sets of Maisie and Dr. Kildare films, and why on earth they would think that they would be commercially viable, and think the opposite of a set featuring one of the greatest character actors that ever lived, and who has at least as much name recognition, most likely much more. Yes, more than even Maisie and Dr. Kildare, if you can believe such a thing.

I'd really like to know. Paging Dr. Feltenstein.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks