What's new

How about $500 on a reciever (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Question is, what do you want? What have you read in the literature, both in print and online, that interests you in an A/V receiver? Features? Build quality? Power/distortion characteristics? The latest surround-sound technologies? Stability with difficult loads?

Next thing I would do is pick up Sound & Vision's latest annual equipment guide, which just hit the stands. It's great for comparison purposes and narrowing one's selection down.

When I do the above, I come up with two: Denon AVR-1803 and Outlaw Audio Model 1050.

But that's just me.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I currently own a Pioneer vsx811 and enjoy it but not sure if i will keep it.

I thought the Onkyo txsr600 I owned sounded better but I had too many problems that I wouldn't even deal with another one.

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
RXV630 or 730 from Yamaha.....
based on 2 channel sound,
reliability,
balls,
overall listening comparisons to the other brands/models I carry in it's range.....denon, pioneer, marantz, and all 3 sony lines (yes, still have some new DB's).....

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Chad:
Yamaha RXV-630: Great piece in the $500 and under category, when you consider connectivity, power, reliability and performance in both music and theater. Downside: ugly, really ugly.
Denon 1803: Close second, but doesn't have the oopmh of the Yamaha. Upside: not nearly as ugly.
--AM

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to post soon about the "sound" of electronics—I'm a reformed high-end audio junkie who has seen (or heard) the light, so to speak. But for now, assuming receivers and power amps that have identical power ratings and distortion characteristics, if the levels are matched as closely as possible you're not going to hear any "differences" in "sound quality."

But that's another thread.

You're receiving excellent recommendations here. One suggests a used unit, and in this department of home theater, a well cared-for used receiver might be a good buy (unlike, say, a monitor/television).

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Jack:

At the risk of bringing the coversation further afield, I must agree with what you are cautiously suggesting. One thing I've learned in the few months that I've been with this (excellent) board--much too much is made of Receiver A vs Receiver B in terms of sound quality. I think that within a price-point, one ought to choose primarily based upon features, reliability and aesthetics (OK, I'll admit, aesthetics are important to me!).

The $500 Denon and the $500 Yamaha are more similar than dissimilar, and will both provide a pleasant listening experience. All the other factors--speakers, room, etc and so on--are much more crucial to the sound you get.

I snicker a bit when pieces such as those from the Sony DE line are regularly criticized for not 'sounding good'. In fact, although not perfect for many users, those pieces are perfectly suited to most mainstream tasks, and hence remain popular in the world outside this board (I hesitate to call it the 'real world').

--AM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks