What's new

House of 1000 Corpses dropped yet again (1 Viewer)

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
Julie, I think I must have mis-typed the intent of my statement:
There seems to be no other reason for these kinds of flicks to exist other than to provoke a reaction to their visceral immunity to emotion and humanity.
I was meaning to say that the films themselves had no particular root in emotion, not that the audience itself didn't.

I have no inherent problem with gore. Evil Dead 2 is, in fact, a favorite film of mine. I can appreciate the horror-movie-as-self parody message, as well as the homage to the Stooges and a general air of cheese. But I believe films like the Jason Vorhees series are exempt from that kind of response. They exist only to thrill those thrilled by gore with no subtext.

I'm reminded of numerous "reviews" dealt out by Roger Ebert in the 1980s, when this genre was at a zenith. He seemed generally shocked that the audience would cheer and yell support whenever someone got an ice pick in the eye. I fail to see how that earns its worth on any level other than pure shock value, and I'm wary to think those viewers were some Level 3 film lovers who got some joke I must have missed.

I'm certainly not suggesting these films be shelved or censored, but I do think greater attempts need to be made to restrict their views by an audience who fails to appreciate such work on the level that you or I might. Nor do I think such supervision is fully the responsibility of theater owners, although it certainly starts there: parents need to be made aware of what their children view. An endless stream of slasher flicks, no matter how innocuous they may seem, can't help but contribute to desensitization.

Julie K

Screenwriter
but I do think greater attempts need to be made to restrict their views by an audience who fails to appreciate such work on the level that you or I might.
I don't believe anyone here has suggested that House of 1000 Corpses is appropriate for children.

As to the issue of whether or not you find such movies enjoyable, I would say there's a very clear resolution: don't go if you don't like them.

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
Ross, (and boy, I hope no one thinks I'm flooding this thread),

Bringing up my taste for martial arts and 'ultimate fighting' (a slang term like 'slasher flick') was intentional, and I knew it would bring up concerns over my potentially hypocritical point of view.

My point was simply this: I enjoy drama in all its forms. Movies, television (sometimes), books, and some sports. Conflict is, of course, the essence of drama. And conflict in its barest form could be two guys trying to physically subdue one another. I'm attracted to that dynamic. I see a chance to relate to it on numerous levels: as human challenge, as drama, as athletics, as skill, and as a test of one will against another. I can see the point behind the violence (which, to digress a bit, is superficially unpleasant to most, but very rarely serious).

I cannot, however, see the point behind mindless slasher films. I just don't see how the gore holds any deeper meaning than what's on screen. (And I speak of only the notorious films, like Friday, Silent Night, etc.) Blood for the sake of blood does not appeal to me.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Blood for the sake of blood does not appeal to me.
Good. Then don't go see gory movies. However, don't presume that the rest of us will agree with you or follow your example.

(To the rest of the folks looking forward to the movie: I sure hope it lives up to the reputation it's starting to gain!)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Good. Then don't go see gory movies. However, don't presume that the rest of us will agree with you or follow your example.
Amen to that. We are arguing tastes here...and that's really a point that can't be argued.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter

Have you guys ever watched Ultimate Fighting Championship? It is a strict sport, not a bloody free for all as seems to be the public perception. It has very specific rules and safety regulations, and outlaws many dangerous moves and techniques. Most of UFC takes place on the ground, as fighters lie tangled up on the mat, trying to outsmart their opponent to earn a submission. There is boxing/kicking, etc, but in UFC fights get stopped very quickly once someone is clearly losing, much quicker than in boxing I might add. It is a mixture of several fighting styles and is very fun to watch. How this sport got such a bad reputation I'll never know. If you watch a boxing match they are almost always much more bloody and many many more injuries occur in boxing than in Ultimate Fighting Championship (in which no one has ever been killed).

Julie K

Screenwriter
Have you guys ever watched Ultimate Fighting Championship?
No, I haven't and I won't be watching it either. But that doesn't mean I'm going to go into a thread and tell the folks that do enjoy it that they are, let's see, a "portion of the population so emotionally and intellectually stunted that only bloodletting rouses them."
:rolleyes

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Just reading between the lines, it looks as if MGM had some reservations about it if Zombie was re-editing at their expense.

Studios will often put money into something without having any definite plans for it. I've made a few bucks here and there from studios who paid me to write something that was never used or which never sold. While five or ten thousand dollars is a lot to you and me, it's not much to a studio. Letting someone use an editing bay is dirt cheap. MGM may have been more "curious" than "committed."

Anyway, it'll get out one way or another. Doesn't really look like my cuppa, but if there's buzz about it I'd rent the DVD.

Jan

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Once again, I'm with Julie all the way on this one.

And regardless, I'm just pumped to see the film. Does anyone have the trailer, my HD went down a month ago...and I can't seem to find it online anymore.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the news, Scott. I look forward to checking this out in the theaters. With any luck, one of the local theaters will show this as a midnight movie. I saw Terror Firmer at a midnight showing for its 'Milwaukee Premiere' and the theater was packed with fellow Troma fans. It was a nice entusiastic audience, and would also appreciate Zombie's film.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
As of now, Lion's Gate has it set for a March release date.

The specific date hasn't been set yet.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

likestowatch

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, I just went to Rob's site and then jumped to the film's site. I saw the Lion's Gate logo and the banner that says the soundtrack is available in march. I could not find any specific date for the film's release.

I also saw the 'R' rating on his website so Rob was still not able to release the uncut version. That's too bad. Everything's about $.

Users who are viewing this thread