What's new

Horror title reccomendations (1 Viewer)

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Hey guys,

A guy here at work somewhat introduced me to horror movies. I had never really been a fan but he let me borrow a few of his titles and got me hooked. Now, we work in seperate departments so I cannot pick his brain as much. So far I have

House of 1000 Corpses
Devils Rejects
Saw 1 & 2 ( the ones that started it all)
Cabin Fever
Ring 1 & 2
Shaun of the Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Land of the Dead
High Tension
28 Days Later
Amityville Horror (orginal)
and a few others I just cannot think of ( I am at work right now)

So what can you guys reccomend? My wife really gets scared, and really likes getting scared. I just sit and laugh through most of them. She does not like ghost stories and movies where stuff "jumps out at you" so give me as many movies where "stuff jumps out at you " as you can... it makes for more fun... after the movie ;)

Thanks guys!

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Do you have the remake of DAWN OF THE DEAD or the original? Personally, I like both, but if you have one and not the other, it's defintely worth checking out the version you DON'T have.

Not on DVD just yet, but I quite liked HOSTEL by CABIN FEVER writer/director Eli Roth, and the Australian film WOLF CREEK, too, which should be on DVD before too long. Check out the Clive Barker-adaptation CANDYMAN, too. There are tons of other good horror flicks I can reccommend, just give me some time to compile a list.

Vincent

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
That would be great, thanks. Dawn of is the remake. I was looking forward to Hostel, a there was quite a bit of buzz around my office about it when it was first released ( I work with an interesting bunch)

I forgot to mention House of Wax, I have that as well. Boo and Hiss all you want, I enjoyed it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Halloween. If I was going to a desert island and could only take one horror movie, it would be that.

A few others off the top of my head:

I'll second a recommendation for Dawn Of The Dead. I didn't love or hate the remake but the original is a classic. Night Of The Living Dead is another winner. I like the remake of Night Of The Living Dead too.

For some more modern stuff, I enjoyed Cabin Fever alot. Wes Craven's New Nightmare and Scream are both winners too. I dug the new Hills Have Eyes remake as well (although it's not on DVD yet).

Actually the Wolf Creek DVD is coming out on Tuesday. I had no idea until I saw an ad online.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Thanks Travis,

I saw scream several years ago and just could not get into it. I have also see the Elm street / Jason movies and never got interested in them so don't waste your keystrokes for them. I am going to look up Wolf Creek and see what its all about.

Had to chime in here. Horror flicks are my weak spot, even the cheesey ones. Which I'll mention a few.

Halloween (vote #2 for this one)
The Howling
The Hills Have Eyes (original)
He Knows You're Alone (Tom Hanks movie debut)
When A Stranger Calls
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original is better)
The Evil Dead 1 & 2 (cheesey great)
Return of the Living Dead (cheesey funny)
Re-Animator
Pet Sematary
Hellraiser 1 & 2
Creepshow
April Fool's Day
Witchboard
Final Destination might make you jump
Frailty
Cujo
Carrie
The Shining

The 40-Year-Old Virgin

seanOhara

Supporting Actor
There are some major gaps in your viewing.

No '70s horror films -- Last House on the Left, The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane, The Fog, The Texas Chainsaw Masacre, The Omen The Hills Have Eyes, among many, many classics of the era.

No Carpenter -- The Thing is an absolute must, and They Live and In the Mouth of Madness are well worth checking out.

No Romero apart from Land of the Dead -- Night of the Living Dead and the original Dawn should be at the top of your queue.

No J-Horror -- if you like The Ring films, check out the original Japanese versions, and if you like those move on to Pulse, Ju-on, and Dark Water.

And if you enjoyed Shaun of the Dead, you should definitely watch Return of the Living Dead, which is just as funny and twice as gruesome.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
For a change, you might like the Sci-Fi horrors like:

Alien - Lots of things Jumping out.
Event Horizon - Very Creepy

You should also see the ones that started it all for most of us:

Friday the 13th
Halloween

James D

Second Unit
I'm big into the Euro-Horror and Asian horror, but I must warn you that these titles tend to have a lot of gore. Some essentials that I can think of off-hand are:

Suspiria
Deep Red
Opera
The Beyond
Zombi 2
Audition
Ichi the Killer
A Tale of Two Sisters
Tetsuo:the Iron Man.:)

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I have seen Audition at Best Buy, Might just have to pick it up. Thanks for all of the reccomendations!

Perhaps there are some up there now, how about some titles that are scary, ghostly kind of scary. I think I have enough "gore" and zombie" movies for right now.

James D

Second Unit
I would add the new special edition of David Cronenberg's The Fly to your list. As far as ghostly horror goes, I would reccomend The Frighteners. It's as much a comedy-action film as a horror one, but it's fun nonetheless.:)

EDIT-I would also highly reccomend the Universal Monster Series Legacy Editions: Dracula; Frankenstein; Wolf Man; Mummy; Creature from the Black Lagoon; Invisible Man.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
two of my favorites-
The Changeling- one of the best haunted house movies EVER!
Rosemary's Baby-extremely sinister

both are currently available on very inexpensive discs (but the transfers are very good).

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
So much to choose from when it comes to great horror films, especially if you want to be brave and try stuff made before the '70s, or braver still and try stuff made in black-and-white.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Bob, I will pick it up Tuesday when I make my weekly trip to Best Buy. It's pretty sad when the LP guys at the door know you by name.

The Mrs. and I watched "Dukes of Hazard" (movie) tonight,thats pretty scary, huh.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
My two favorites are Black Christmas and The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, both from 1974. You might want to wait before purchasing either one of them though. Chainsaw is finally getting its due on DVD this September. MPI/Dark Sky is putting out a 2-Disc set complete with a brand new 16x9 enhanced transfer taken from HD elements and downconverted to standard definition, a new commentary track with Marilyn Burns, Paul Partain, Allen Danziger, Bob Burns, and David Gregory, the 80 minute "Shocking Truth" documentary, and all of the extras on the Pioneer disc.

The best edition of Black Christmas available now is the Collector's Edition from Critical Mass which was released in 2002. It's loaded with extras including two commentaries, a 35 minute documentary, additional interview footage, etc., but unfortunately it has a 1.66:1 non-anamorphic transfer. With the remake scheduled to be in theaters this December I'm hoping we finally get a 16x9 enhanced DVD of the original.

Chad, you mentioned that you have The Amityville Horror (1979). Have you seen Amityville II: The Possession (1982)? It's my favorite of the Amityville series, a real nasty film that deals with the events of the DeFeo murders in 1974. In the film, the family's name is changed to Montelli and there are only four children instead of five. The film is very sinister though and really creeped me out the first time I saw it.

I agree with The Changeling. I just recently saw it for the first time after buying the DVD because I had heard so many good things about it. It's excellent and the DVD, from HBO Home Video, has a nice 16x9 enhanced 1.78:1 transfer. Another excellent George C. Scott horror is The Exorcist III which I consider to be the real first sequel to the 1973 original, not the horrible Exorcist II: The Heretic from 1977.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks