Hot Shots Golf 3 (PS2)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MatS, Mar 12, 2002.

1. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

please post hands on reviews if you purchase this week

2. Luke Foust

Luke Foust Stunt Coordinator

I plan on purchasing it as soon as I find it in stock somewhere. I have been waiting for so long.:b

3. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

IGN has this to say about it
    I'll be picking this one up today, and sending back the copy arriving on the 15th from my internet pre-order. I simply can't wait.
    I loved the first two, and this one looks and sounds even better.
    On a related note, if you like console golf games, you really should check out Tiger Woods 2002. It is awesome.

4. Chris Rock

Just picked it up at EBX. (Almost the last copy!)

I will post my review/first impressions later today or tomorrow.

5. Luke Foust

Luke Foust Stunt Coordinator

I just finished two tournament rounds and a VS match of this game and I am very happy with it. I was a huge fan of Hot Shots Golf 2 and of Swing Away Golf. If you have played any of the past Hot Shots games, you will be right at home with this one. The controls are pretty much identical. One big difference is determining the slopes on putting. Instead of the red or blue colored dots from past games, you get moving white dots. The speed of the dots determines the slope. It is hard to get used to but I am sure it is only a matter of time.

I love the new point system. It rewards you for everything you do good during a round of golf from drive onto the fairway to make the birdie put. At the end of the round, you can use those points to purchase things in the store.

The characters seem ok and the caddies are a bit annoying. I always end up playing without sound anyway. It seems like the amount of stuff you can un lock is just insane.

If you are a fan of Hot Shots style golf, buy this game. If you are weary about the cuteness or want something a little different, get Tiger Woods 2002. Hot Shots Golf 3 is not a revolutionary game but it is more of the good stuff that we have come to expect from the series.

6. Chris Rock

Luke,

Do you have Tiger Woods 2002?

If so, can you compare the golf physics?

I have HSG1 and HSG2, and also HSG3 now, although I've yet to play it. I also have (and LOVE) Tiger Woods 2002, especially the analog swing. I don't like putting on TW2002, but I've gotten much better at it.

Overall, would you say that, as a golf game, HSG3 is better or worse than TW2002?

I'll be able to judge this myself in about 2 hours...c'mon quittin' time...c'mon!!

7. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

Gamespot certainly wasn't very kind
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...854493,00.html
    that's ok, the reviewer seemed disappointed that there was little new. From what I have heard and read thus far there are some nice additions to the game and why change something that already works (gameplay) just to change it.
    I purchased this today and will be getting to playing it in a few.
    fyi...for anyone who was wondering, it is on dvd
    also the packaging says the online tournament is not valid in the following states: CO, MD, FL, IL, NJ, VT, and MN. Something to do with gambling laws?? Too bad since I am in one of the listed states. I also heard you had to send in your memory card to claim prizes (I assume they return it).

8. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

having just played I cannot say enough good things about this game, therefore I will now log off and play some more
    Welcome Back Hot Shots Golf!!! [​IMG]

9. Chris Rock

I will answer my own question:
    Tiger Woods is a better golf game. The new swing system and the incredible graphics make it feel more like real golf.BUT, if you've played (and liked) Hot Shots Golf and/or Hot Shots Golf 2, you will totally dig HSG3. I know I do.
    This game will keep me busy for weeks. I've finished the first Tournament, and so far I've worked my score to 2 under par. I've gotten used to the putting interface, and I kind of like it. However, you seem to "rim" alot of putts if you hit them a smidgin to hard.
    The game is on a DVD, and I have so far been impressed with the graphics (especially the water effects) and the sound (the effects, that is). The character voices are annoying, especially if you're hitting over par ("Dude, you're slippin'!).
    One of the best things about the game is the seemingly limitless challenge that it presents. I can't wait to beat my record drive, or to get that next chance for an eagle, etc. Also, there's tons of stuff to unlock, including characters, features, and lots of gimmicky extras - but one nice one is the "pinch hit" card. It allows you to have the CPU play for you if you can't seem to beat a challenger.
    Multiplayer is where the game is at, in my HSG and HSG2 experience. I've not had the pleasure of taking on a friend in HSG3 yet, but I'm sure it will be great.
    Overall, I'd rate this game a solid 95 on a scale of 1 to 100, 100 being my highest hopes for the game.

10. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

a warning to all HSG3 players there seems to be some type of bug/disc defect when playing the City Golf Tournament in tournament mode. The game freezes up either in between the 9th and 10th holes or the 10th and 11th. I'm not sure which it is but it just happened to me. I checked some other forums and this very topic is happening to many others out there
    see here gamefaqs board
    I am going to play again and see if these reocurrs. Guess I finally found something bad about this game.

11. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

no lockup second time playing through..hopefully it doesn't happen again