What's new

House of the Dragon (Game of Thrones prequel series) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
To be fair, Viserys kind of seemed like he wanted to turn himself in with that potential arrangement. I think the creep factor was really on her parents...

Oh, certainly. The fact that his final marriage decision was somewhat more rational was proof of that.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Papa Hightower also has his "hand" in those sorts of shenanigans but he's been infinitely more sly about it.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Ep 3 is pretty good, though it's missing the multiple storylines that distinguished GoT. Which, depending on one's point of view, could be a good or bad thing.

But, large time jump indeed! We finished the last episode with the announcement that Viserys is taking Alicent as his new wife... and we pretty much open this one approximately 3 years later! I understand that we're moving to the inflection point in the series, where a different set of actors will portray Rhaenyra and Alicent, but I did miss seeing the tensions in the aftermath of the announcement (that Viserys is remarrying). Oh well.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My wife commented about how the main titles -- which are essentially an "extreme makeover" of the GOT main titles -- didn't really work for her as they did with GOT. With GOT, the titles varied from episode to episode to indicate what places in Westeros (or beyond) the episode was set in, and as well, which of the Houses -- major or minor -- were involved.

While there are certainly characters from various Houses in HOD, the focus is primarily on House Targaryean and the internecine strife within it. The main titles reflect that, which makes them feel less effective.

(Speaking of House Targaryean, every time I hear that name, I think that they must be Armenians... :) )

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Continuing to really enjoy the new series.

Production design is always one of the hooks for me in these large tentpole series and House of the Dragon does not disappoint. Particularly loved the costuming throughout the episode. Princess Rhaenyra's first outfit had a scale-like pattern on the shoulders befitting a dragon rider. Cole's armor was just brilliant. Eye candy everywhere with the costuming.

The episode had me a bit worried about whether or not Viserys would make it out alive at the end of the hour. Drinking and hunting didn't work out for Robert Baratheon. Something I am sure the writers used to amplify the tension in the episode. The character of Viserys has definitely grown on me in three short weeks. Despite his power he is beset on all sides by trouble of one sort or the other.

The appearance of the White Stag makes me assume (along with Viserys' own protestation) that Rhaenyra will ascend the throne. And maybe fairly soon as the closeup of Viserys' left hand shows the progress of the rot.

It took Viserys' offer of assistance to motivate Damon to fully engage in the conflict. But to his credit, the courage to be 'the bait' was on full display and worked to good effect.

We continued forward with a time jump of three years since the last episode. It seems likely that we will get another jump next week; perhaps even longer. (?)

- Walter.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought the last episode was a marginal improvement over the first two but I’m still not enjoying this series. I don’t care about any of the characters or story lines so far. It’s just all very *meh* to me. Sorry @Walter Kittel ;)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
An article from Gizmodo appeared on my news feed with the headline "Daemon Targaryen, Westeros' John Wick". :D

Another article on my newsfeed, from gamesradar, points out that the fate of a major character in House of the Dragon was described in detail in a Season 3 episode of Game of Thrones. Of course, it's likely been written about by GRRM somewhere along the line, so...

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I took advantage of HBO's $104.99 for one year deal (plus another $25 off by using an American Express offer) and signed up for a year. My wife and I watched the first episode last night and really enjoyed it. I am avoiding reading too much in this thread until we get caught up on episodes. I had begun to read the book Fire and Ice that this is based on, but did not get all the way through it. I thought that book was much drier than the five books of the Game of Thrones.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I enjoyed the fourth episode. I thought it moved the story along and deepened the characters. That said, my chief complaint is still that the show doesn't feel like it has its own identity yet. In that regard, I will never understand the use of the Game of Thrones theme for the credits. Yes, every Star Wars episode opened with the famous fanfare, but each film also has its own main title music. Not so with House of the Dragon.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Random thoughts...

I thought we would experience a larger time jump, but it appears to be one year later.
It took me a while to get into the episode due to the pacing, but maybe that was just my mood.
Never talk shit to anyone from the Black Woods. :)
Another reference to Damon's wife. Will we ever see the 'Bronze Bitch'?
Every time we get a view of King Viserys' body it appears worse.

The pacing was pretty deliberate in this episode with a lot of political ramifications. Another strong episode with some big moves, especially from Damon, who went 'all in' during the confrontation with his brother near the end of the show. It strikes me that Otto Hightower is too big of a threat to leave 'unresolved'. I don't recall hearing the name Hightower in GOT, so maybe he will be dealt with?

- Walter.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I enjoyed the fourth episode. I thought it moved the story along and deepened the characters. That said, my chief complaint is still that the show doesn't feel like it has its own identity yet. In that regard, I will never understand the use of the Game of Thrones theme for the credits. Yes, every Star Wars episode opened with the famous fanfare, but each film also has its own main title music. Not so with House of the Dragon.
I wonder how it would play if the GoT theme song were played through a broken music box audio filter to suggest the inevitable madness that comes with House Targaryen.

I am not as interested in the show staking out its own identity, as I think that's kind of a tall order and bound to piss off those who want the familiarity of GOT.

That said, I feel more the issue is how it has so far failed to distinguish itself in making House Targaryen notably different than any other house that finds itself at the top of the pecking order. Yes there's the dragons and yes, there's the incest, but is that all? Honestly, I keep having to remind myself that this is House Targaryen and not House Lannister we're seeing...

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
That said, I feel more the issue is how it has so far failed to distinguish itself in making House Targaryen notably different than any other house that finds itself at the top of the pecking order. Yes there's the dragons and yes, there's the incest, but is that all? Honestly, I keep having to remind myself that this is House Targaryen and not House Lannister we're seeing...

I think that's rather the point. Most of the great houses are just bunches of wankers. It's just that some of them manage to wank their way to the top of the hill, and others not. House Stark seemed to be the lone exception, but I'm willing to bet they had their bad moments, too.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
So when I collapsed during this episode, seeming to be unable to breathe, I had to ease my wife's concern by telling her about the "oysters and snails" bit in Spartacus.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Rachel Redford's role as Lady Rhea Royce (Daemon's wife) had to set a record (or at least a near record) for the briefest appearance in the series. There are times with Daemon that it seems like there might be some worthwhile aspects to the character and then this sort of thing happens.

There certainly was plenty of intrigue with all of the major players gathered at the reception. I didn't completely buy into the plot point of Cole going off on Laenor's "buddy" to that extent. Clearly they demonstrated that he had completely lost control, but I would have thought that someone in his position would have more restraint. That sequence felt a bit forced, like it was plot driven.

I am still enjoying the series, but this episode underscored some of the critiques of the series that find it a bit lacking in comparison to GoT. While I realize that it is more realistic to have shades of grey in a series like this, I don't really feel like anyone has stepped forward to be a demonstrable protagonist in the show. In some ways the most morally ambiguous episode of the series to date, which dampened my enjoyment. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood.

- Walter.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Haven't watched this week's show yet (I am always a week behind), but to support Walter's post above...

I have been rewatching Game of Thrones and while I have been enjoying HOD, it doesn't even come close in entertainment value.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I have been rewatching Game of Thrones and while I have been enjoying HOD, it doesn't even come close in entertainment value.
I get that they don't want to copy GoT (although, for crying out loud, get your own theme music!), but GoT certainly had a broader scope to it, even early in the first season. This show seems solely focused on the succession of the king.

SPOILER for those that did not watch next week's teaser:
It seems the king survives and that life goes on, which makes me wonder if Ser Cole is still around. Maybe Alicent somehow saved him, but it seems like he would have almost certainly been put to death for what he did.

I agree that there is no redeeming Daemon.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Re: Sam's spoiler...

Regarding Alicent and Cole, I suspect that now that Alicent has leverage on Cole she will use him against Rhaenyra in some capacity. Perhaps she will have a tryst with Cole, perhaps she will use Cole as a mole. I don't know, but I think that Alicent is going to become one of the major players and is going to become pretty sinister in her application of power during the coming conflict over who sits upon the Iron Throne.

- Walter.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
^ I agree about Alicent. What Otto said to her about succession and her children scared her, and she's going to act accordingly.

BTW, Alicent will be played by Olivia Cooke beginning in the next episode, and Rhaenyra will be played by Emma D'Arcy going forward.

I'm going to miss Milly Alcock and Emily Carey. I thought they were the best things about the show so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks