Hosting service for strictly email?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Vince Maskeeper, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I have a buddy who changes ISP often, and would like to register a domain to simply have a static email account (either a real POP or even email forwarding to his SBC account if they have SMTP for outgoing).

I'm looking for some company that offers this service for a reasonable price (especially if they have webmail interface)-- I was thinking under $5 a month would be a fair price. The guy who hosts my web domains wants $9.95 to do it, which is a bit more than i wanted to spend.

I'm sure there are a dozen hosting companies doing this- so I thought I would ask if anyone has used one or has any good tips on who to go through.

2. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

Vince Check out http://www.noxraq.com/ If you reg for a year they have reduced rates. They will also register the domain free of charge and have a web interface for e-mail.

hope that helps

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Take a look at HostPC.com.

4. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

I'm probably missing something, but if email is all he needs and nothing more, how much space would one need? I recently bought a resellers account, and could spare some space (hence the sig)...and $15 for a year is certainly less than $7 or $10 a month...

Fill me in here. If all you need is enough space to email, and can keep it in check, I could probably help your friend out.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well, I would guess maybe 2 megs tops at any given time- I would imagine it will be doanloaded off the server to his machine daily... with maybe 4 megs of headroom for the once-in-a-blue-moon file attachment, again downloaded probably in a few hours.

So figure on average it will be 250k with a max size of 5megs housed for a matter of hours.

-V

6. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

You can generally find local (small) ISPs that will do this very cheaply; I know that we do this.. as do lots of other ISPs with a web interface very cheaply.

General guidelines are as always.. register a domain and keep the administrative contact and ownership always in your name and your contact information, and never turn that over to the ISP [​IMG]

I see too many people get screwed by that one...

7. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Yeah, I keep forgetting that they're POP accounts [​IMG]. But if your friend is really interested, I see no reason why we can't at least test things out and see how they go. If he keeps it even under 50 megs at all time, I don't see how he'll make a dent in my account. I'll monitor things at all time, so if something goes awry, I'll kill the account.

PM or email me if you want to talk further.