What's new

House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones prequel series) (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Caught up this afternoon and am still not feeling the love (that I was 3 episodes behind due to forgetting it's airing speaks volumes). By E5 of GoT I was totally hooked - not so here. There's not a single character I care about.

I still very much dislike that they didn't bother to have new theme music created for this series... the GoT theme just doesn't fit it at all (and there are several transitions where the timing's off a beat or two). Even the animation on the open is quite "meh" for me, lacking any of the interest of the clockwork GoT open. I *still* watch the entire open of every episode when rewatching GoT - I now *skip* every open of this one.

I'll finish the season but if the story doesn't improve I doubt I'll bother with more.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I have to say, during the sword-sparring scene, I had to remark to my wife, "Didn't we just see this in Rings of Power?"

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have been rewatching Game of Thrones and while I have been enjoying HOD, it doesn't even come close in entertainment value.
Yeah, the episodes definitely seem to move more slowly than memories of going through the original series.
Agreed. That was quite an overreaction.
It was a strong reaction, but not totally out of left field. We'd already seen Cole strongly object to being Rhaenrya's side piece, and his sense of shame about breaking his oath of chastity revealed an element of zealotry. Also, I doubt being in the King's Guard produces the most gay-friendly soldiers, and so we have a perfect recipe for him losing his sh*t while he's seeing his love getting married off to someone else (who doesn't even want to be with her on a physical level).
Betting on lots of confused/angry viewers tonight

Well, my brother and I were kinda confused when the series first started, when we were trying to find out who was playing Rhaenrya and most articles kept saying it was D'Arcy, when D'Arcy clearly looked nothing like Alcock. :biggrin:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
That was probably the darkest episode yet for the new series. Also the most disturbing episode to date with the deaths by fire, the 'small price' paid by the criminals, and the rigors of that old time birthing. All the scheming and machinations definitely gave me GoT vibes. I thought the recasting of Alicent and Rhaeyra (due to the decade time jump) was effective and both actresses acquitted themselves well stepping into their roles.

My favorite episode to date with all of the treachery afoot.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
A few more comments...

I've read that the actresses portraying the more mature versions of Rhaenyra (D'Arcy) and Alicent (Cooke) were cast first and that the younger versions were cast later and (at least partly) on their resemblance to the older actresses. I may be reading too much into this, but the implication is that they will be around for a longer duration vs. their younger counterparts and hence the priority was on casting those versions. (?)

As much as I enjoy the series I had a difficult time believing that the reprobates that Larys enlisted from the prison would be as effective as they seemingly turned out to be. While the attack at Harrenhal relied no doubt on Larys' access to the castle and subterfuge vs. out and out combat it still struck me as improbable given the timeline presented in the episode. (Given time they could probably be whipped into shape, but if you cut my damn tongue out I'm pretty sure I would be fairly useless for some period of time.) I suspect this is partly why so little of the action at Harrenhal was presented to the viewer.

- Walter.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So is this fire at Harrenhall the one that left it a burned out husk that we see later in Game of Thrones? I always thought a dragon did that.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
There were probably multiple fires at Harrenhal, helping to establish its reputation as cursed. I am guessing that there will be a dragon attack at Harrenhal during the coming Targaryen civil war which will put Harrenhal in the state we saw during GoT.

- Walter.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I've concluded that Larys is this show's Littlefinger.

Larys is as conniving, but I don't think he is quite as suave and polished as Littlefinger. His voice and dialog don't have the subtlety of Aidan Gillen's Littlefinger (for me.)

- Walter.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So Larys had his own father and brother torched, right? That's some cold psychopath sh"t. Did Littlefinger ever go that far?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Watched episodes 4-6 tonight and was totally confused about the Harwin dude (not the Hand-father) in episode 6, as far as if he had shown up in earlier episodes.

Last edited:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think he was probably circulating in the gathering for the King's hunting party. That's also when we first meet Larys (or at least when I remember seeing him first).

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
So Larys had his own father and brother torched, right? That's some cold psychopath sh"t. Did Littlefinger ever go that far?

Depends on how you feel about the circumstances. He did push Lysa Arryn out the moon door to her death at the Aerie. That was a long drop. And I'm pretty sure he knew exactly what Sansa would be in for when he arranged her marriage with Ramsey Bolton.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It's kind of telling how little activity there is in this thread, even after a shift in the cast.

I was telling my brother that I'm surprised no one has started calling it "House of Draggin'"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks