House, M.D. ???

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Bryan Toth, Mar 24, 2005.

1. Bryan Toth

Bryan Toth Stunt Coordinator

Gord, David, anybody ..... any word on if/when we'll see the 1st season of House?? Any rumors or speculation out there??? I've found it to be one of my favorites of this year, and I'd love to see a full-fledged release (maybe some cast commentaries, interviews about their feelings on the character of House, etc ....)

Bryan

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Well, it's a Universal show, and they at least seem to be trying to get their recent seasons out quickly. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a Season 1 set out sometime in October (figuring it'll premiere in November again).

3. Mick Tees

Mick Tees Second Unit

There have been a lot of doctor shows over the years. They all have their hook that draws you to watch the show over and over again.

I love the premise for this show. Dr. House is a clever, funny, sarcastic, genius physician. He's like a Sherlock Holmes of medicine.

I heard recently that they've already renewed the show for another season.

I would buy it if it came out on dvd.

[​IMG]

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

An amusing obersvation since Holmes was created by a medical doctor, who based the character on one of his teachers - the legendary Scottish physician Joseph Bell. Conan Doyle envisioned Holmes as a man who pieces together clues to discover who committed a crime the same way that a doctor examines a patient's symptoms to discover what illness is causing them.

So a literary figure has come full circle. [​IMG]

Joe

5. RyanAn

RyanAn Screenwriter

Sign me up to be first in line for a release of this show. Although I normally have to tape it and catch it at a later date, it is one of best shows on television right now and seeing it in Widescreen on DVD would just one more reason ot get it.

Ry

6. Natalie F

Natalie F Stunt Coordinator

Am I crazy, or does someone else remember rumours that FOX was going to start the next season early in August to avoid baseball (or whatever) clashes?

Either way, I hope they release the first season on DVD soon; I'll be first in line to buy it.

7. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

It's quite possible; they ordered extra first-season episodes even though that would be enough to take them into late June, so those are probably being saved for an early start; it would also explain why they're apparently going to start shooting the second season early (causing Hugh Laurie to drop out of Superman).

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

This was reported in Entertainment Weekly (that House would return early in August, then get pre-empted by the baseball play-offs, and then piggy-back on American Idol again)

9. Chris Bergmann

Chris Bergmann Second Unit

A text commentary commenting on the medical facts would be interesting.

They do seem to take the facts behind each week's disease very seriously.

I even looked some some stuff up on the internet after watching the shows.

I agree that it's one of the best new shows this year - this is one DVD release I'm really looking forward to.

10. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Holmes was also famously a drug addict and cold to women, with the possible exception of Irenee Adler. ("A Scandal in Bohemia") Although Conan Doyle doesn't say so, it is accepted dogma among certain of the Master's fans that she was the one true love of Holmes's life and that he avoided other women, in part, because none of them lived up to the standard she set.

It is all downright spooky, I tell you. [​IMG]

I'm hoping that House Season One arrives on DVD sometime before House Season Two debuts - which seems to be the pattern for recent series. (Rescue Me streets on June 7th, for instance, and the new season starts June 21st.) Lost and Desperate Housewives are similarly slated to arrive this summer. So now that the finale has aired, I'm looking forward to the House announcement. (Of course, I already have the pilot on DVD. Got that with TV Guide or something before it aired, so I've technically been a House jukie since before the series made its TV bow. I've used the disc to introduce the show to others. The networks and/or studios ought to do more of that sort of thing. It is more convenient to get a friend to watch a series by just handing him a DVD than by taping an episode and delivering the cassette - or worse TiVOing the episode and then having to transfer it to tape or DVD. Hell, making the just the pilot episode of a new series available for free, legal download would be a helluva good idea, for that matter.)

Regards,

Joe

11. Chris Bergmann

I'm beginning to doubt that the first season will be on DVD before the second one starts.

Wouldn't it have been announced by now?

Could it be that this is because the show is produced by Universal but airs on Fox and that Universal has no interest in using a DVD release to promote a show on a rival network?

12. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Hmm. I'm trying to think of a show that's gotten a between-season release despite airing on a competing media conglomerate's station. Nothing is immediately leaping to mind; even Without a Trace is about a year behind, although I imagine it might be a small sample size thing - not many shows air on network TV without being produced by a corporate cousin. How quickly has MGM brought Stargate sets out (of course, they didn't own any cable stations, and Sony just has SoapNet, I think).

I don't think NBC Universal would necessarily hold the DVD back, though; I think it might just be an issue of there not likely being a lot of time. The season ended in May, and it's likely that the new one will start in August, and if they want to include commentary and such for later episodes, that's not a lot of time to produce it and then line up a spot on the schedule.

13. Chris Bergmann

Alias, 24, Desperate Housewives, Lost, Smallville, Joan of Arcadia, Tru Calling, One Tree Hill, Dead Zone, Carnivale, Arrested Development, Everwood, Entourage, Las Vegas all get DVD boxsets before the next season and are produced by a 'corporate cousin'.

ER, Without a Trace, Charmed, House, Cold Case and Veronica Mars are either far behind or not yet announced at all and are not produced by a 'corporate cousin'.

I can't think of a single show that airs on an "enemy" network and has gotten an in-between-seasons release.

14. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Yeah, but ER and Charmed are starting from a backlog (and remember the crap Universal took for releasing Law & Order seasons out of order), Veronica Mars is at least expected for September, and Cold Case is in music rights hell.

I imagine this has some bearing, but not necessarily as much as one might think or in the way one might think - rather than Universal holding House back, it could very easily be Fox Network not wanting the episodes released on video before they've had a chance to air their second run.

15. Chris Bergmann

Okay, but what was the reason for the backlog?

They could have started releasing them years ago (just look at how early X-Files started releasing boxsets).

Veronica Mars hasn't been announced and the only rumour about it comes from the creator's website - at the Warner chat they said that there were no plans.

I don't watch Cold Case, but I guess they always use hit songs from the era the episodes plays in - so they'll either pull a 'Quantum Leap' or not release it at all.

I'm not saying that the corporate rivalry is the only reason for the delay - I was just beginning to see a pattern behind these delays.

16. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

You're using the exception to make a rule. X-Files was the first American TV-on-DVD release to go with full-season sets and it was regarded as a huge gamble at the time. Everyone in the industry was stunned by how well it did, and even then ascribed its success to its cult audience and argued that more mainstream shows - if they found an audience on home video at all - would never succeed with full-season sets.

The conventional wisdom in the industry all through the VHS and laser era was that there was no substantial market for TV shows on home video. With a handful of cult exceptions - The Outer Limits, The Twilight Zone, the assorted Treks - nobody was going to pay good money to own shows they could see in reruns for free. And in general, the conventional wisdom was correct. Given the two-episode per unit, high cost VHS and LD sales model, plus the storage requirements, most shows that attempted a home video release didn't succeed. And that includes The X-Files, which only managed a limited "best of" set and never saw an entire season released.

X-Files was the pioneer that demonstrated the potential of DVD on TV. To have expected contemporary shows to launch at around the same time is to completely misunderstand what a revoltion (and risk) Fox's launch of X-Files was. Even several years later Warner Bros. first tried to release Friends as a series of "best of" sets. Paramount doggedly stuck with its 2-episode per disc, single disc release of the original Star Trek. The question of full seasons of mainstream shows - or even DVD releases at all - remained a topic of debate within the various studios for years after the X-Files debuted. The current cornucopia of TV-on-DVD is a very recent phenomemnon, and you can't reach conclusions about what is happening to a given show now by looking at release patterns at dawn of the category.

Regards,

Joe

17. Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver Supporting Actor

I love House and i'd be pretty surprised if this dosen't come on DVD before Season 2.

18. Chris Bergmann

19. Natalie F

Natalie F Stunt Coordinator

Woo! I can't believe it's coming out so soon [​IMG]

20. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I don't think the show ever had "House M.D." in the credits; it was just something Fox used in the ads, presumably to put the focus on Hugh Laurie as the title character and make sure someone just catching the tail end recognizes it as a medical drama and not an unscripted home-improvement series.

And, woot!