Hot to get Dolby Dig. 5.1 out of my speakers?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Josh_adams, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Josh_adams

Josh_adams Auditioning

To whom it may concern I went out on Saturday and purchased a Sony 51" widescreen Projection tv. Model # KP-51WS510 and I also purchased the Sony Dvd Home Theater System Model # HT-6600DP My question is how do I set-up my reciver to Dolby Digital 5.1 I have all the spakers set-up I just need to know what to do to the reciver. Also how can I fully take advantage of the Proggresive-scan feature on my Dvd player? I bought the Monster brand Componit cables for it.

2. Brad_See

Brad_See Stunt Coordinator

Didn't any of these things come with an instruction manual? Not trying to be funny or anything but I think that would be more of an immediate help than any of us.

brad cook

3. DavidCooper

DavidCooper Stunt Coordinator

I was thinking the same thing......those HTIB systems should be pretty easy to follow. They make them that way since they are sold to the general masses wanting to start into the HT world.

If you have everything set up it should automatically decode DD....and as far as the progressive scan. You just hook up those component cables where they tell ya. More than likely it's from the DVD unit to directly to the TV. The rest should be fairly simple I would think.

4. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

In the time you took to write this question you could've looked in the manuals and found your answers...

...also this is a "speakers and subwoofers" thread... [​IMG]

5. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

Hi Josh,

The manuals usually stink, don’t they? I helped a friend set up a Sony Dream System who used to know his cabling many years ago but had not purchased AV for awhile. The manual was perplexing to him for all the terminology, which had changed, and new options etc.

I’ll try to check in and help if you have a specific question. These forums have lots of sub-categories, which are also hard to navigate when you first come in. The Home Theater Basic Area which is here:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...?s=&forumid=51
    might be a good spot for general system questions here at HTF.
    Another good resource for any Sony product owners is:
    Agoraquest.com
    At Agoraquest you can research specific topics regarding your particular Sony model and the questions other owners might have asked concerning its setups or issues, using a search funtion with your model number.

Also if setting up a multi-channel HT system for the first time these 2 spots are worth a read:
    http://white.hometheatertalk.com/connectorglossary.htm
    http://white.hometheatertalk.com/glossary.htm

The Sony HTiB I set up had a progressive ‘button’ on the front of the DVD player which you left on while playing a disc for Progressive scan. You do have to have component cables run from the player to your display for this feature to work. S-Video or composite connections will not pass the signal for proggresive Scan.
    And many units require you to only hook up one of these choices as some are setup to also default to one particular connection if several are hooked up. Just check your manual for this one. (In other words: If the DVD player will always send through its S-Video connection if it sees an S-Video cable hooked up...you want to leave S-Video off...hooking up only componet video to be able to receive progressive scan.)
    Besides getting your connections right. You also prob. need to set up your DVD player in its on-screen menu options to set to decode DTS or DD 5.1 for your included receiver (an option you often have to 'turn on' in DVD players).

Welcome to the Forum. Have fun getting your new setup rolling. What a blast to acquire so much new stuff at once. Both a new display and a new multi-channel system! Good Luck!

6. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

If it's one of those HTIB where the DVD player is a reciever, and it has the dolby digital symbol on it somewhere, then it should do it automatically. If it's one of those HTIB with the DVD player and reciever seperate, you need to get a optical cord (or coax) from radio shack and hook one end to the reciever and the other end up to the dvd player. Dolby Digital will come on when the movie starts, and it should indicate somewhere on the reciever that its on.

Other sidenotes is the turning on the decoding for Dolby Digital and DTS on your DVD player, and that the only way to get DTS to come on is to put the dvd in, and then when it comes to the movies main menu (play, subtitles, languages etc), if the movie has DTS then go to languages or set up and click on it and then it'll come on when the movie starts.

7. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

If you do alittle research, and add $100 to your HT budget you could get a pretty decent set up if you already have a dvd player, like some bookshelves and a center from Bestbuy or Circuit City like Athenas or something, and then whatever is left over for a reciever, once you bring back your speakers wherever you got them. Just bringing an idea to the table if your interested.

Like for instance if i was you, i would do what i just said, get whatever reciever i had enough money left over and push the cost to $650 or $700. Then later on or right away you could get a subwoofer like the Dayton 10" online.