What's new

3D HOUSE OF WAX 3D Official! (1 Viewer)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Lets hope they release it full screen and not cropped to 1.77 or 1.85 to fill HD TV's as that is the way it was shown in 1953.

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
RolandL said:
Lets hope they release it full screen and not cropped to 1.77 or 1.85 to fill HD TV's as that is the way it was shown in 1953.
I have every confidence that Bob F. will work to ensure the right thing is done. :)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thanks, James. Ironically, WAX was shown in some odd ratio in certain large theaters. I'll have to check my notes, but it was something like 1.52:1 or so.
It was filmed for 1.37:1 so that's how it should be seen.

GregK

Screenwriter
I had read somewhere (but for the life of me cannot remember where it was from, so consider it second hand for now) that WB had decided if a theater decided to show WAX in widescreen, a 1.50:1 AR was the max cropping that could be performed. But as Bob already noted, and just like Universal originally recommending 1.85:1 for the 1.37:1 composed IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, HOUSE OF WAX was composed for 1.37:1.

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
GregK said:
I had read somewhere (but for the life of me cannot remember where it was from, so consider it second hand for now) that WB had decided if a theater decided to show WAX in widescreen, a 1.50:1 AR was the max cropping that could be performed...
It was in R. M. Hayes' book 3-D Movies. You may have seen it elsewhere as well.

GregK

Screenwriter
JamesNelson said:
It was in R. M. Hayes' book 3-D Movies. You may have seen it elsewhere as well.
Very possible, hence my "2nd hand" disclaimer. It's worth noting even if I read it elsewhere, but if it wasn't original source material, sadly the information still could have come from the RM Hayes Book.
It is items like this where Bob's grueling methodology of using nothing but 1st hand or completely documented research really comes into play.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I just have to be the one to point out that my favorite thing about this film is that the director, Andre deToth, only had one eye.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Just to be very clear, I never use the Hayes book for reference. The amount of errors in that book is absurd. When he didn't have information, he fabricated something. Check out his listings for DOWN THE HATCH or LUMBERJACK RABBIT for examples.
I've seen that ratio listed in one of the industry trades, I just don't recall which one.

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
I realize that Hayes' book is not well thought of in inner circles. However, as far as I know, and like it or not, it remains the single most comprehensive printed reference volume for information about the Golden Age of 3-D cinema. Dan Symmes' Amazing 3-D, while more accurate in its facts, does not provide many of the lower level details that Hayes' book does (aspect ratios, cast and crew information, shooting locations, etc.). And I'm not aware of any other books that come close to either of these in terms of comprehensive coverage of the era.
I have been a Golden Age 3-D enthusiast ever since my first theatrical 3-D experience: the 1972 House of Wax revival. However, it wasn't until I attended the first World 3-D Expo in 2003 that I realized how many fellow 3-D nuts were out there. It was also at that time, as I conversed with fellow attendees, that I began to learn of the many inaccuracies in Hayes' book. Nonetheless, I am not a cinema industry insider, and other than published works on the subject, correspondence with fellow enthusiasts, and forums such as this, I have no way to vet the accuracy of much of the information I have collected in my head over these many years. I suspect I am not alone in that situation.
I imagine Mr. Furmanek's plate is more than full right now, but hopefully he has future plans for a published work on Golden Age 3-D cinema that will become the definitive reference from which we all can draw.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Hey Bob, there does appear to be a need for a definitive book on 3D movies. So I will second Mr. Nelson's thought on perhaps you can tackle the subject sometime.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
We're fighting a losing battle. The information from the Hayes book is all over the Internet.
Thank you for the vote of confidence on writing another book. But I have a bad habit: I like to eat once in a while. :)

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
Bob Furmanek said:
...Thank you for the vote of confidence on writing another book. But I have a bad habit: I like to eat once in a while. :)
Well, I did stipulate future plans...and besides, Bob, if your plate is always full, you'll never be hungry! :D

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Trust me, I would LOVE to do a book on Golden Age 3-D, just to get the facts out there. But the reality is that publishers rarely (if ever) give an advance these days for this type of book. I've looked into it and have talked with some other authors.
Being self-employed with my own business, there's just no way I could devote the amount of time it would take to a project that would generate no income. It's just not possible.

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
Bob Furmanek said:
Trust me, I would LOVE to do a book on Golden Age 3-D, just to get the facts out there. But the reality is that publishers rarely (if ever) give an advance these days for this type of book. I've looked into it and have talked with some other authors.
Being self-employed with my own business, there's just no way I could devote the amount of time it would take to a project that would generate no income. It's just not possible.
Bob,
fwiw, my copy of Abbott and Costello in Hollywood is well-worn and well-loved.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Bob Furmanek said:
The next best thing---definitive website? ;)

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
Brandon Conway said:
Metropolis will probably always hold that "record".
Not for how many times the movie has been restored over the course of it's life, but the amount of work that was put into a single restoration project.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Originally Posted by Ted Van Duyn /t/322317/house-of-wax-3d-official/30#post_3953640
Six strips? Does this make House of Wax the most restored film of all time?
It's only double what they did for The Wizard of Oz, Gone With The Wind and Singin' In The Rain, and possibly not even that, given the running time of Wind.

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen_J_H said:
It's only double what they did for The Wizard of Oz, Gone With The Wind and Singin' In The Rain, and possibly not even that, given the running time of Wind.
If we're going by running time and that the restoration work on Gone With The Wind involved the three color strips each needing to be individually restored, than yes. That would make Gone With The Wind the title that had the most work done on it restoration wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks