House curve using receiver's bass control?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Greg->G, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Greg->G

Greg->G Agent

May 14, 2004
    I have a question about house curves. I've read many threads about them, but I've never heard anyone talk about using the equalizer in their preprocessor to help create a house curve. I have a sub with a BFD, and I found the easiest way to make a slope for my house curve was to set the bass setting on my preprocessor to +3 or +4 db (i think that is per octave). But I've never heard of anyone else trying this, so I was curious if there is a downside to doing this. The one I can think of is less flexibility, since I now cannot control how low/high the house curve flattens out at. Any thoughts?
  2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999
    It’ll work, especially if your receiver lets you select the frequency of the bass control. If so between 80 and 100 Hz is a good starting point. The only downside is that the receiver’s tone control adds bass to the mains as well as the sub – that may or may not be desirable depending on your situation. Naturally, take measurements to make sure you’re getting the desired effect.

The BFD can also be set up for a house curve. Check this link for the scoop:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt