What's new

Hot in Cleveland Season 1 (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Better premiere then I expected. A few pretty funny moments. It's a light hearted comedy that would have fit perfectly on the thursday and friday night lineups a few years ago. The actresses all play well off each other, and the script was conceit - that women who would be "middle of the road" in LA would be seen as "Hot" in Cleavland was cute. I'll keep it on the DVR

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Decent premiere. Valerie Bertinelli is probably the weak link here, as the other actresses seem to operate at a higher level. Betty White and Jane Leeves pay well off each other, and Wendie Malick is a hoot all by herself. Definitely gives off a "Golden Girls" vibe, with Betty in the Sophia role here. Looks like it did pretty well in the ratings, too:

"The show got an average of 4.75 million total viewers and a 1.5 rating/2 share among the key adults 18-49 demo, making it the most successful broadcast in the history of the TV Land Network."

That's better than the best show on the CW network, and higher than some major network shows.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Agreed!

Both that the show is pretty good, and that VB is still pretty darn cute. It is nice to see women in my age bracket still looking hot.

It is good to have some light, fun shows on. I am was getting overloaded with all the crime/doctor/reality shows. I sort of miss the old standard sit-com.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Anyone still watching? I thought this week's episode was pretty good; several LOL moments.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Yea, I am watching. It is a good summer sitcom. THe biggest LOL for me was Carl's character not wanting to go downtown.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thought the premise and cast were pretty cool till I heard it was on cable only. Too bad the networks didn't bite, or perhaps it wasn't sold to networks. I don't have cable, oh well. I guess the networks like a "young" cast for their shows.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
TV Land Renews 'Hot in Cleveland' for second season:

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2010-7-7-tv-land-renews-hot-in-cleveland?m=k

20 new episodes to premiere in January 2011.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I will admit, three of the dirtiest, yet funniest jokes I've seen in a sitcom on a non pay network ever.

Betty White dragging out the Jockey analogy was gut bustingly funny. My wife damn near choked on her drink, and I was rolling a bit as well. Between that and Valerie explaining how she motor-boated her idol.. HILARIOUS.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
Not a great show but certainly an entertaining one. At least it's not a hospital or crime show. I've had my full of them. This is like old school situation comedy, which isn't bad.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I agree. I'm so sick of these single-camera comedies and the "documentary" gimmick used by some of them.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Got a big laugh from the exchange this week between Elka (Betty White) and Will (Joe Jonas, playing Melanie's son who was visiting):

Will: Thanks for letting me borrow your iPod.

Elka: How did you like my "Mall Walk" mix?

Will: Not bad...though I was surprised at all the Justin Bieber.

Elka: Really? I love her!

Will: ......he's a guy.

Elka: Everyone keeps telling me that, but I'm not buying it.

Season Finale is next Wednesday, August 18.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Loved Elka translating the TXT .. good stuff there.

And Dave Foley's dry straightforward style really works when you're trying to play a part so outrageous :)

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
"I was talking to the goiter."

"Couldn't you just give him a biscuit for his guide dog?"

Elka has had some great lines the last two weeks (all season for that matter).

I'm going to miss this show until January.

Free Elka!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
New season premieres tonight. Lots of encore repeats throughout the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks