What's new

Houston TX , Making DVD evening Monday 14th May (1 Viewer)

Jonathan Smiles

Auditioning
Hi All,
Monday 14th May
Venue: Ask Burke!
Making DVD overview
What is DVD
The formats strengths and weaknesses in context.
Planning a DVD project
Turnaround time
DVD-R or replicated DVD
Multi-language
Global DVD
Web connectivity
Storyboarding
Creating Assets
Post production issues
Menu design, still and motion
Subtitles
Encoding assets
MPEG-2 Video
Audio – Dolby Digital, DTS and LPCM
Authoring
Workflow fundamentals
Disc setup
Building blocks - tracks, menus, scripts and slide
shows
Tracks - video, audio, markers, stories and
multi-angle video.
Slide show creation
Menus - layered, highlights, motion menus
Scripting
Tips and tricks
Testing
Output and replication
DVD-R compatibility
DLT output
Replication options
Checkdiscs
Support issues
Click here for old thread.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=14089
------------------
Jonathan

Jonathan Smiles

Auditioning
I will be bringing my laptop with some pro DVD authoring software so we will be able to author a disc.
I am off to the airport at 5am tomorow.
See you all on Monday.
Jonathan
------------------
Jonathan

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
Our reservation is for 7PM Monday evening at our group-favorite, the Shangai River restaurant, one block east of Kirby on the south side of Westheimer (at 2407). They still have free parking in the lot in front of the restaurant (and in front of the rest of the "strip center" it is in.) :>)
We will be in the "private room", so firing up the PC and having a lively discussion will not bother other patrons. (Who knows, though, when others see what is going on, they may want to join us...) :>)
All who said they are coming -- please show up. If you haven't committed already, come, too. There will be plenty of room. (But an RSVP would be helpful.)
See you Monday at 7!
Burke
PS - The reservation is in my name. But we are still going "dutch treat" as usual. :>) They accept most credit cards.

Jonathan Smiles

Auditioning
Hi all,
I am here in Houston and will see you on Monday.
Burke, mom had plans...
Jonathan
------------------
Jonathan

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
Our thanks to Jonathan Smiles for an informative and entertaining discussion of DVD authoring, spiked with interesting personal anecdotes and illuminated with a computer-based demo of some of the technical steps involved. We appreciate his sharing of expertise, knowledge of the DVD industry and good humor along the way. We're glad our group had the opportunity to share some time with him while he was in town. (And as always, the food and service at Shanghai River was impeccable.)
The presentation generated enthusiastic discussion among the members in attendance, lasting an hour and a half past the time the restuarant closed! We were outside by that time, of course, first standing near the door, then moving a couple of feet toward the parking lot as various restarant employees would leave or one of us would get a cell phone call from home asking where the ???? we were at that late hour... :>) Even though some of us had met for the first time in person that evening, it was almost like a school reunion where everyone has known each other for years (only the conversation was a lot more interesting and we weren't wearing name tags with pictures cut out of the yearbook.) :>)
I plan to post pictures, but my digital camera is "too good" -- the "standard resolution" shots I took generated files far too large to post here, so I am getting aquainted with photo file reduction techniques. :>)
Having talked for four and a half hours about a host of DVD and related HT topics, and feeling like we were just getting started, the foremost question at the end was -- when will we have another event like this? (Suggestions for vendors to visit or guest speakers to invite as well as venue recommendations and help with arrangements/logistics are always welcome!) To sum it up with an original piece of reportage "a good time was had by all". :>)
Burke

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks