1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

hot summer in the city

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Micah Cohen, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Don't wanna sound complainy, but today, and for the next few days, in Baltimore it's going to be a hundred thousand degrees with a hundred thousand percent humidity. For a waterfront town, it's like living on a hot wet frying pan. It's not a fun heat like New Orleans, where you get to sit in the shade and fan yourself, or Phoenix where you at least used to be able to say, "It's dry." This is slimey, wet Baltimore heat. Your towels never fully dry, and your CAC works overtime and is never able to keep the humidity out of the house. My electric bill's going to be sky high.

I'm tired if having to be out in it. I am tired of short hops to Home Depot and the post office in my car turning into broiling wet saunas, and having to limit all my outdoor work to the pre-noon hours. I'm tired of changing my soaking wet shirt after every trip out of doors.

I like the tropics. Palm trees, ocean breezes, humid days, loin clothes. But this is the city. It's ridiculous. (And I can't wear my loin cloth in the city.)

MC

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Everytime I get out of my car, my glasses fog up and I can't see S**T!!!!! [​IMG]

3. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

I played a round of golf here in Augusta, GA yesterday (no, not at the National); Temp: 96F, heat index 106.

I think I saw buzzards circling over a foursome behind me.

4. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

Here in Toronto, it has been that way for about the past 3 weeks now. Some days it seems you have to get all of your outdoor activities done in the morning because the afternoons can often become unbarable.

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

And it is winter in San Francisco[​IMG]
    Today when I leave the Silicon Valley it'll be in the 90s.
    When I get home it'll be ~60 with the fog drifting in which is fine be me.
    Once when stuck in traffic near Candlestick I was watching the Temperature as we creeped along..... over 30 degrees in about 1/8th of a mile

6. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Denver has been hotter than hell too. But it is usually the infamous "dry heat", so at least it's livable. We don't have AC in the house though, so sleeping comfortably can be fun.

7. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

My first summer in Riverside. Low humidity, but temps have been around the 100 mark for a couple of weeks now. And it doesn't cool down at night like it did in Long Beach. Too bad beach locations are so expensive!

8. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Ah, Global warming.

Sure the record high, 95degrees for 30 days in a row with temperatures not going below 80 at night are a minor irritation. The flipside of no more 60 below zero winters with 8 foot snow-drifts make me want to set a few more hairspray factories on fire.

9. MarkHastings

Didn't we have record lows not too long ago?

10. Wendy_L

Wendy_L Supporting Actor

Micah: I live near Baltimore also so I'm feeling your pain. Fortunately, I work in a well air conditioned office and the A/C in my car works well too. The only time I really spend outdoors is going to and from my car to get to work and to get to the grocery store. Other than that, I stay inside and watch TV.

11. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

ARG! It's like a turkish bath out there today. And tomorrow there are no cute little clouds around the smiling sun on the weather report -- it'll be sun, straight, no chaser!

At least in Frederick, you have trees and shade and stuff.

Baltimore City is like a circle of hell these last couple of days. I need a pool.

MC

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Last summer was pretty moderate here in New England. I never put up my A/C in my apartment at all last year, as I don't think we cracked 80 degrees (maybe 2 or 3 days, max).

This year, it's like a sauna bath and I've had the A/C up since the end of May. And my current job is in a non-A/C office, so I've been sitting at my desk in this sultry weather for 8 hours a day for weeks now, trying to be somewhat productive.

Weather runs in extremes, that's how we get long term "averages" that sound so nice. That said, it would still be nice if the freakin' heat and humidity was a bit less in Vermont than in Florida. [​IMG]

13. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    This why I hate summertime, at least in winter you can compensate for the cold by wearing gloves, hat and coat, but until they come up with an air conditioned t-shirt and pants, being outside in 100+ degree temperatures really sucks. [​IMG]

Extreme heat is just as bad as extreme cold.

14. MarkHastings

John, I TOTALLY agree! It pisses me off to no end when women come into work with short sleeves and short dresses and then complain because it's "too cold in here with the A/C on" [​IMG]

I tell them "Well, then wear more clothes" and they're like "I'm not going to wear a sweater when it's hot out". [​IMG]

But the thing is, at least they can DO something about being too cold, I can't do a damn thing when I am hot. And once you start sweating, FORGET IT! the rest of your day is F***ed! At least if you get a chill, it doesn't ruin your day.

15. Wendy_L

Wendy_L Supporting Actor

It's actually a little cooler today.

I remember a year or two ago when we barely had any 90+ degree days around here. I liked that summer.

16. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Ah, yes. Last night at about 6:30pm, the sky over Balt City got dark and we got that fast-moving thunderstorm, zipped right over, and the temp dropped from 107 (no fooling!) to under 80 degrees in the space of 15 minutes. It stayed humid all night, but it was measurably cooler. And this morning was a classic Baltimore summer morning, in the 70s, nice to sit outside and drink your coffee and watch the flying rats (uh, I mean pigeons) fly around.

Today is brilliant, in the 80s, low humidity.

Much more like Baltimore than Phoenix! Hope it lasts.

MC

17. MarkHastings

Same thing here in CT, but we went from like 92 to 80. I was on the highway (on a bridge) and the rain was coming sideways! It was insane! The road went from completely dry to completely flooded in no less than 5 minutes.

18. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

107? Crikey...

We just got through a two-week long heatwave with temps in the high 90s and heat indices around 110. I'm also in the middle of the Ohio valley, surrounded by countless lakes and rivers, so the humidity never really goes away...

19. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Same her in GA (must have been one LOOOOOOOOOONG cold front); we haven't had any rain in a week, then at 4PM: crash, boom, downpour. And it's cloudy but not raining this morning. Only 75 degrees. AHHHHH [​IMG]

20. Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han Supporting Actor

I was in north New Jersey Wednesday night, and the
    temperature got to 100 degrees. Then the thunderstorms
    came through, and 30 minutes later, we had a 25 degree
    drop. It felt terrific. I knew this was going to be
    a hot summer because last summer was very mild around
    Philly- I think we only had 2 or 3 days over 90 degrees.