What's new

'HOT FUZZ', one of the funniest trailers i've seen in some time! (1 Viewer)

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
I didn't know if I was going to like this or not but ended up loving it, it's probably my favourite movie so far this year. I liked Shaun of the Dead but I don't care for Zombie movies very much. Hot Fuzz was a lot funnier. I liked the characters more in Fuzz, they were more interesting, and felt I got to know them better. I liked the slow parts and last 30 mins were hillarious. The only thing I didn't like was the periodic quick edits throughout the movie.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Finally saw this over the weekend (my wife and I were the only people in the theater, which was nice) and thought it was excellent. It's funny to me that for all the referencing of Hollywood action movies, it was at least if not more indebted to the original Wicker Man and Italian giallo and German krimi films. I also liked how the film maintained a sense of pleasantness despite all the mayhem - almost *none* of the villains were killed, everyone got treated and went to jail, which is a huge contrast to the gleeful sadism of the average Hollywood product :)

I think a lot of what makes Pegg and Wright's films work is how they're able to maintain a tight line in terms of subverting the genre they're working with while still maintaing the integrity of the characters. Scenes might have an ironic quality but the characters themselves are almost never ironic; they don't wink or mug for the camera.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It destroyed the integrity of every character except for Pegg and Frost. I get that it was a homage to the Wicker Man, but it rang really false to me.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I liked the beginning a lot, thought it was good tongue-in-cheek.
Then, as soon as he went to the village, it was BORING for a good while with not a lot to really keep my attention.
The second half was great fun.

But the sag in the middle hurt.

:star: :star: 1/2 / :star: :star: :star: :star:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm not the biggest fan of comedies, so I easily dismissed this movie when I saw the trailer. Then, comic writer Robert Kirkman kept talking up Simon Pegg, so I recorded this when it came on an HD channel recently. Enough time had passed that I had forgotten virtually everything in the trailer (the fence hopping and flying kick to the old lady came back to me while watching it), so the "best bits" weren't spoiled. I quite enjoyed it. A nice break from the gross-out/stupidity brand of comedy that has driven me from the genre. I was a little thrown off by the Wicker Man twist, which sort of came out of nowhere for me. Also, I wish they had done a little more with the committee judging the village. I guess we were left to assume the village got low marks from the scene where they were writing as the village fell apart, but I almost wish the villagers had won against Angel and Butterman, only to have caused themselves to fail with the committee with the destruction they had caused.

Now I wish I could see Shaun of the Dead, but it's not on the schedule and hasn't been for a long time (except for on the unwatchable Spike or maybe Comedy Central). I guess I could actually buy a DVD for a change.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
If only there were some service which charged a nominal fee in exchange for the temporary use of a DVD…

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't watch DVDs enough any more to make a rental worth the effort. I have other issues with renting, but I'm not getting into them here for fear of being thought strange (though, I may be too late on that score).

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I went ahead and bought Shaun of the Dead. That's about the best movie of all time. Every movie should be made by Pegg and Wright. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks