How about a pair of DIY bipolar surrounds anyone?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Marx, Jul 8, 2001.

1. Daniel Marx

Daniel Marx Auditioning

Well it's been a while since I've been on the forum. It's good to see that people have still got the subwoofering virus. I guess once it starts, you just can't stop it. So I thought I'd just throw this in to stir up the mix a bit. They're a pair of bipole surrounds I built just last weekend. They were kind of a spur of the moment kind of thing. Honestly no real planning went into their design. I built them in day out of drivers I've been carrying around for over a year. It's about time I put those speakers to use. Total cost of this system - under $50. Their sound - well remarkably good for surround sounds. I think they sound great. And they do the job just like they should. At any rate, eventually all those subs everybody builds is going to need a pair of surrounds to use with them. So why not build them yourself?
    Dan Marx
    http://www.audioinnovation.com

2. Patrick_L

Patrick_L Second Unit

VERY nice! now you've got my brain 'a churnin'...DARN YOU! [​IMG]
    you mentioned on your website that you tried them out as dipoles. is there a way you could use a switch so they would be dipole/bipole?
    ------------------
    Patrick

3. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

Dan,
    Very impressive job! [​IMG] Did your cat help you out also?
    ------------------

4. Daniel Marx

Daniel Marx Auditioning

Glad you like! [​IMG] Yes a switch would allow you to switch between dipole mode and bipole mode. In my case though, I would have needed to use a 4PDT style switch (or 2 DPDT) since my crossover preceded all four drivers. It just seemed like it would have been messy (wiring wise) to do so much. It's almost just as easy to pull out the woofer and tweeter on one side and swap the leads. Ideally you'd want to use separate crossovers for each side, then you could get away with just using a single DPDT switch to reverse phase on one side. This is what I've read though about dipoles: each driver needs its own enclosure. In my design that would require a dividing board between the one single big enclosure. Also, one of the woofers needs to have a high pass filter on it so as to help improve bass response so it's not all cancelled out. At what frequency to crossover, I don't even know. Maybe around 200 Hz? I can say that they did sound really good as dipoles. Localization was darn near impossible. With the normal lack of low end, but c'mon they're 5 inch drivers in a 3.7 liter enclosure. They don't have any real bass anyways.
    Dan
    No the cat didn't help but she just loves to chew on wires.

5. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

Dan,
    How do they sound? Do you plan on having a schematic on your site?
    I'd like to play around with Bipolar/Dipole switch like Polk's F/X speakers to just to hear the difference.
    ------------------

6. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Same here.