What's new

How about a list of critics/reviewers who give away the ending to a film? (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
:angry:

I'm FINALLY getting to see "Bend it Like Beckham", and wanted to read a few reviews beforehand. I checked my usuals, and then, on IMDb's "External Reviews" list, I saw a site called "Political Film Society". I'd never heard of it before, but I clicked on it anyway. Within two paragraphs, the reviewer had given away the ending to the film.

In retrospect, I probably should have expected that a site whose intention is to analyze a film from a political point of view, will have to detail specific plot points, but a little warning wouldn't have hurt :angry:

So, does anyone else know about reviewers and/or critics who habitually reveal key parts of the story in their reviews?

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
That movie is so predictable I thougth it was impossible to spoil.

Roger Ebert could hardly refrain from giving away Identity on his show. Roeper desperatly tried to stop him in a priceless sequence that those who saw the show will remember. Alas, the damage was done, one of my coworkers figured it out from the show. Sad :rolleyes.

--
Holadem

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Eberts probally the worst Ive seen. Ive read quite a few of his reviews that have contained pretty big spoilers.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
The trailers normally reveal far more than most reviewers, including Ebert, reveal...

I don't think there are any particular reviewers thaat are consistently worse than others. At least I can't think of any.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I don’t read any review in any detail before I’ve seen the film. There is almost no one that you can trust to not occasionally spill the beans. Added to that, is the fact that most of us have different tolerance levels about differing things that we don’t want revealed.

I try to scan a couple of reviews just to see if I’m sufficiently interested to see the film. Even then it takes a bit of practice to avoid spoilers.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Roger Ebert could hardly refrain from giving away Identity on his show. Roeper desperatly tried to stop him in a priceless sequence that those who saw the show will remember.
That's ironic, given Ebert's anger over Gene Siskel giving away the twist in THE CRYING GAME on their "If We Picked the Winners" pre-Oscar show.

John^Lal

Stunt Coordinator
With many movies, i don't want to watch any trailer or read any review in detail before i see it. I usually read the first few sentences and the last few sentences of a review to get the general feel, if it's not there, i don't dare reading anymore.
The worst though, is when reviewer's talk about what happened in the movie and give something away and say "since everyone has already seen it in the trailer". when i heard that i was pissed, i forget what movie it was but it was Ebert who said it :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks