Houston Area HT Interest Group Meet Mid-to-Late October 2002

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Burke Strickland, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

Several of us who are "into HT" and who have been meeting off-and-on for several years in the Houston area are planning an HT meet for mid to late October in the Houston area.

We've tried several formats, and meeting at a vendor location for product demos (arranged with the vendor in advance of course), :> ) getting together at someone's house to audition their system, and sometimes just getting together at a centrally located restaurant for HT discussion have all worked well. In all cases, we have scheduled a Dutch-treat meal as part of the meet (usually lunch -- we've only had one evening meeting).

This time around we're thinking in terms of getting together on a Saturday at a Galleria-area or Greenway Plaza-area restaurant (centrally located for easy access from all parts of town) and holding forth with wide ranging discussion about any HT topics that are of interest to the people who show up. (Sometimes we are more structured, with a “guest speaker" who kicks off the discussion about a topic such as DVD authoring.)

A restaurant that has been popular for this, since it serves really good food, serves fine wine by the glass, will prepare separate checks, and takes American Express (and just about every other credit card know to mankind) :> ) and also has been willing to let us sit around and BS for three hours, :> is Shanghai River on Westheimer just east of Kirby. That is probably where we will meet up this time.

After the lunch discussion, some folks will probably go in smaller groups to at least one of the nearby DVD retail outlets or hit an HT store to see a particular piece of equipment that might come up in the discussion, but that isn't "scheduled" as part of the meet.

This would be open to about 20 people (about how many the "private party room" at the restaurant is set up to hold, but we've never had to turn anyone way -- if we have overflow, they can set up extra tables) :> ).

Does this kind of meet sound interesting to you folks in the Houston area? You can respond in this thread or via e-mail, if you prefer. I'll post more specific arrangements soon.

Burke

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    sounds great!

Burke, I will be in Houston during the 3-4th week of Oct. so perhaps I can make it. Id love to meet you!

Gregg

3. Burke Strickland

Gregg -

Hope you can make it! It would be great to meet you and be able to have you participate in our HT meet.

Burke

4. Burke Strickland

OK, here are some more details for the pending meet:
    Date: Saturday, October 26, 2002
    Time: 11 AM - ???
    2407 Westheimer Road
    Houston, TX 77098-1319
    (713) 528-5528
    Please RSVP in an email at least a couple of days before the event if you definitely plan to attend so I can give the restaurant a semi-accurate headcount in advance of us descending on them. :>) Of course, please feel free to add comments here, as well, to keep this thread alive. :>)

5. JoeWat

JoeWat Auditioning

I'm actually very new to the HDTV and home HT scene but would like to meet some people in my area that are that enjoy the hobby. I'm currently trying to decide which Mistsubishi 55" model to buy right now. Would love to get your opinions on it as well.

6. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    I have Gregg scheduled to calibrate my 57" Sony when he hits Houston, and he just mentioned in an e-mail that he would be attending the HTF meet here. "What Houston HTF meet??" I said to myself. Guess I need to check this section more often. [​IMG]
    Sign me up, Burke!

7. JoeWat

JoeWat Auditioning

Sign me up to !

8. Burke Strickland

Craig, Joe --

You're on the list. Glad you will be joining us on the 26th!

9. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Burke,
    Sorry but Im going to have to cancel, I will be in the area from the 20-22nd then off to Alabama [​IMG]
    Perhaps next time!
    Gregg

10. Burke Strickland

Gregg -

Sorry you won't be able to join us... but thanks for letting me know in advance. As you say, perhaps another time!

11. Richard Slay

Richard Slay Extra

I will try to make it. I have some projector questions too.

12. Burke Strickland

Richard -

I'll count that as a "yes". :>) Hope to see you there.

If everyone who has expressed interest in attending shows up, there are going to be a number of video "gurus" in our midst on the 26th, including a projector reviewer for Widescreen Review. Should be an interesting and helpful discussion.

13. Burke Strickland

We now have 17 people who have said they plan to attend and 4 "maybes". With less than four days left until the meet, please RSVP if you plan to attend but haven't told me yet, or if you have already RSVP'd but have had a change of plans. I'm going to turn in the "final" headcount to the restaurant Friday morning,

See ya'll Saturday. :>)

14. Jay Rodriguez

Jay Rodriguez Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately, I missed out on this thread and event. But I'll keep an eye out for future meets in town. I'll try to stay current, as I'd love to meet fellow HTF'ers.

15. Jay Rodriguez

Jay Rodriguez Stunt Coordinator

Waitaminnit.....Should the date above be November 26? Am I missing something, is the meet this weekend?

16. Burke Strickland

Jay -

The Meet was Saturday, October 26, 2002, and 17 people attended. Sorry you didn't see the notice in time to make that 18! The proverbial "good time was had by all".

We plan to have another event early next year. (Consensus was that with the holidays coming up, there are too many other things to keep people busy to try it again this year.) So keep an eye on this section -- details will be forthcoming as soon as plans are made...