What's new

3D Blu-ray Review House of Wax: THE HTF 3D ADDICT REVIEW (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Waverboy wrote the following on the Classic Horror Board:
Which is why I love the 3-D Blu-ray of CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON, as the 3-D was tweaked a bit so as to actually look good on a majority of HDTV displays, instead of about 5% of them.
Jeff: you have a display with poor cancellation properties. Blame the manufacturer, not the disc!

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
I just posted the majority of this in the RAH thread regarding DIAL M, but I feel compelled to post it in this thread as well, so I hope the mods will please forgive...

Mea Culpa to everyone (especially Bob Furmanek) on my DIAL M rants; thanks to Mr. Doug Otte posting about the results of his TV adjustments on the R.A.H. DIAL M thread, I did some serious TV menu investigation myself, and proceeded to discover and adjust a couple of 3D settings (changing to +5 on 3D Viewpoint and +1 on 3D Optimization) that I didn't previously realize existed deep in the labyrinthine layers of my Samsung LED/LCD and now it plays MUCH better, like night and day. Still not perfect, with some ghosting on background objects once in a while and during really dark scenes, but now 85% of it looks just peachy, and the rest still perfectly watchable. I picked up HOUSE OF WAX recently as well, and before the settings adjustment it was more watchable than DIAL M, but still not great; now it looks largely stupendous as well (albeit with the same minor background and dark scene issues). The paddle-ball man slams it right in your face, without one iota of ghosting. Amazing amount of background depth too. Just gorgeous. Bravo WB and all who worked on these lovely releases, and many thanks to Bob Furmanek for his expertise, and setting straight people like me who don't know their onions.

After sorting out DIAL M and HOUSE OF WAX, I popped in HUGO for more experimentation, and setting 3D Viewpoint to -5 got rid of nearly all the minor ghosting I'd previously experienced on this title.

I will now proceed to eat a heaping helping of crow. And, to all others on this forum having ghosting problems with 3D titles on LCD displays, custom adjustments for each Blu-ray are apparently essential. Good luck!

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Was about to purchase this title on Amazon as a birthday gift to myself, but then saw this disclaimer on the product page:

Region 41107 encoding (This DVD will not play on most DVD players sold in the US or Canada [Region 1]. This item requires a region specific or multi-region DVD player and compatible TV. More about DVD formats.)

Is this title already out of print here in the US? Or is Amazon just confused?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That has got to be a mistake. When I go to that page, Amazon reminds me that this is the blu ray I bought. I see the message, but the blu ray plays fine on my Oppo 93 which is currently US region only.

I say Amazon is confused, but you might want to call them and ask. Their customer service is pretty good.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Todd Erwin said:
Was about to purchase this title on Amazon as a birthday gift to myself, but then saw this disclaimer on the product page:Region 41107 encoding (This DVD will not play on most DVD players sold in the US or Canada [Region 1]. This item requires a region specific or multi-region DVD player and compatible TV. More about DVD formats.)Is this title already out of print here in the US? Or is Amazon just confused?
It's a Blu-ray Disc and will not play on a DVD player. They are just telling you that you need a Blu-ray player in a very confusing way.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Here is what Amazon was able to tell me:

Samantha:
You can order it and if it isn't the correct version we can issue a full refund. However there isn't a way to guarantee it's the correct format. The DVD format doesn't appear to have any conflicting information if you want to order it in that versus the Blu-Ray. I'm sorry I can't provide more exact details of which format we have in stock. Our internal information also has both listed. If I had a way to determine which it is I'd be happy to do so. If you want to order it anyway, if it doesn't arrive correct you can return it for a full refund.
And now, because I asked about it, Amazon has placed the product on hold until they figure it out. :angry:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There's some kind of goof on Amazon on select BD titles, I've seen that before, where region code is marked "Region 41107 encoding" - I think that just happens when they don't have the correct information filled in on their end. That particularly interesting sounding region was also included on the Thor 3D and Captain America 3D discs when Disney reissued (Paramount handled distribution originally on those two titles and had been marked as region "A" before). They should be actual region A discs.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
John Maher_289910 said:
Of the 25 or so 3D Blu-ray discs I own, HOUSE OF WAX is clearly the most impressive one. Everybody I show it to, just raves about it. It's the disc against which I judge all other 3D discs.
It doesn't do well on my active LG plasma - the ghosting is pretty evident, but I recognize that's more of a problem on my end than anything wrong with the disc itself. I saw House Of Wax projected once via dual 35mm 3D, and it was perhaps the most incredible 3D experience I've ever had.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
Josh Steinberg said:
It doesn't do well on my active LG plasma - the ghosting is pretty evident, but I recognize that's more of a problem on my end than anything wrong with the disc itself. I saw House Of Wax projected once via dual 35mm 3D, and it was perhaps the most incredible 3D experience I've ever had.
The only perfect, ghost free 3D I've seen so far is my Sharp XV-Z30000. Want the best 3D? Go with DLP.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Reed Grele said:
The only perfect, ghost free 3D I've seen so far is my Sharp XV-Z30000. Want the best 3D? Go with DLP.
I've heard good things about that projector - though I was so happy with my previous projector (an Epson LCD) that when/if I get a new one, I'm probably gonna start looking there first. (It might not be practical for my setup to buy a projector that does perfect 3D but doesn't have a couple other things I'm looking for - but we'll see, that's a conversation for next year most likely.) At any rate, I definitely know the problem with House Of Wax is on my end and not the disc, and it's by no means unwatchable even with the problems introduced by my LG plasma.

John Maher_289910

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Maher
GregK said:
Not true. I've talked to a number of people with passive display 3-D sets, and not one has had "severe ghosting issues" that you allude to with DIAL M.
I have a passive LG set up and of the over 25 Blu-rays I own, I experienced a less than one second instance of ghosting in the film YOGI BEAR. That's it. Not a single instance of it on any other disc, and that includes DIAL M FOR MURDER.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I'm beginning to think this is out of print already. Amazon does not sell it directly anymore, neither does BestBuy.com and many other sites.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
If its out of print already, than why not print more? I think It came from Outer Space would do nearly as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks