House of the Dead / Alone in the Dark

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Scott Weinberg, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Both are based on video games, both directed by German filmmaker Uwe Boll, and both have trailers online that you can check out.

House of the Dead hits theaters on October 10th. Pre-release word (it's been released outside of North America) seems pretty bad. But it's a horror movie and it's got Clint Howard in it, so I'm looking forward to it. Trailer looks fun-cheezy.

Alone in the Dark seems a bit more promising so far. It's still in production, with Christian Slater, Tara Reid and Stephen Dorff on board. The trailer's not half bad.

So yeah. This is what Resident Evil caused. [​IMG]

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

HotD was a horrible idea from the beginning. (why the hell does the narrator say "based on one of the most popular videogames of all time" in the trailer? HotD isn't THAT popular)

AitD was a better idea, but it all depends on how it's done.

RE was good for what it was, but wasn't much.

I'm looking forward to Silent Hill. All the game in the series are movie-quality, but the second would be the best because it's story is independent of the other two (1 and 3 have intertwining stories).

3. James T

James T Screenwriter

I saw trailer to House of the Dead when I saw Freddy vs Jason. It seemed kinda like Omega Man. I'm still curious as to how or why a bunch of college students go to a party island and find a crap load of guns? Maybe for no particular reason, a bunch of Navy Seals washed up on the island?

I've been a fan of Alone in the Dark since the first game. The other games just never caught my attention. I just saw the trailer for the first time(thanks for the link) and it looks alright. They only filmed a couple weeks so it might be better than the trailer shows. I guess it's just me, but I'm kinda disappointed that there are too many cast members. It could be a good movie if they just had the main characters(Christian, Tara and Stephen) and then just had them running around in the house. It worked for the Others to have a small cast.

4. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

I made the mistake of going to see House of the Dead. (I'll basically go see any horror film.) It's easily the worst film I've seen all year. This has got to be one of the worst scripts in the history of film. Mind numbingly stupid on all counts, dialogue, characterization and story. The acting was extremely bad even for the low budget horror film genre. Then it was directed with all the skill of a crackhead monkey with no limbs. To top it off, this has got to be some of the worst editing I've ever seen.

The only good thing about this film was the zombie designs. They looked good, but were completely wasted by everything else in this horrendous piece of crap.

Anybody else sit through this attrocity?

5. Gregg Shiu

Gregg Shiu Second Unit

I only have two questions. Who the hell is giving Uwe Boll more money to make these video game movies, and how on earth did he manage to even get a cast of that caliber for Alone in the Dark?

6. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I think Alone in the Dark has a shot at being good. Unlike Resident Evil and House of the Dead, Tthe Alone in the Dark game were based on good movies/books.

7. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

I personally would like to see a faithful adaptation of the first Silent Hill game, the second game was OK but I feel the first one's plot is better suited to the big screen (at least as a first film in a hopeful series) plus the fact that those dead children in the school were the creepiest thing I have seen for a long time and I think would work well in a film....with the right director that is.[​IMG]

As far as this "Video Game Movie" trend being blamed on Resident Evil, I think Tomb Raider's succuss has a part to blame more-so than RE.

8. Tim Ford

Tim Ford Extra

I can't get the AITD trailer to run, but if it's based on the original game, I'd buy my tickets now! [​IMG]

9. Les Samuel

Les Samuel Stunt Coordinator

House of the Dead was in the movie theater already? Man it must be bad I saw the trailers on TV but I though it was being released later from now.