1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

House M. D. - Season 6

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Fantastic ending; what we've been waiting for since Sela Ward left the series, if not from the beginning. They earned it, too. The entire season has been building up to that moment. He literally would not have been able to say the things he said tonight without everything he's gone through. If Hugh Laurie doesn't win an Emmy for this episode, they might as well stop awarding them. Second only to the mental hospital two hour movie as tops for this series.

2. NeilO

NeilO Producer

Quote:

I didn't read the EW, but from the beginning of the episode I suspected her fate. Just seeing House crumpled there on the floor at the beginning you knew there was some kind of tragedy involved.

His heart felt speech to have the amputation was amazingly powerful. Cuddy's expression during it was impressive as well.

3. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I agree. This season began and ended with two of the best episodes of the series. Compelling stuff at the end.

4. Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Pierce
    Great episode, though I had to wonder whether the best choice for disaster situation responders are hospital administrators and gimpy diagnosticians. Granted they're both more than qualified, it seemed odd, since there's not a lot of paperwork to do and they have a pretty good idea of what caused the injuries.

5. NeilO

NeilO Producer

Quote:

We were also wondering why they needed to be there, but that's a small point in a great episode.

6. Josh Dial

Josh Dial Producer

Josh Dial

I thought the exact same thing: well, there's your emmy winner right there!

Regarding the presences of Cuddy and House, everyone and anyone from the hospital who could be there was there, and everyone else was on the hospital side of things bandaging and treating. House's team was only allowed to go back with the crane opperator as a bargaining chip to keep House (who was obviously the best triage doctor there) on site. I think it was logical for Cuddy to want to go, which made House want to go.

One of the best of the series.

7. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

Great show - it probably should have been the series finale. If Cuddy and House stay together... well you know what happens when two main characters who have traditionally been at each others throats, get romantically involved. I think we may have just seen the series pinnacle.

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

It's not just knowing what caused the injuries, it's prioritizing very limited resources based on greatest need. As Josh said, House is probably the greatest triage doctor in the world when he's willing to slum it doing that. There were patients that were doomed but didn't appear to be, and treating their pain and moving on meant other patients who did stand a chance got help in a timely fashion. In such a situation, House is exactly who you want on the scene -- gimpy leg and all.

I don't think so in this case. Unlike many shows with this dynamic, the forces that have kept House and Cuddy apart until now were not artificially induced to keep the tension alive. The next morning, Cuddy is still going to be House's boss and a mother with responsibilities and one pissed off fiance. House is still going to be a closed off anti-social prick with intimacy and control issues. Seeing them make an honest go of navigating the plethora of landmines in their path could actually be more interesting than their sparring/foreplay all of these years. Even as a functional couple, I can't see them being anything but combative.

9. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt

I think one of the really interesting moments is when he looked at a patient who seemed healthy, did a quick review, and concluded that it was simply too late for them; the injury would kill them before they got to the hospital, and he advised them to treat the pain and move on.

That's the kind of expertise they needed at the site. House and Cuddy were also the natural picks to go to something like this. While everyone else can deal with patients, and especially the crush of family that would come after such event, House onsite would mean that he could make quick diagnosis and move on to more patients without having to get into the relationship portion of crisis management.. something normally so crucial.

That's why I found the second half so interesting; the first half of the episode highlighted this. House moving on, patient to patient.. even after he found the girl in the collapse, he left her despite her pleading because he had other patients to see and when he came back, a rescue team was already there; him simply responding with "I told you I'd bring friends" or to that effect.

But as the episode moved on, he became more intertwined in the thing that was his weak suit, having to deal with the relationships of loved ones. I think that's part of what made that ambulance ride so horrific. House, the diagnostician knew that there was absolutely nothing he could do. She would live if it was a virtual miracle and the event was small, but 99.9% of the time, she would die. And no medicine he could give her in an ambulance or anywhere could fix that.

And there he was, in an ambulance with the girl's husband, on one of the most uncomfortable rides back to a hospital... ever.

When he exploded "But I did everything right" I thought it was a great indicator of how badly it was all going... it wasn't just that medicine failed him..

I loved everything about the second half.

10. NeilO

NeilO Producer

Over at the New York Times Arts Beat there is

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/05/18/behind-the-plot-twists-of-the-house-season-finale/

which I haven't yet read, but it looks like it is of interest

11. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

A great episode...UNTIL the last 2 minutes. David Shore has lost all my respect and S6 is a complete write off to me. I enjoyed maybe three episodes.

I'm not dead set against them having a relationship (even though it will kill the show) but how it just suddenly happened out of thin air was ridiculous!. It would be nice, in real life, if things could suddenly turn around on a dime, for someone who's in a really dark place, but it just seemed such forced, over the top writing, to pander solely to Huddy fans. I just hope Cuddy made up this whole convenient break up, with Lucas, so House wouldn't reach for the pills.

I miss the sarcastic, unPC, manipulating douchebag from Seasons 1 to 3. As far as I'm concerned this show ended when House went to the loony bin!

12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

What's interesting about stagnant characters? The show had fallen into a status quo of House almost reaching out of his comfort zone and then pulling back at the last minute, coupled with really depressing season finales. House is still a sarcastic, unPC and manipulative, but for once his motivations arose from somewhere outside himself. He was still mostly selfish, but he desperately wanted not to be. In the end, he finally wasn't. And was still punished cruelly. But his efforts did not go unnoticed.

13. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I somewhat agree Adam. It's clear that Cuddy has always loved House. However, this season - particularly the last 3 or so episodes - she has mostly been out of the picture. I think there should have been better setup leading to this moment. I also think there was a missed opportunity for Cuddy to become more self-aware and clarify her feelings in THIS episode.

She has that great moment where she dumps on House and says she's tired of his crap and she needs to move forward. But, the thing that we missed - that she never communicated to House or the audience - is that she was fooling herself. Her 'moving forward' was denial. What she was really looking for was for House to move forward. The opening of this season gave him the chance - through his stay at the bin and through his counselling. But, he could not move forward as a human being until he admitted he had a problem. And, I'm not talking about the addiction. This episode showed him truly moving forward - he admitted to himself that he is in pain, that the pain has made him miserable, and that he has used it as a crutch and motivation to seclude himself and shit all over everyone in his life. He finally admitted that he has isolated himself and it has made him even more miserable.

Now, my big question is...can the show survive if he TRULY moves forward from this position? Will it be as good if he's not an isolated curmudgeon? Or, will they cheat it and just go back to him being an a-hole?

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I agree that it would have helped if we'd seen Cuddy break up with Lucas to understand her thought process going into that final scene. On the other hand, it would have ruined the surprise and undercut the suspense.

I don't see House ever not being an a-hole. A less isolated, more charitable a-hole, sure, but never a pleasant personality.

15. Andrew Pierce

Andrew Pierce Stunt Coordinator

Andrew Pierce
    I wonder if we'll see a vindictive Lucas next season -- he's shown himself to be capable of successfully messing with House in the past.

16. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

I also wasn't a big fan of the sudden switch, but not because it was sudden. Rather, my issue is that it gave no respect to the PI. I realize House and Cuddy are main characters and the PI isn't, but I didn't feel her sudden dumping of him and picking up with House was decent at all. I mean, they're living together and engaged. One day she's sleeping with the PI, and the next she's sleeping with House? Not cool.

17. NeilO

NeilO Producer

Who is to say that she is actually going to be sleeping with House right away?

18. JimKr

JimKr Stunt Coordinator

Indeed, in season 5 they sucked face (for real, before his infamous hotsex hallucination) then she told him she was vulnerable and it was a mistake.

19. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

I'll revise my statement: "One day she's living with, sleeping with, and engaged to the PI, and the next she's giving herself to house? Not cool."

20. JimKr

JimKr Stunt Coordinator

As opposed to what? A mandatory celibate period before moving on to the next partner? She dumps A and moves on to B, nothing wrong with that. That's how it's supposed to work as a matter of fact.

I'm also betting she tells B to go away shortly after season 7 starts. The timing of the "I love you House" proclamation was no more than a substitute for a season-ending cliffhanger. I've enjoyed House for 6 seasons but this tells me it's time to move on.