What's new

Hot Dogs & Coney Island (Chili) Dogs (1 Viewer)

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
I actually had Coney Island hotdogs for lunch today! Funny to see this thread. I always thought they were a Tulsa thing but I guess not. They've been here since 1926 and we have several around town. The one I love the most was ran by a Greek who made the best chili! His family now runs it and they've kept it the same.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I actually had Coney Island hotdogs for lunch today! Funny to see this thread. I always thought they were a Tulsa thing but I guess not. They've been here since 1926 and we have several around town. The one I love the most was ran by a Greek who made the best chili! His family now runs it and they've kept it the same.
What great timing to bump the thread. Today we are cooking our 4 pounds of Abbott's Original Coney Island Topping imported from Flint Michigan.
218Q+VCLmYL._AC_UL320_ML3_.jpg

Greeks are the ones that started coneys in Michigan as well and still own IMHO the best ones.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Wow- that’s a lot of food.

I’m no connoisseur of hot dogs, or any other food, but I do like the Ball Park Angus Franks, boiled, with mustard. :D

Ha, yes. I could never do a food challenge like this and I am always kind of amazed watching someone else do it. Particularly in this case where it is this small woman and she devours that. To some extent I get a little sick watching it because I know not even a third of the way into that I would not be able to continue.

There are lots of Coney Dog places around the country and the truth is I do like a Coney. It's not something complex, they are typically just the dog on a bun with chili, mustard, and fresh chopped onions. It's sort of hot dog perfection in many ways, at least to me. How good they are is basically dependent on the chili. I can make great chili BUT it does not work on a chili dog. The best places that make them have nailed the chili aspect and their chili balances perfectly with the dog, mustard, and onions. The only rule that I've ever got out of the chili guys at these places is no beans in Coney chili. Other than that they prefer to keep it secret.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Ha, yes. I could never do a food challenge like this and I am always kind of amazed watching someone else do it. Particularly in this case where it is this small woman and she devours that. To some extent I get a little sick watching it because I know not even a third of the way into that I would not be able to continue.

There are lots of Coney Dog places around the country and the truth is I do like a Coney. It's not something complex, they are typically just the dog on a bun with chili, mustard, and fresh chopped onions. It's sort of hot dog perfection in many ways, at least to me. How good they are is basically dependent on the chili. I can make great chili BUT it does not work on a chili dog. The best places that make them have nailed the chili aspect and their chili balances perfectly with the dog, mustard, and onions. The only rule that I've ever got out of the chili guys at these places is no beans in Coney chili. Other than that they prefer to keep it secret.
Yes I was feeling full myself just watching that video. Amazing how some can just speed-eat like that. She claimed the food was still temperature hot when she finished- I can’t imagine eating that if it would have turned room temperature.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks