1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

House of the Dead III and HDTV support

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WillY, Oct 8, 2002.

1. WillY

WillY Stunt Coordinator

I love gun games, and was really disappointed with the Guncon II for PS2 because it didn't work with my Sony XBR450. Anyone know if the XBox guns will work with HDTV's?

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

if its a RPTV, then more than likely no.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Consumer RPTVs just are not light gun friendly

4. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Damn! I plan on buying a front projector and was really looking forward to playing this game in particular! What about front projectors and light guns? I'd imagine the same limitations would apply?

5. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

When I had my Dreamcast, I had to purchase the VGA -> Component transcoder from Audio Authority and play House of the Dead 2 in VGA mode on my TW40X81.

Since almost all games support 480p on the Xbox, I assume that House of the Dead III will support it also. If this is true, then the Light gun will surely work for TV's that upconvert the signal to 480p!

6. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

7. Michael St. Clair

Light guns work fine with many (but not all) NTSC RPTVs.

However, a game must be specifically coded to support 480p.

8. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

I've always though that this was odd. Since almost every arcade gun game seems to use a rear projection monitor ie. Time Crisis 2, Jurassic Park, Brave Firefighters etc..are these special monitors?

9. Jeff Kleist

Leroy, 1-Those are turned up to torch mode, and 2, all versions of the game use the same equipment,which can be custom tuned for the guns

10. Dave W

Dave W Stunt Coordinator

Just wanted to add that I have played gun games on my RPTV on both Dreamcast and PS2 but they always loose calibration in like 5 minutes. [​IMG] HoTD2 is a great Dreamcast game but I did eventually move it to the little 32" Sony in our front room instead of big screen. I gave up on light-gun games on PS2 as the damn Guncon2 connections (Both controller port and USB, Composite video connection) are a nightmare and always seem to mess up my DVD remote on PS2...

11. WillY

WillY Stunt Coordinator

So what about direct view HDTV's? My Sony is a direct view, not a projection TV.

And what are some examples of 100 MHz TV's?

12. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i am also very curious about this - i have a direct view HDTV (F38310) and HOTD 2 for my dreamcast did not work via s-video.

I was hoping Time Crisis 2 would work with my PS2 via component inputs but a comment in this thread seems to suggest otherwise.

So, if HOTD3 for Xbox isn't at least 480p, it won't work with hdtvs? what if's 720p and gets downconverted by tv's like mine? i don't think i'm going to buy an XBOX if i can't play HOTD 3.

13. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Count me curious.. I want this game, but want it to work with the light gun on my Mits 55857 in 480p mode.
    If anyone has info on compatability with this model TV, I would appreciate it being posted here.
    Thanks [​IMG]

14. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

15. Michael St. Clair

When HOTD3 comes out (tomorrow?), I'm going to buy a copy at EB, and if it doesn't work I'll return it (and the gun) immediately for a full credit.

Of course I'll report my experiences here.

16. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

I really don't see why the guns won't work on an HD set using the HD pack.

I had no problems with the Dreamcast + VGA -> Component converter + TW40X81. Played the heck out of House of the Dead 2. Too bad the Dreamcast Mad Catz guns were POS and both of them broke after being used too frequently.

17. Michael St. Clair

Ack, I just found out the Madcatz XBox gun is $40! I think I'm going to wait a few weeks and see if anybody else announces one.
    You know, for the PS2 I can get a game with a quality Namco gun for $55. $90 is way too much for a game and a shitty Madcatz gun.

18. Jeff Kleist

19. Michael St. Clair

It's the code more than the guns...most lightguns are not smart at all, they are just a photosensor. But the game code needs to handle the different scan rates, blanking, and so on.
    I doubt if you take apart a Dreamcast gun or an Act Labs PC gun (both of which work with 480p) that you'll better photosensors or circuits.
    Throwing in sets that can convert the scan rates (like 480i to 480p or 960i) requires the code to be even smarter. HotD2 for DC will work fine on a 480p TV via the VGA box, but if you use 480i s-video and let the set convert to 480p, it will not work. Why? The gun doesn't care, but the code isn't smart enough to handle it.

20. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

I always thought the main reason was in the case of HOTD2 in the DC is the Code is set to 480i. However, the TV automatically upconverts the signal to 480p. So the code is computing the 480i timing however, the tv is at 480p so it's a mismatch.

However, when you use the VGA box, the code is doing 480p since the output is progressive. The tv is doing 480p so everything is fine.

If HOTD3 supports 480P using the HD pack, then there should be code there to support 480P thus the gun should work fine. But, if HOTD3 only has support for 480i then it won't work.