What's new

House Of Flying Daggers OFFICIAL R3 DVD Release Oct 18th! (1 Viewer)

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I've been seeing trailers for HoFD on some R1 Columbia Tri-Star/Sony dvds. Looks like they may have the rights for this in R1. HoFD Superbit in our future?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
That's great. Now where to get it? Yes Asia is showing it as out of print already! :frowning:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks Mike. Now I'm wondering how many copies of this movie I'm going to wind up owning :)

Ralph Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
I just got the new 2-disc version from Edko but the disc freezes a little more than halfway through (it starts to skip just as the battle in the bamboo forest begins and then it won't go any further). Hopefully I just got a bad disc!

I could tell from watching the first half that the transfer on this version is a lot better, though.

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
It seems that CDWOW has gotten a bad batch of the two disc edition. I've read reports on various web sites of a similar problem, disc freezing in exactly the same place, just before the Bamboo forest. Other suppliers don't seem to be effected. I got the special edition box set from DDDHOUSE and the disc played fine. And what an improvement on the original release from a few months ago!

Les Fowler

Grip
After watching my Edko 2 disc version it is better video than the previous release ,its not Superbit but still better, and the dts 6.1 is superb. Mine does not freeze up but there is a split second blip at the layer change at 62 min. 46 sec.into the film. The second disc has no English subtitles but Im lucky my wife can translate it .

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I also got a defective disc in my 2-disc version from the Wow.

When notifying them, I specifically asked them if they were sourcing a new batch or would just replace it with existing stock. I was told they were getting new copies.

I then got an email saying that new stock would be in on the 15th. In another forum, someone has just received a replacement copy and said it was good. So it looks like its worth exchanging again. Mind you, if yours was shipped a while back, you could still get a bum copy.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I notified them of my problem yesterday and got a notice today that a new copy was sent out. That was a nice surprise. Hopefully it's one from the new batch.

Jim Blackie

Stunt Coordinator
Waited until the other day to view this. A roomful of people munching popcorn and totally absorbed in the film. Then GLITCH! and it all went to hell. I tried my other region free machine with the same results.

Went on line, got to that other forum and read the bad news. I had a bad CD-WOW disc. Sent 2 emails and was instructed on how to return my defective copy. To date, no notice on a shipment to me for the replacement. -- This really bites.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

Sorry to hear that. If I'm going to be screening a DVD with a group I try to watch it beforehand. My group viewing of HofD was supposed to be this coming Saturday, but now we have to reschedule. The replacement may get here by then, but I'll still need to watch it through to feel secure about it. The other thing that took a bit of lustre out of the event was the fact the movie showed up in a local theater three weeks earlier than expected. I'm glad it's getting more coverage, but the party went from "See it early" to "See it in somebody's house!"

Jim Blackie

Stunt Coordinator
Live and learn... It's the ONLY disc ever to come to me unwatchable -- I almost said defective, but I did get a bad copy of Leon (forgot what it was exactly, but it was some audio glitch), the Prisoner set #2 (bad audio on Chimes of Big Ben), and Monty Python and the Holy Grail (can't turn off subtitles).

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Got my replacement today; problem area is resolved but will watch it all the way through to be sure. Video quality is improved from the single disc Edko, but there are still issues with the transfer - mpeg noise mainly. I'll be waiting to see what CTS does with this in the next couple months.

jason:g

Stunt Coordinator

High Definition is probably the way to go with this one.

Too many scenes involving "pasty" colours (greens) - obviously will show mpeg noise...

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
The 2 disk version is much improved and we're basically getting what we should have received with the initial single disk release. The video noise I can deal with, but i'm dissappointed with the subtitle timing. A lot of the dialog seems to flash on screen only for an instant making it difficult to follow sometimes.

In regards to the CTS version, I'll definitely pass since its been foolishly edited for U.S. audiences.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

I'm a very fast reader so I've rarely had issues with subtitles being too fast. But I can understand the complaint, knowing that not everyone can read that quickly. Actually, though I was able to keep up, I noticed the intro was especially fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks