What's new

House Of Flying Daggers R1 - April 19 (1 Viewer)

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
The details thus far:

MSRP: $28.95 (two-pack with Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - $36.96)
Audio commentary by Zhang Yimou (director) and Zhang Ziyi
Making-of featurette
Music video
Photo gallery

Full specs to follow shortly.

R1 cover artwork (proposed)

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Never got to see it in theatres because it never came out over here:angry: but I plan on buying this one blindly. I know it may be a tired comparison, but I loved Hero and will probably equally love this.

Can't wait. With Das Untergang, Tae Guk Gi, etc, this is a great year for foreign flicks.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
It came here for exactly 5 days, and I missed it...I guess I'll have to buy it, but I already have Crouching Tiger, and I highly doubt it'll come out bundled with the Superbit Crouching Tiger anyway.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If I get this it will be my third purchase of the film. More than likely I will :b I was planning to see this on the big screen, but I procrastinated too long.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
I wonder if it will be the international version or the edited US version (edited to get a PG-13)?

Ron

Andy Kim

Second Unit
From Sony Pictures website:
http://www.sonypictures.com/homevide...396091788.html

DVD FEATURES

• Commentary with actor Ziyi Zhang and director Zhang Yimou
• Creating the Visual Effects featurette
• Making of HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS featurette
• Theme Song 'Lovers' Music Video
• Behind the Scenes Photo Gallery
• Costumes Gallery
• Storyboard Comparisons
• Previews
• Audio: Dolby Digital 5.1 (Mandarin, English, French)
• Subtitles: English, French
• Anamorphic Widescreen Presentation

I'm waiting for the Superbit, myself. Those features look pretty weak aside from the commentary. I wonder if that will be in Chinese with subs or what? Those accents together would probably be unintelligible. I have a Chinese DVD that has the most incredible full-bitrate dts I think I've ever heard. Problem is, the video appears to be from a PAL source, and the source wasn't progressive. It has major video issues. But a Superbit of this would surely be reference in any way. It's one of the most beautiful looking and sounding movies I've ever seen.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
It never made it to theaters by me - could someone tell me if it is more artsy like Crouching Tiger, or more straight forward like Hero? I definitely prefer Hero.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Hmm...I would call Hero more artsy and Crouching Tiger more straightforward...but I would say HoFD is most similar to the Hong Kong martial arts film than the other two. That is, long on action, shorter on character development. People have praised or criticized it for these reasons, depending on their preference. My preference goes Crouching Tiger, Flying Daggers and then Hero. All three I own and enjoy so it's a choice between good and good ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just don't go in expecting either Hero or CTHD, it's a different story, with little in common with either of the aforementioned films.

I've got the Region 3 2-disc edition, and its dts audio track is pretty amazing.

RyanAn

Screenwriter
"From the director of "Hero" and the star of "Hero" and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and the guy who saw "When Harry Met Sally"

-

Well, other than the caption being a little to long and showy, althought it is ok in this case :D , the coverart and initial specs look pretty sweet. And, yes, I would really recommend this film to people who did not get a chance to view it previously.

ryan

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
The trailers for this on recent Sony releases are really fantastic looking and sounding. Hopefully the disc will live up to that!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
The commentary is potentially very enticing. I just might have to get this disc, even though it's the US "cut" version.

I saw some pictures of the Starmax edition, and the Edko 2-disc SE/3-disc LE (same transfer) is still the best I've seen. The Starmax DVD has horribly blown-out contrast levels.

Has there been a Superbit announced? If not, would a Superbit release seem to be likely?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Do you have links? This is surprising considering they did so well with Hero. I'm sure many are disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks