How about 5 JBL N26 speakers + PB12 subwoofer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Shelly, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

Hello,

This aproach will cost some but I believe it would yield some very good results. I am looking for some opinions on this set up.

I thought about going with 3 JBL N26 speakers for the left center and right and 2 for the surrounds. Last but not least I would add a JBL PB12 subwoofer. The N26 satelite speakers are small enough to fit yet yield some very good frequency response. 55Hz-20kHz versus the N24 at 75Hz-20khz. This should provide very favorable results when I need to run without a sub for my midnight viewing needs.

The only concern I have is with the PB12 subwoofer. It seems to be play with the best of them but has some major reliability issues. Especially from people who bought them early on. Any comments on the above setup?

Chris

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Are you aware that many HT systems have a 'midnight mode' that keeps the volume low, even on loud passages? Mine works great and I don't have to shut down the sub.

Also, it is most likely that the 26's will never see any signal below 80hz or so if set to small in DD, so If it were me I'd save the $$ and go with the 24's. Or 3 26's and 2 24's.

No opinion on the sub.

Good luck!

3. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Five JBL N26 = Seamless Surround - a process recommended by Dolby Labs and followed by the Mixing studios.

Since I don't have a neighbor problem, I love (including my family and usual Friday NITE DVD gang) the JBL NSP1 & Audio Source SW15 powersub combination - "sounds better than the local Cinema DD/DTS/SDDS Century Theaters!!!"

For PCM 2-channel CD music listening, the two Front R&L JBL N24 w/sub just impresses everyone that hears it. My brother loves it @ or near concert levels!! (Jazz by David Grusin, The Rippington's, Bob James, Joe Sample, David Benoit, Diane Krall, etc.) It should, the N24s tested out 89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB - without toe-in (by Tom Nousaine for Sound & Vision Magazine - Jan. 2001)

Can't comment the the PB12 - maybe someone else can.

Phil

4. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

JBL fans,

I run my front N38s 'large' because they reinforce the sub

below the 90Hz point. I would suggest better main speakers

and just use the sub for LFE.

I think it all boils down to how 'open' the room

is. Bookshelf speakers just don't cut it in my living room

HT, its located in 1/2 of a 20ft x 38ft x 16ft space.

However, I'm ordering a NSP1 kit for the den.

JRS

5. Chris Shelly

Chris Shelly Second Unit

Actually I forgot about "midnight mode". My new Sherwood receiver has such an option. I will have to give it a try.

"Seemless surround" is exactly what I am trying to achieve in this new setup and one of the reasons why I originally picked the AR HC2 package. I will probably get flamed for this but I am not impressed with the Northridge center speaker. Off Axis it sounds horible. It could very well be the enviroment of my local Best Buy but my first impression is a lasting impression. The rest of the JBL speakers sounded great. I am actually trying to cancel my AR HC2 order and order up some JBL speakers at J&R because they offer free shipping. Plus J&R is an authorized dealer. The salesman on the phone said he could work what I want into my budget. Of coarse it is all but impossible to get thru at Etronics.

I should have plenty of time to run out to my local Best Buy and audition some more JBL speakers. Best Buy is perfect because they let me push the buttons on the switcher without being hassled by salesman.

Chris

6. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

Cris,

Getting the center channel to sound correct with both speech and

music is difficult without a center channel equalizer,

and easy with one. Many (under $600.00) receivers have this

feature built in.

JRS

7. Nick L

Nick L Second Unit

Five of the N26's should sound pretty sweet! And having all of the same speakers should make setup a snap.