Housekeeping help: Best way to dust

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Carlo Medina, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I know, I sound like a college kid who just moved out of the house, but my excuse is simple: I moved around a lot during and after college (on average once a year) so my stuff never really got dusty. Now I'm in a place where I've been for 2+ years and will probably stay a bit longer. Well you guessed it, I just looked on top of my DVDs and CDs (I have over 500 each so they don't move a lot) and noticed a fine layer of dust on everything.

I also am slightly allergic to it (and have been having slight respiratory irritation) so it's time for me to suck up and do a job that I've long ignored: dusting.

But my question is this: what's the best way to dust? And by that I mean to avoid stirring up the dust and inhaling it all in. Yes I could wear a mask, but stirring up the dust would get it airborne and I'd eventually have to take off the mask. My thought initially was to go get a big roll of paper towels and wet it, but I don't want to damage the paper on some DVDs which are packaged in cardboard/paper packaging.

Anyone with any dusting secrets that they want to share?

Thanks!

2. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

vacuum with a hepa filter. Use the hose to pull most of the dust off.

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

[​IMG]

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

you people actually dust? [​IMG]

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Surprisingly, Swiffer cloths live up to their advertising and are great for dusting. And they're dry, so they won't damage your media. I really like them.

Twice a year, after my Spring and Fall baths.

6. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I used to dust weekly, but after I moved, I realized that my new place was not nearly as dusty as the old. As a result, I only dust every other week, now. But I'm meticulous about it—every nook and cranny.

If you dust on a regular basis, you shouldn't really have to worry about stirring up dust. Man, you must have a lot of dust! [​IMG]

I use those Swiffer cloths for dusting. They seem to do the trick. Very good at picking up the dust, not just moving it around.

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

every other week? christ I don't even vacuum that often [​IMG]

8. Carlo Medina

okay I have votes for the Swiffer, I'm stopping by ralphs on the way home. I do hope the pick up the dust rather than stir it around.

unfortunately I don't have a vacuum w/ hepa (and the one I do have has a very short hose, I wouldn't be able to use it at all on the shelves above ground level unless I stood my vacuum on some sort of elevated platform...

Ron, get me her number and I'll definitely go that route! [​IMG]

Keep em coming guys, in case the Swiffer thing doesn't pan out. and yes I haven't dusted in a very, very long time.

9. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Dusting? But this isn't leap year!

10. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Another vote for Swiffer - they really work well. And check out the Dyson thread for a really cool vacuum cleaner w/ HEPA filter that really does a good job sucking up all that junk on your floors.

I swear, I use both products at least once a year... :b

11. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    i dont know why, but my bedroom is dusty as HELL, i have no idea why...

ill wipe down a flat surface clean, and within like, 3 days there'll be a visible layer of dust on it...

its not like im having groups of people entering and exiting my room, and im not in there very mcuh anyway, i dont know where the hell this dust is coming from!

I vacuum the carpet about every other week too..

[​IMG]

12. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Before the Swiffer (and I still think this is the best way to prevent stirring up the dust) is to get a damp rag and wipe up the dust, then rinse when it's accumulated too much. If you're a miser, you can use the Swiffer duster then use a vacuum to suck up the dust balls.

13. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Sneezing in the face of TWO YEARS ***TWO YEARS*** worth of dust could hardly be called an "allergy." It's called "normal respiratory function."

TWO YEARS.[​IMG]

In any case, Swiffer seems to grab it better than anything. And, use a good filter if you have forced-air heating/cooling- something like a 3M Ultra Allergen. It makes a huge difference. Wash your sheets weekly. Vacuum at least 2x/week (with a HEPA vacuum).

14. Carlo Medina

Yeah we do wash our sheets regularly, and vacuum weekly. We also clean the kitchen/bathroom/bedrooms regularly.

The dust I'm talking about is just on top of the DVDs and CDs which I never have wiped down and since I have a ton of them that I don't listen/watch frequently, they don't move at all, hence the dust accumulation...(don't want you all thinking I live in a sty!)

The damp rag method I'd already dismissed because water doesn't react well to the paper packaging that quite a few of my DVDs and some CD special editions come packaged in (I use a damp rag when I wipe down my equipment)...

15. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Get a woman.

2 years. Christ, I thought I was a slob.

--
    H

16. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Carlo, I know exactly what you're talking about with the dust on top of CDs & DVDs. Get the Swiffer Dusters. They will make short work of that dust.

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

anyone have a maid service? wonder what it would cost to have someone ocme in every 2 weeks...
    then all I'd need is to find a neighborhood kid to hire to pick up the dog poo.

18. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"Best way to dust ?"

If you could find a way to stop shedding skin cells that would help[​IMG]

Brent

19. Carlo Medina

The dust in my apartment is largely not from skin cells. I live in Los Angeles (a desert, granted now it's an urban desert) and I keep my windows open. That probably accounts for 90+% of the dust in my place. And like I said, we clean regularly, it's just these darned places that I don't really look at often, like the bookcases that contain my DVDs/CDs and hardcover novels. Dust accumulates in those places but are out of sight, at least until you pull out an old CD/DVD/book that you're suddenly interested in and find the top of it covered in a layer of dust. Now I don't want to take a wet rag to that (especially as I've mentioned the paper packaged CD/DVDs or, obviously, the novels. I did buy a 5 pack of Swiffer dusters last night and will give them a shot tonight.

Hola, don't let my cleaning habits change your self perception! [​IMG]

20. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

agreed. if you have central air, you should run your fan on a regular basis -- even if you're not heating/cooling your house. i just recently spoke with an excellent hvac guy who came to do an inspection on my house. he said one thing people almost *never* do is run the fan on their system. he says it's a great way to move the air into the system, thereby filtering it.

changing those filters on a regular basis also makes a huge difference. he said it's also a good idea to run the fan right before and after you clean. running it before to help get dust out of the air, then after cleaning since you'll inevitably kick up some more dust.

changing your sheets is also key. i'm sure most of us here have seen a tv show that reveals how many microscopic dust mites live in our sheets/mattress. yuck! oh yeah, another vote for swiffer...i like them quite a bit.

for a while, we had a lady come clean our house. it usually took her about three hours and we paid her around 40 bucks. but this was just something she did on the side. i don't know how much "professional" services charge.