Hot Shots widescreen framing...cut a lot off

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Aric Friesen, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Aric Friesen

Aric Friesen Extra

Ok, so anyone else notice how much of the frame (well the sides at least) are cutoff from the widescreen version of Hot Shots on DVD?

It's very apparent in a scene where a mechanic (working for the bad guy) uses a wrench in his hand and motions for a fighter jet to take off (don't ask for a time in the movie, I'm not near my DVD right now). Anyway, the site gag, is the jet takes off and the guy is all burnt up and jumps off the side of the aircraft carrier to get into the water.

Point of this is, in the movie the guy is visible holding his large metal wrench which has melted from the fire. In the DVD his hand is cutoff on the right side of the screen so you don't even see the wrench.

Anyone else notice this? Is it normal to have that much cut off on a widescreen movie? I just got my replacement Back to the Future II and III DVDs from Universal and was hoping that would be the last time I saw a framing issue on a widescreen DVD.

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Hot Shots was likely filmed "full aperture" on 35mm film... meaning the film's negative would have a 1.37:1 frame, which would be matted (by the aperture plate) by the projector in a theater. For video, the 1.37:1 image is matted to 1.85:1 for DVD. This is the case for most 1.85:1 films shot on normal 35mm.

In fact, for EVERY film, cropping is required to present not only the correct aspect ratio, but the correct framing.

3. Joe Schwartz

Joe Schwartz Second Unit

Patrick, he's complaining about the sides of the image being cropped, not the top and bottom.

4. Aric Friesen

Aric Friesen Extra

Yep, it's the right side that I noticed specifically.

5. Lev-S

Lev-S Second Unit

I have not noticed this and I own both the MAR VHS and OAR DVD edition of Hot Shots and it's sequel. I'll have to check it out...

6. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    Is your system properly calibrated? I noticed with my monitor that a lot of the left side was cut off, until I adjusted the overscan on it. Just a thought.