House Electric Ground Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Burzynski, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

Hi all.
    I need some electric advice & guidance - I just bought my first house after being an apartment dweller for years. As a result I know next to nothing about electric, sorry in advance for many basic questions to come.
    I think my CATV is grounded correctly, I just want to be sure. Here is the (all outside) connection path: from pole in street to my house, down side of house to a triple splitter. Attached to this splitter is a green wire.
    This green wire goes to a copper-colored bolt/connector that connects a total of three green wires. The three wires are (1) from CATV coax splitter, (2) the phone box, and (3) the electric meter.
    More info: The main electric box/circuit breaker is located inside the house directly behind/below the location of the outdoor meter. There is a copper-colored wire that goes from the main box inside to the outside and terminates in 2 ground rods (about 5 feet apart). My town has a code regarding the 2 ground rods.
    My questions:
    * I assume the green wire from the meter is connected to my house's ground? If so, my CATV is grounded properly?
    * Where is this "ground box" that I keep reading about everywhere? Is it necessary for me to take the cover off of the circuit breaker box to see this "ground box"?
    * As far as the cable ground goes, I have read of a "CATV ground box". Where is it and how is it different than the regular "ground box"?
    * If a satellite was to be installed it would need to be grounded. The ground connection would be to the same copper bolt that connects the other green wires?
    Thanks.
    Rich B.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Rich,
    The two ground stakes is pretty strange. Typically there should only be one ground stake for an electrical service panel.

3. Richard Burzynski

Wayne:
    Thanks for replying.
    "You didn’t mention, but I assume all these are clamped to one of the ground stakes? If so, everything is as it should be."
    No clamp to the ground stakes - the only thing attached to these ground stakes is the copper wire that comes from the inside main electric box. Green wires from the CATV coax splitter and telephone box are connected to a green wire that goes into my electric meter. From that point, I guess that green wire goes into the house along with the main electric service cable?
    "and I’ve never heard of a “ground box.” "
    I meant to write "grounding block", sorry for the confusiion. What is this block? It is referenced several times (especially towards the end) of the following link: http://www.dbsforums.com/reviews/tech1_5.html
    Thanks.
    Rich B.
    [Edited last by Richard Burzynski on November 04, 2001 at 01:17 AM]

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Rich,

5. Richard Burzynski

Wayne:
    I will check to see where that green wire goes tomorrow.
    As for the "block," I now understand that it is a generic term and not a literal one. I was looking for something that looks like an actual "block."
    Thanks again.
    Rich B.