What's new

Hot Dogs & Coney Island (Chili) Dogs (1 Viewer)

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I've been kinda busy recently and haven't been posting much but reading Josh's Thread on his exploration into all sodas Cherry convinced me to share my experience with Hot Dogs.
I'm from Michigan. We love our hot dogs, especially, chili dogs (we call them Coney Island although they have nothing to do with New York style hot dogs). These wonderful chili dogs go back to the turn of the 1900's and there still are Coney Island restaurants all over the area of Michigan and Northern Ohio.
ACI_vintage.0.png

We feel we have the best hot dogs in the world so here in Florida we missed our beloved hot dogs. Then we found out about Koegels on the Road. It turns out that these wonderful Michigan weenies are so popular that there is a company that takes a road trip around the USA selling them and other products.

coneys-500x500.jpg

So we look on the web and find the schedule. Turns out they are coming into Tampa (too crowded) and to Sarasota (a 30-40 minute drive) We decided to go to Sarasota. We drive to a Quality Inn motel and go inside to a small meeting room. A nice older lady gives us a sheet and we select our products (besides hot dogs they have coney sauce - pickeled bologna - etc etc.). We make our selections. Yes group we are now the proud owner of $150 worth of hot dogs and chili sauce. (Fine dining don't come cheap ya know)
american-coney-island-kit.c32ccb6752b3b43b75979cb25b9af018.jpeg

Next you pay and then go to the parking lot where a guy unloads from a truck to your trunk. (All in all it feels like those drug deals we watch on TV). A short trip home and we're in business. These wonderful Viennas with natural casing are the best.

So what are your favorite hot dogs? How far would you drive to get one.

In my next post I'll discuss Flint style coneys vs. Detroit style and why Tony Packos (yea the one from M.A.S.H.) hot dogs are not.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Brilliant! I am IN!

I’m boring. I like mine plain, just on a bun, nothing else.

My go-to all around supermarket stable dog is the classic Hebrew National. It’s good on a grill, grill pan, fry pan, boiled and even is passable microwaved. If it’s not the most distinctive dog, it’s reliable, good enough for me, and won’t turn off any of my guests.

...but in my heart of hearts, I prefer natural casing dogs and it’s hit or miss at my local supermarket whether or not they’ll have any. I liked the Boars Head ones but ever since they only started carrying the uncured variety, I’ve felt let down. Nathan’s natural casing is good but not often stocked nearby.

My favorite dog at a restaurant is at Katz’ Deli in NYC (where Sally had her “I’ll have what she’s having” sandwich). They make their dogs in the basement and they’re great, natural casing, crisp. Best served with a square knish and glass of Dr. Brown’s soda, either Black Cherry or Cream. Even though the pastrami sandwich I go for is practically two meals in and of itself, I can’t not get a hot dog while I’m there.

For ballpark franks, my last year living in Boston, Fenway switched from those general stadium hot dogs to a local brand called Kayem, and those had a nice spice and strong beefy flavor. Each stadium should have its own frank.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've lived in Michigan for a total of over 25 years between the two times I've lived in this state. I will never eat another hot dog with chili on it. I love hot dogs, but not chili dogs. Perhaps because I'm not a fan of chili to begin with. With that said, I do love Chicago style hot dogs.:D

shutterstock_150836243.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Living my whole life in Michigan, I've eaten my share of Coney Dogs. There was a Coney Island restaurant called Plato's in the town I grew up in (Garden City) which had great Coney Dogs.

As I've aged, though, chili sauce and onions on a hot dog do not sit well with my older digestive system, so I have not partaken in a Coney Dog in quite awhile.

Last edited:

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I've lived in Michigan for a total of over 25 years between the two times I've lived in this state. I will never eat another hot dog with chili on it. I love hot dogs, but not chili dogs. Perhaps because I'm not a fan of chili to begin with. With that said, I do love Chicago style hot dogs.:D

shutterstock_150836243.jpg
Sacrilege I say! Be gone with your heretic ways! :P Why eat a salad on a bun when you can have a meal? :banana: (actually I enjoy a Chi town dog from time to time too)
BTW as a Michigander you know but for the others - A Michigan Coney does not have chili on it. It is coney sauce. There are no beans EVER. It is made for hot dogs - it is not a can of chili poured on a dog. Detroit style chili sauce meat has a bit of a sauce to it. Flint style is a dryer mix (think more like taco burger) and, if made correctly, has beef heart in it. (I have 4 pounds of Flint style sauce that I bought off the truck in my freezer) A coney should only have hot dog - coney sauce - onions and mustard NEVER anything else..
20140701-coney-island-hot-dog-michigan-hamtramack-coney-dog-detroit-titus-ruscitti-1500x1125.jpg

DETROIT STYLE
afterthought.jpg

FLINT STYLE
I mentioned Tony Packos from Toledo. These (though pretty good) are not hot dogs but Hungarian sausage split in half with their version of coney sauce (it has Hungarian paprika). Toledo also has Rudys coneys more like the Flint style.
tile_packos_large.jpg

Packos is famous for it's signed hot dog buns that adorn the walls
fd_packos-signed-buns.jpg

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sacrilege I say! Be gone with your heretic ways! :P Why eat a salad on a bun when you can have a meal? :banana: (actually I enjoy a Chi town dog from time to time too)
BTW as a Michigander you know but for the others - A Michigan Coney does not have chili on it. It is coney sauce. There are no beans EVER. It is made for hot dogs - it is not a can of chili poured on a dog. Detroit style chili sauce meat has a bit of a sauce to it. Flint style is a dryer mix (think more like taco burger) and, if made correctly, has beef heart in it. (I have 4 pounds of Flint style sauce that I bought off the truck in my freezer) A coney should only have hot dog - coney sauce - onions and mustard NEVER anything else..
20140701-coney-island-hot-dog-michigan-hamtramack-coney-dog-detroit-titus-ruscitti-1500x1125.jpg

DETROIT STYLE
afterthought.jpg

FLINT STYLE
I mentioned Tony Packos from Toledo. These (though pretty good) are not hot dogs but Hungarian sausage split in half with their version of coney sauce (it has Hungarian paprika). Toledo also has Rudys coneys more like the Flint style.
tile_packos_large.jpg

Packos is famous for it's signed hot dog buns that adorn the walls
fd_packos-signed-buns.jpg

I am definitely more familiar with the Detroit style.

A friend ordered some hot dogs and fixings from whatever the famous hot dog place is in Chicago for his wife's 50th birthday party a few years ago (she's from Chicago). Everything was shipped in dry ice. All I remember is that the relish had some serious green die added -- my poop came out green the next day!

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
You guys are too funny. Nice idea for a thread, Marv (and good to see you back!)

I'm not a hot dog connoisseur by any stretch of the imagination. Haven't had the dubious pleasure of trying a Michigan-style Coney dog (though the Flint style one looks edible) ;)

Generally, if I'm going to have a hot dog type thing, I'll barbecue up some smoked brats and put 'em on a nice bread roll, slathered with mustard, pickle relish and yes, heresy I know, ketchup. Something like what is pictured below:

images

But hey, what do I know from hot dogs...I think the ones at Costco are pretty good.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think in general Costco has some really great meats, so that’s no surprise to me that they’d have good hot dogs.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I have a friend who grew up in Chicago and used to fly back there from Arkansas to visit family and eat hot dogs at Portillo’s.

I’m more of a brat and kielbasa fan, but on occasion, I do enjoy a good hot dog with either mustard or ketchup. I don’t eat relish and chili is only for crackers to be dunked in on a cold day. Keep it away from my hot dog! :D

My favorite is Petit Jean beef franks that have been boiled or split down the middle and fried. (Almost as tasty as fried bologna.) When I was growing up, my grandma boiled them and my mom fried them and each way of cooking them gives them a distinct flavor. They can be grilled over an open flame but never, ever heat them in the microwave. That’s disgusting!

7B59DDF4-2BF8-4170-BBAE-283783516451.jpeg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I can see my future already. I have to go to the market early in the day to pick up last minute holiday food stuff, and I’m gonna walk down the hot dog aisle, and then walk past the bun aisle, and before I even know what’s happening I’m going to be using the grill pan to make hot dogs when I should be working on the pecan pie. I’ll try my best to resist it but I am weak and I will likely fail. And I will justify it by saying that a good salty hot dog will help balance out all the sweet soda I’ve been drinking.

And then since you can’t buy just one hot dog, I’ll end up making another one at 5am and eating it with a birch beer while watching Ozzie & Harriet before bed.

Yeah, it’s gonna be a real hard day tomorrow.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Bed at 5am, Josh? Must be a day off (or you work the graveyard shift). Whichever it is - enjoy!

This thread inspired me to dig some lemon pepper brats out of the fridge and fry 'em up for supper, along with a couple of eggs and some mixed steamed veggies. I usually don't eat sausages more than two or three times a month or so, so this will be it for me for a while.

I'd really like a black cherry soda right about now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bytor104
Recent bookmarks