What's new

Hot Stove League Baseball Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Shane, I'd say that the Dodgers aren't in great shape, but yet it could be a lot worse. Does any team in the NL West really stand out head and shoulders above the rest? Maybe San Francisco wins it again, but I'm not really as impressed with them as I have been in the past few years. I'd say that after the AL Central, the NL West is the most wide open.

Of course, you do have a point about their ERA and possible batting averages. They scored less runs last year than Detroit which shows how good their pitching was, they'd better hope their pitching is just as good this season or they're in trouble because I don't see their offense as being improved.

Hey did anyone read that Jose Canseko is planning to make a come back?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Shane, I'd say that the Dodgers aren't in great shape, but yet it could be a lot worse. Does any team in the NL West really stand out head and shoulders above the rest? Maybe San Francisco wins it again, but I'm not really as impressed with them as I have been in the past few years. I'd say that after the AL Central, the NL West is the most wide open.
You are mostly right then again I think the Padres look mightily improved.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
You are mostly right then again I think the Padres look mightily improved.
Yes, San Diego did help themselves starting even with the Jiles trade.

Oh, and regarding Jose Canseko, the article I saw in the Atlanta Journal Constitution said that he was going to try out for...the Dodgers.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Oh, and regarding Jose Canseko, the article I saw in the Atlanta Journal Constitution said that he was going to try out for...the Dodgers.
I hope you are kidding. The next thing you know you will be mentioning Deion Sanders will be making a comeback and has mentioned the Dodgers :)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
posted 02.24.04

Canseco to try out for Dodgers
Vero Beach, Fla. -- Jose Canseco plans to try out for the Los Angeles Dodgers, 2 1/2 years after his last appearance in the major leagues.

The six-time All-Star will attend the Los Angeles Dodgers' open tryout on March 1.

"Canseco's people called us," Matt Slater, the Dodgers' director of professional scouting, said Tuesday. "He's welcome to come."

Canseco last played in the majors in 2001, when he hit .258 with 16 homers for the Chicago White Sox.

Canseco served jail time for violating terms of his probation for a 2001 fight at a Miami Beach, Fla., nightclub.
You can relax a bit though as it did mention that this is an open tryout, so its not like they called him.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Here's a headline that caught my interest Warrant issued for pitcher who beaned osprey

This reminds me of the year Randy Johnson threw a fastball that hit a dove or some kind of bird and just obliterated it. The ball never even made it to the plate in that instance. This isn't the same obviously but since it happened in spring training a few years ago I think its time to think about the Johnson dove killing.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Yankees' Williams has appendix removed doubtful for opener

So its clear that the Yankees must now trade for Barry Bonds to take his place. Brewers dispute HBO report Why do I believe the report over the Selig family? Padres' Klesko moves back to left field Lieber slowed by Groine injury they should deal for Randy Johnson just in case. Rangers negotiating to sell naming rights to ballpark Red Sox still prefer renovating Fenway to new park

Those are the major stories in baseball right now, a few other guys learning new positions, guys angling to start opening day, guys struggling to hold on to roster spots or make comebacks, basically all of the stuff that makes spring training fun.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I'm surprised this thread isn't more active given that spring training is now in full force for all major league teams, with actual spring training games starting this week.

Well, there is a bit of good news for the Braves as John Smoltz appears to be healthy and ready to go, which is probably the most important thing we'll have to deal with this season. Hopefully Russ Ortez can keep the amount of runs he gives up down a bit this season, as we won't be scoring as much as we did last season, which was the big factor in him leading the league in wins. I also expect that Mike Hampton will have a pretty good year in his second away from the air of Colorado. I don't know who will be the 5th starter until Paul Bird is ready in May, probably Wright ends up with it.

Soon it will be the right time for some predictions and then opening day comes before the end of the month with Yankees/Devil Rays in Japan.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
It looks like Bonds, Giambi, and Sheffield have now been named as some of the athletes who received illegal steroids from BALCO. Though Bonds still denies ever even being offered the drugs, I'm sure it will eventually turn into an admittance of receiving them but never using them. In Bonds' case, it will probably never be proven that he used drugs, but I think he's guilty by association. His trainer is in deep, deep trouble for distributing these steroids and Bonds allowed the guy to be his personal trainer for years. If Bonds knew the guy was dirty, why wouldn't he fire him (unless he was part of the mess)?

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
On a positive note, it is a possibility that the entire Cubs season will be sold out prior to opening day. The director of the box office says the numbers are mind-boggling. Last Friday the Cubs sold 572,000 tickets, which is a MLB record.

Unfortunately Mark Prior is hobbled by an Achilles tendon problem. While they are saying it's a 5-10 day problem, I can't help believe it's going to be a bigger issue--they say it started last September, and if resting the entire offseason didn't heal it, what are 5-10 days going to do???

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I have noticed some talk developing about Atlanta possibly making a move for Ken Griffey Jr.

I know Griffey has had injury problems the last few years, but if he is in good health, I would not mind at all, seeing him in a Braves uniform.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I know Griffey has had injury problems the last few years, but if he is in good health, I would not mind at all, seeing him in a Braves uniform.
Well, then they'd better come up with a different explanation for their payroll...seriously, I'd question this move big time if it happened. Where is he supposed to play? Andruw is already a terrific center fielder, they just traded for JD Drew to play right field, and I guess the only thing they could do is try to move Chipper back to third base.

I just don't see that happenening, and if they were going to take on a contract like that, why Griffy why not use that money in the offseason and sign guys that are healthier...there are plenty of guys they could've gone after.

The only way I see this happening is if Cincinnati helps pay the contract.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, I just watched a spring training game, I guess I'm desperate for some baseball. The Dodgers had an offensive explosion today, I'm glad its here!

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
What are they doing throwing around money like this, how will they keep their payroll under 20 dollars now?
Because if they didn't sign him, they were about to sell only tickets to Cardinal, Cubs, and Twins fans. :D Plus, they got to cheap out by not signing Sexson. When Jenkins get's injured they'll use it as the reason why they don't/won't have a player over $1million. (i.e. Ben Sheets is gone along with Sexson)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The Dodgers had an offensive explosion today, I'm glad its here!
Against the Mets though. I have to have some sort of guarded optimism here. The stats show that Lima did a pretty decent job and Encarnacion looks to be pretty good.

I could only hope so.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The thing I don't understand about the Jenkins deal is, why not trade the guy who's made out of glass and keep the guy who hits a ton of HR and never misses a game? Are they already anticipating Prince Fielder? He hasn't even made it to high A ball, has he? Why not sign Sexson for the 3-year deal, and then in the 2nd or 3rd year, when Fielder's ready, swap Sexson for pitching help?

Or is this just another Teddy Higuera deal? Especially since they didn't get anything useful for Sexson but a bunch of spare parts. Counsell? Spivey? Overbay? Yikes.:frowning:

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, like I said, I'm glad spring training and baseball overall is here.

I'm not a Dodger fan as you can tell, but I did find it somewhat amusing that they put up big runs in the first spring training game. Of course, these games really mean nothing, you've got starters pitching what an inning if that, guys competing for spots and so on. But, that's part of why I like watching it. But, I hope that this is indicative of the type of year the Mets will have, I don't much care for the Mets!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks