House fire 1 street over

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dennis*G, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

So, last night I'm heading to bed around 12:30, I hear a siren going right by my house, look out the front window and I see an orange glow one block over (about 100yds as the crow flies), within a minute flames were shooting about 50ft into the air.

3 fire trucks, 3 cop cars, and an ambulance all at the scene. Took about 20 minutes to get it under control about an hour to get everything put out.

I hope that the family was OK. Looking at the damage this morning, it appears it started in the garage. Destroyed the garage, both vehicles in the garage and a good portion of a corner of the living area (a kitchen on the main level and a bedroom upper floor)

Just a heads up for everyone to make sure they don't overload circuts and to watch those candles this winter season.

As I find out more information, I'll let you know.

2. Phill O

Phill O Stunt Coordinator

This is truly sad. I is not good when one looses a home.

3. Phill O

Phill O Stunt Coordinator

This is truly sad. It is not good when one loses a home.

4. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

That must have been SOME fire... 50 foot flames? How big was the house - just a guesstimate?

5. Dennis*G

standard house for our area, 2 story about 3000sq'

There was nothing on the news about it yesterday, will have to check the paper today to find out that everyone is OK or not.

The fire was hot/strong enough to put the two cars down to nothing but metal shells, and only the front wall of the garage remains.

Just a sad time 2 weeks before Christmas (anytime sucks, but the holidays......thats really depressing)

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    My neighbors house (about 10 houses down) went up in flames about 8 months ago. There son, 11 years old, threw a towel over one of those halogen floor lamps. The towel caught fire, the entire garage was lost and parts of the house.

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

That's what happened at my dad's place. Not a shred of plastic or rubber left anywhere on three vehicles. Anything made of aluminum was melted down to a blob. There was very little left intact in his workshop, and what there was was covered in a residue that is near impossible to remove. I hope I never have to relive that experience again.

8. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I believe the majority of house fires start in the garage. Be careful out there!

9. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

A few days ago there was an appartment fire near my wife's shop in OKC. One adult and three kids died.

It's so unfortunate when someone dies in a fire & it was determined that their smoke detector had dead batteries or they didn't have a smoke detector. Many fire departments will give you a smoke detector for free if you can't afford one.

10. Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr Screenwriter

MichaelK
    When I was 13 we were burned out from a house fire that started in the middle of the night. We didn't have smoke detectors in those days and considered ourselves fortunate to get out alive, given the time the fire started.

11. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    This should be a wake-up call to all of us: check your smoke alarm batteries TODAY. It only takes a few moments and could save your life. Things can be replaced, people can't.

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

We've got redundant smoke detectors in my house. The builder put some in as a part of the standard house, and the security system has one on each floor as well.

Hey check the batteries in those CO detectors as well!

13. Dennis*G

Our dectectors are getting on in age. House is now 10 years old. I should be replacing them. Current ones are hardwired only, so if the power goes out, not good.

Any recommendations on dectectors? I see there are dual sensor ones now. So a dual sensor/dual power smoke dectector would be great. whats a good brand?

14. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Fire in my house is my biggest fear. After making sure my family is ok. Their is just so much stuff that can't be replaced...ie family pictures and home videos. [​IMG]

15. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Yes, among the things dad had in the garage. I still have the 8mm film, but don't know how I will ever be able to transfer it in the condition it is in.

16. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    Forget "checking" the batteries in smoke/C0 detectors. Batteries are cheap - just replace 'em every six months. Most fire deprtments recommend that you change the batteries when you set the clocks at the start and end of daylight savings time. (Of course, the nitwits in Congress just changed DLST so it isn't six months anymore. So do it July 4th and Christmas Day. Close enough to six months and just as easy to remember. [​IMG])

Regards,

Joe

17. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

Some of the smoke detectors are both wired and batery powered as a backup. we have them in our house; I'll look up the brand for you when I replace the batteries.

Mike

18. Neal_C

Neal_C Second Unit

Fortunately for me, I have more info about fire and prevention than most people since my dad is in the Fire Department and has been for 30 years. He has seen everything, as you can all imagine.

You have to be very careful. Candles are dangerous and easy to forget. And don't leave anything running (oven, washing machine, dryer, dishwasher, etc) if you aren't going to be around to monitor it. A fireman friend of my dad's was sitting home one night with his family when is dishwasher caught on fire. Needless to say, if this had happened when he wasn't home, bye bye house.

A 50 cent battery in a smoke detector can save your life. Check them monthly, change the battery atleast every 6 months.

19. Dennis*G

No mention in the paper at all of the fire, except for the fire call report. So at least I'm confident no one was hurt in the fire.

I guess when word gets around I'll find out the cause, and make sure I have nothing that will cause it.

Back to detectors, it looks like Kidde makes a nice dual power/dual sensor unit. Model PI2000 is the model.

20. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    First Alert makes a dual carbon monoxide/fire alarm, also it has visual blinking light for the hearing impaired.