What's new

House report 1 year- still standing! (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I closed on my house pretty much 1 year ago. Still standing! Woohoo!

New toilet, vanity, medicine cabinet and fixtures
New Wood stove installed
New insulation in the crawlspace
Less water in the basement
One less mouse in the crawlspace :)
New kayak storage thing under the deck
Deck waterproofed
Storage Shed floor redone
New Kitchen Light installed

Next year's projects:

New kitchen stove
New shower door
New hallway paint
Replace insulation in the basement sill
Continue to fix water problem in basement
Build a wood storage shed
Build a bike storage thing in basement.

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
The major offender is just the groundwater table. When it rises, it just seeps in from the walls itself. There used to be a garage in one part of the house many many many years ago (before the 1970s) which when sealed up, they used cinder blocks as it is obvious as it's bare cinder blocks that has been patched over the years in a haphazard way. They also poured concrete but it was very very thin. In fact, they had holes in the concrete that when it rained enough (2" or more in 24 hours or so), a water fountain would appear. It's in a room with the sump pump but last week I finally got around with a hammer and chisel and found how thin the concrete was there, so I chiselled out all that I can, found a nice void from the dirt that was evicted and filled everything back in with some concrete. But it hasn't rained that much but surely there will be less water now that the holes are patched.

Some water goes through the walls and there were some holes in the wall/floor mix but I dryloks that. I have the drylok paint but haven't applied that yet to the walls which are painted. I'd have to remove the paint, etch the walls and then paint..

Jay

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Plan? I plan on winning the lottery and moving to big mansion on some hill. :)

Nah, I have the drill sanding bit, plan on eventually trying out one of the wall, sand it, paint it with the drylok and see what happens before doing the whole room. Two "room" basement, one is higher than the other and isn't as wet, the other (the one that used to be a garage) is fairly wet but also has the sump pump in it. It remains to be seen how wet it'll be now that the physical holes are plugged.

No visible cracks in the outside foundation though I suspect there probably are. Gutters are all directed away from the house... There are some cracks in the concrete floor but I also have the Drylok stuff that is made to pour down thin cracks. Not much water goes up from there though it visible makes the concrete dark.

That's the plan. Plan C might be to bite the bullit and hire somebody to put a french drain in and run that to the sump pump...

Jay

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Have you looked into a dehumidifier? It won't take care of the standing water, but it will help with the mold air moisture.
Another solution for your basement once you've gotten all of the holes patched is to strip the walls down to the cinderblocks and apply a few layers of cement sealant before re-finishing it.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Ohh..yeah I have 2 dehumifiers and a few fans in the basement windows after rains and stuff...

I can fill the cracks up with Silica!

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshuagilbreath