House of 1000 Corpses dropped yet again

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin_S, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

It seems as if MGM has dropped HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES, leaving it once again without a distributor. Here is the story:
    From www.blabbermouth.net
    ROB ZOMBIE's "House Of 1000 Corpses" Gets Dropped By MGM - July 22, 2002
    ROB ZOMBIE's much-talked-about movie, House Of 1000 Corpses, has been dealt another blow as MGM has decided to drop the project several months ahead of its previously-announced Halloween release, BLABBERMOUTH.NET can exclusively reveal.
    Details are sketchy at the moment, but informed sources have indicated that ZOMBIE plans on releasing the film himself in September. No further information is available at this time.
    As you may recall, House Of 1000 Corpses was originally due to be released through Universal, but as a result of the movie's controversial content, the company pulled the plug on it prior to its originally-projected June 2001 release.
    The $7 million House of 1000 Corpses, which was reportedly edited down to an R rating for MGM, will be accompanied by a soundtrack that will feature new material co-penned by ZOMBIE and longtime producer Scott Humphrey.
    Following the completion of this year's Ozzfest trek, which features ROB ZOMBIE on the main stage, the singer will start work on his second horror film, the details of which have not yet been divulged.

2. Jordan_E

Jordan_E Cinematographer

Come on! What is up with this movie? Cursed? It sounded worth checking out to me, but I guess I'll have to wait for the DVD.

3. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Jeez, I can't take much more of this. I've been waiting patiently for over a year and now I still have to wait longer. I just hope I can get to watch it by the end of the year.

4. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Man, this is ridiculous! What's it about? Zombie high-school kids with machine guns?

(That's topical humor up there, not politics!)

Damn, I just wanna see the damn movie already!

5. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

There's another site that I visit that's been looking into this and is trying to confirm it. But I will say it sure doesn't look good.

6. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Man that pisses me off .... just when I see a silver lining, MGM trashes it.

7. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

Yeah but if rob releases it on his own (without mgm) cant he put the nc-17 back in it....

8. James E

James E Stunt Coordinator

Dave, if Zombie releases it on his own to DVD it doesn't need to be rated at all.
    james
    P.S.
    [​IMG]MGM

9. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Man, this is getting old! These studios are such weenies.

10. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

[​IMG] I'm dying to see this film. It seems that the American horror film has been neutered. I was looking forward to seeing a film with some... you know. All the best horror films I've seen in the last few years have been Japanese. Let's hope that Rob can get this released to DVD unrated. Maybe Anchor Bay?

11. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

Figured it was too good to be true anyway really...most studios don't have the balls to pull something like this anyway. Now, if the film had been done by a director that they cream over, then it wouldn't be a problem at all.

What I am saying? That if the had a name like Cameron or Speilberg attached to it, then the movie would have stood a chance (that is of course if either one of them would do anything out of PC rank of film)...but with a name like Rob Zombie...they simply don't care.

12. Terrell

Terrell Producer

That's the catch though Chuck. Neither Spielberg or Cameron would be caught dead making a film like this, as you hinested at. I've heard horror stories about some of the things in this film. Stuff that would make the dinner scene in Hannibal kids fare.

13. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

That's the catch though Chuck. Neither Spielberg or Cameron would be caught dead making a film like this, as you hinested at. I've heard horror stories about some of the things in this film. Stuff that would make the dinner scene in Hannibal kids fare.
    __________________________________________________ ___

And I agree...BUT...that doesn't mean that it should stay hidden or face the problems that it has with a company. (And as far as that dinner scene goes, I find things on the news more problematic than that scene...and the news isn't even rated.)

When Universal first said, yeah, let's do a film called House of 1000 Corpses and, by the way, it is being directed by Rob Zombie...what the fuck did they expect? Romper Room on bad acid? They knew what the were getting themselves into. MGM knew what they were getting themselves into as well. To bow out now simply indicates that they never should have gotten involved to begin with.

(By the way Terrell...saw that you had the Fantasia box on your wist list...you should get it...sooner or later, you know Disney will end it and you will kick yourself for it...nice set.)

14. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

15. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Yeah, I've put off buying it long enough.

16. L. Anton Dencklau

L. Anton Dencklau Second Unit

Something about this seems odd. Is Zombie adament that a major studio release the film? I think if he tried to make a deal with any of the smaller distributors (IFC, Artisan, Lions Gate) he could have distribution tomorrow. Has he played it at any film festivals?

17. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

Has no one thought of the possibility that maybe the film isn't any good?

18. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

Hmmmmmmmmmm.............Interesting concept! [​IMG]

19. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Well,
    1. I highly doubt that the MGM execs would have agreed to distribute the flick without seeing it first...which makes this turnaround kind of surprising.
    2. Quality means nothing. Studios fight each other every month to release their crap ahead of someone else's crap. The main reason a distributor would drop a flick is quite simple: they think it wouldn't turn a profit. If this flick is as 'extreme' as I've read it is, that means it probably isn't considered a 'multiplex' release, and that means no big payday.
    Zombie should just sell the flick to Anchor Bay!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

20. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter