What's new

House season 5 (1 Viewer)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Anyone catch Hugh Laurie on SNL, it is crazy to watch him speak out of character, we all know him has house but he is such a great actor we have not seen his other side...

My question IS: when will House and Cutty ever hook up, if ever? How much longer can they drag this out????

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I thought he was quite good in places there - his opening monologue was my favorite part the show that night. What is even weirder is seeing him as Bertie Wooster now.

Neil

Joe_H

Screenwriter
Okay, one pretty stupid thing in tonight's episode so far, Foreman quit last time, and couldn't get a job last time because everyone was worried that he was too much like House already. Why would he ever risk himself again? It hasn't been that long since the last time. It seems like they just totally forgot about that.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
How much choice did he have in quitting though? I mean, my understanding from the last episode was that he basically -had- to quit, because if he was waiting around to get fired for tampering with a medical testing, that would mar his record forever and he would be guaranteed to not be hired anywhere, because he wouldn't have a medical license.

So, rock & a hard place.

Joe_H

Screenwriter

Well, he had the option he chose at the end, to fake it for House's benefit. It just seems he wasn't in a position to call his bluff.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Last time Foreman was looking for a job on the caliber of working for House. He could have presumably gotten a normal nuerologist position, but he wasn't willing to settle. Without a recommendation from Cuddy, he couldn't even settle.

This show does a phenomenal job of getting me to believe House will end the episode taking a step towards being human. It's like Lucy and the football with me.

Joe_H

Screenwriter

Hmm, okay, I guess that explanation works for me. And I agree, I thought finally for once he was going to do it this time... though it was partially Cuddy's fault as well. I mean, she did toy with him quite a bit about it, while she was trying to figure out what she wanted, and then at the end there, she had every opportunity to ask him to really come, though I think she realized at the end that her first instinct was right, and he probably would've acted miserable.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
And yet, him at the piano paying a Yiddish tune was so perfect. I love those beats with him alone in his apartment playing music because Hugh Laurie is such an expressive player and so much feeling seeps out of the character in those moments.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
And if you had closed captioning on you would have seen that the piece he played at the end was composed by Hugh Laurie with a brief You Can't Always Get What You Want thrown in the middle.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Yup - I heard that as well. I thought it was quite well-done. Sort of a Fiddler/Stones mashup
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Hugh Laurie rocks.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Whether or not he's fooled in almost beside the point: in the end, House got what he wanted. Foreman and 13 are effective members of the team again. From House's standpoint they were useless to him in the goo-goo eyes "you drool", "your snore" stage of their relationship, because it inhibited them from disagreeing with one another or even thinking clearly about the cases.

House's ultimatum left 4 possible outcomes (5 if you count what actually happened, which House may or may not have anticpated). In ascending order of desirability (from House's point-of-view):

4. They both quit. Bad from House's perspective, but also the least likely. Yes, both can get jobs elsewhere, but neither will get anything as interesting or prestigious - and that matters to both of them, especially to 13 who wants to "make a mark" in the time she has left.

3. Foreman quits, 13 stays. Foreman is still the better doctor, but at least House gets to keep one of them. And, knowing House, he probably figures Foreman will eventually come back after 13 dies.

2. 13 quits Foreman stays. Better for House. He gets to keep Foreman - who I really think House sees as his protege and eventual successor.

1. The whole manipulative game puts such a strain on their relationship that they break up. Ideal from House's point of view. He gets both of them back, they become effective doctors again and he gets to prove that there's no such thing as selflessness or true love.

1a. They figure out that the only way they can keep their jobs and stay together is to make it look like the outcome was 1 and fool House into thinking that they've broken up. As far as House is concerned this is just as good as (1) because to pull it off they can't just reflexively disagree at every turn because that would a) be obvious and b) make them just as useless as when they agreed all the time. Instead they're going to have think very carefully about each proposed diagnosis, agreeing when they genuinely agree, but looking hard for places where they can legitimately disagree.

In short, they're going to have to do just what House wanted them to do in the first place. Assuming House knows what they're doing, he gets the bonus of chuckling inwardly every time they stage a personal disagreement to "fool" him. Hell, the tiny part of House's heart that still works may even have wanted this outcome, since it solves all of his problems and leaves Foreman and 13 to be happy on their on time.

Now the question is: How long before House just has to tell Foreman that he saw through his cunning plan all along? (There's no fun in being a genius if other people don't know you're a genius. ;))

Regards,

Joe

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't know if it's as much about House being human as it is making a relationship with Cuddy possible... or impossible. I think that part of what Cuddy's attracted to in House is that him being a jerk means that she occasionally gets to be one as well, but they've spent so much time messing with each other's heads that they can't look past it.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Thanks, that's why I came to the thread this evening.
Oddly, I heard the Yiddish influence, and yet the Stones (I own almost everything) went right over my head.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Best clinic patient in ages though.

I do think I've seen the Pericardiocentesis done to death. It's even worse than the bloody sheets from a couple years ago. I've been around hospitals for a good bit of the last 25 years and I don't think I've ever seen that procedure done more than once in a non trauma situation, but I bet that's at least 7 or 8 times in the last year or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks