What's new

HOUSE OF WAX in 3-D? (1 Viewer)

Harry W

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering if this is in the works?Is it out in 2-D?Just got the poster from it's 81 re-release and I remember going to the theater to see it.If I remember right it was shown blocked in a square,not full screen.The screen was dark except for in the middle were the movie was playing.Sure would be nice if Warner Brothers would put it out in widescreen and 3-D with 5.1 dts.Oh well.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I saw this film in the theater when I was about 10 years old (no, I wasn't around when the film was originally released) and I really enjoyed it. I really hope that the DVD allows viewers to watch it in 3-D. The only film I know of that has the 3-D version on DVD is one of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies. Are there any others?

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I think it will be 3-D, but you have to use the special House of Wax 3-D binoculars to get the effect....

Derek M Germano

Second Unit
If they do issue it 3D, I hope it is as a supplement to the flat version. 3D doesn't work as well on television as it did theatrically.
Also, I heard that a private collector gave Warner a copy of the original mag stereo soundtrack for HOUSE OF WAX a number of years back. If true, let's hope that Warner uses that track to master the DVD.

Mark Hammon

Stunt Coordinator
Columbia Tristar released 13 GHOSTS in the original "Illusion-O" with the "Illusion-O" version on one side and the "flat" version on the other. The disc came with one viewer with the option of purchasing more (I bought 5). The effect was fun, and HOUSE OF WAX in "3D" on one side (with viewers) and "flat" on the other would be awesome.

I promise I will purchase HOUSE OF WAX and more viewers if offered!

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
The paddleball man is my hero.
:)
And while we're at it, how about a DVD of the pilot for the "House of Wax" TV series? (Never picked up, by the way) It was released to theaters as "Chamber of Horrors." Lots o' fun. (But let's get rid of the "Fear Flasher" and the "Horror Horn," OK?)

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
See, I personally believe that 3D could work quite well on a decent-sized digital set with a progressive scan player. You could easily have the polarized lens type of 3D instead of the less-effective analgyphic. Can't remember what that kind is called, but most 3D films were released to theaters in this process instead of the red/blue Analglyphic process.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
AFAIK, you can only have polarized light 3D when you reflect the two separate images off of a silver screen. If you combined the two images together on a video, you lose the ability to polarize the left and right eye.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see this film on DVD, but I would also like it to include the flat version as my eyes cannot handle 3-D viewing. The only film I can watch that has 3-D is "The Mask" (I own it on Laser) as it only switches to 3-D for short periods of time.

I hope Warner starts to realize that they have a great selection of horror & sci-fi films in their library. Their almost total lack of Horror DVD releases last Halloween was pretty pathetic.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed H.O.W. at the Drive-In. I have been itching to get 3-d stuff for my DVD player. I would pick this one up in a heartbeat. I wonder why more 3d releases haven't been made available.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I started a thread over in the movies section on 3-D filming and the people who responded provided some good information and a couple of really good links as well. If you want to check it out here is the link.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The few times I've tried to see films on TV that were supposedly showing in 3D, it's never worked.

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
As mentioned above, polarized 3D isn't feasible with home video, and red/blue anaglyphic 3D just plain sucks. However, there's another method called field-sequential 3D, which uses electronic LCD shutter glasses synchronized to the video signal. I've tried it, and it's quite effective.
The only drawback is that it won't work with a deinterlaced progressive display -- you need to keep the interlaced video fields separate to preserve the 3D effect. More information is available in this thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42222

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Warner should include a 3-D version on any DVD as well as a flat one. They put out a 3-D version using the field sequential format (requiring a 3-D driver box and LCD glasses such as the IMAX box set uses) in Japan years ago and it works quite well. Just watched HOUSE OF WAX in awesome full color 3-D in my living room again last week! A newly remastered 3-D version in this same format would be so cool! UNIVERSAL should reconsider and include a good 3-D version of IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE on DVD instead of going flat only...

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I remember seeing this in the early eighties theatrically as well. The 3-D was great; love that ping pong ball! I would scoop this one up as soon as it's released.

GregK

Screenwriter
I ran across this DVD petition for "House of Wax" and thought
fellow HTF members might want to take a peek!
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/8519/
Let's not see DVD's full potential wasted once again and
push for consumers to be able to see "House of Wax" in
it's original 3-D glory. Hey, ..if "Willy Wonka" gets two
versions, "House of Wax" surely deserves the same!!

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
It will be in my hands as soon as possible! I may not try to bid on a Laser version now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks