What's new

Hostel (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I Saw it with my sister, cousin, and friend. My sister and I are the only ones who really liked it. Of course she's taken after me over the past couple years and really likes horror and suspense movies now. She even likes gory movies too.

It was funny though when we were watching it, I grossed my sister out by saying to her "So that's how they get Cheez Whiz." when the eyeball scene happened.

I don't know if anyone remembers, but my sister's the one I made a thread about on what movies to watch with her a few years ago. She's going to be 16 this year and is mature for her age, so I think she's old enough to see most kinds of movies now as long as she wants to.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
After hearing all the hype about how this film was a nonstop exercise in nihilistic torture scenes, I was pleasantly surprised to watch a film that was actually about something, particularly Ugly Americanism and the classic fears of travelling abroad (especially in a post-9/11 context). I thought the build-up was better than the last act but it's a very solidly made horror film, IMO. A nice antidote to the braindead Saw films :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought it was alright, much better than that POS Cabin Fever. Hated that flick!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Anyone else think the lead was a dead ringer for Dean Cain?

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
Hostel is what Wolf Creek should have been.

Wolf Creek's build up was unsettling and creeped the hell out of me. The feeling of impending dread it created is not something I want to feel again any time soon. The scenes to follow were horrific. Then...it ended. No retribution. No catharsis. It ruined the film for me.

Hostel also had that feeling of dread and the scenes in the factory were terrifying. Where it beats Wolf Creek is in the end. Retribution. Catharsis.

Call me sentimental, but I like a happy ending. That means the bad guys get theirs. Why put myself through something so horrifying?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I said it earlier in the thread but where Hostel went wrong in my mind is that it would buildup suspense and then they'd just toss it away by having a comedic scene or joke after scaring the audience. I didn't particuarly love Wolf Creek but at least they wanted to make a horror movie.

Hostel was a movie that fully intended to have horror and comedy in the same movie (and it worked better than I thought it would) but I'd rather be scared than laugh during a horror movie. That being said, I still enjoyed Hostel even if they didn't go for the straight horror route.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That was also the big problem with Roth's "Cabin Fever" and why I've remained far, far away from "Hostel".

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

But that was a callback to an earlier scene in which Paxton discussed a traumatic event from his childhood - made perfect sense in that context...

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Can anyone point out what the differences were in the "unrated" version vs theatrical? I really couldnt think of anything while watching, though to be fair I only saw the theatrical once months ago.

GregBe

Second Unit

Maybe I missed something, but when he heard the scream, did he actually know it was her?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks