What's new

House of Cards - Season 5 (1 Viewer)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
5x01. Oh boy. Such a strong first episode. I don't remember a recent series that started this strong with its first episode.

Spoilers for episode 1.

When they started to think about writing a travel ban, I couldn't stop laughing. :D

Questions. I don't remember correctly the last season. Who is this ICO group and what they do? Did the president directly or indirectly cause the kidnapping and the murder? Why the victim's family, especially his daughter disliked Underwood and told him you killed him? What they know?

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
He is running for a second term but it's his first time being elected, right? Can he run for a third time if elected or his first term is counted as election?

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
As you can see, the Founding Fathers didn't plan for this.

But I did.

Meet your new daddy.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Spoilers -- don't read until you have finished season 5

For those who have finished this season, I wanted to see if you thought the show jumped the shark. IMHO, Frank would never accept being outed as president, much less have a hand in his own demise. For me that kinda killed the spell the show had over me. There were also other things, like the clumsy way the characters would come out and not only kill or physically injure other characters, but openly admit it in very direct dialogue. There was a nuance and sophistication, and indirectness, in the other four seasons that was lost in season 5.

For years all Frank talked about--including this season--was winning. No way does he put himself in that position at the end of the episode. I saw the hands of the writers this season. Not the unwavering resolve of Frank. And the show is markedly more shallow because of it.

As of this moment, statistically at least, the reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes agree with me.

Last edited:

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I thought this season was fantastic but... Not sure where the heck it is going now... Alan, I'm not sure it jumped the shark as I believe he thinks he is still winning but we will see. Now we just have to wait another year...

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have not finished the season yet but one thing that annoys me is the use of current real people. Especially real news anchors. It's a fiction, use actors in their place.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I want to finish this and the real House of Cards gets in the way.

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Spoilers for 5x11. Do we know who is the leaker? Who sent the USB key?

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Spoilers. Just finished the season. I do agree that they jumped the shark in certain parts. Especially the way they handled secretary Durant at the end. In the white house?! 3 steps? Come on.

Also the assassinations. They had no assassins before, they killed people themselves. they couldn't trust other people. Now suddenly they have assassins killing a person at the end, out of the blue? That did not work with the rest of the series.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Especially the way they handled secretary Durant at the end. In the white house?! 3 steps? Come on.
Yes, that was laughable. First, Frank isn't that sloppy. Second, how can he guarantee that she will 1) die from the fall; or 2) be unable to finger him if she doesn't die? That was almost Three Stooges-like.

What was once subtle and indirect storytelling has in season five often become clumsy and over the top.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
All these discussions are spoiler filled, so beware.

Claire telling Yates about the killings was also unnecessary. I didn't even know that Claire knew about the killings.

Our favorite bad actor, Yates was back and I'm so glad he is out. He couldn't save his life acting!

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
About Durant.

Either he has no assassins, he can only do it himself and he is desperate so he did it in the white house. That could be understandable.

But if you have assassins going after someone else, that makes no sense.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
'House of Cards' Creator Beau Willimon Calls Kevin Spacey Accusations "Deeply Troubling"

What this means for the future of House of Cards? They will cancel it? It seems it's still not picked up.
If NetFlix's reaction to the Cosby sexual assault allegations in 2014 are any indicator (Bill's Netflix made comedy special never aired!), I fully expect HOUSE OF CARDS to disappear from their lineup in short order. At the very least, I don't see there being any further involvement with Kevin Spacey.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If NetFlix's reaction to the Cosby sexual assault allegations in 2014 are any indicator (Bill's Netflix made comedy special never aired!), I fully expect HOUSE OF CARDS to disappear from their lineup in short order. At the very least, I don't see there being any further involvement with Kevin Spacey.
It may not be quite the same. I don't hear Spacey's accuser claiming anything happened other than momentary inappropriate behavior. At least based on what's been reported so far, it seems more disturbing than criminal, unlike the Cosby allegations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eathree
Recent bookmarks