horror of dracula 1958

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by steve blake, Jan 25, 2002.

1. steve blake

steve blake Stunt Coordinator

does anyone know if there is any plans for this to be released in the near future?.I have scars of dracula and dracula prince of darkness and I think are really good drac movies. but what I want is the first one.I would get it on video if I really had to but would much prefer it on dvd.if anyone has the video what's the picture quality like?is it widescreen?thanks

2. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Warner controls it, so no, you're not likely to see this on DVD in your lifetime.

3. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

You Englander's are damn lucky to be getting them this summer.
    Damn Warner Brothers.[​IMG]

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    If Warner sells enough copies of 1959's "The Mummy", which has been out since last October, and is preparing new digital masters for Europe, I am reasonably confident that we will see the rest of their Hammer output in short order. I haven't picked up The Mummy yet, myself, but I have seen snippets and it is a beautiful transfer.

Regards

5. Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano Second Unit

From the most recent Warner chat:

6. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

7. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

Buy THE MUMMY!

If Warner sees sales, they will put out HORROR OF DRACULA.

8. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Of course, as far as extras are concerned, we all know not to expect anything more than a trailer from Warner on what is possibly the most sought after of all the Hammers. [​IMG]

9. Derek M Germano

HORROR OF DRACULA really should have a Christopher Lee commentary, but I'd happy with just the film at this point.

10. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I would absolutely love to have this film on DVD. I hope Warner does an excellent job on the transfer like they did with 'The Mummy'(purchased that over a month ago). A Christopher Lee commentary would definately be a plus for this title.

11. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    We have Lee commentaries on a few of the Anchor Bay Hammer releases, so at least he's recorded for posterity. Personally, I'd be happier than hell just to have a decent-looking OAR release of HORROR OF DRACULA with trailer. The laser was an abomination - P&S, terrible color and, in the original pressing, an edit that omitted spurting blood from one of the stakings (this at least was reinstated for the second pressing). I have always wondered, though, about a still photograph from the film that appeared in countless genre magazines, beginning with Famous Monsters of Filmland: this is a shot of Lee lying on the floor at the film's climax, skin peeling from his face. This shot has never been included in any theatrical or video release I've seen - the film goes directly from Lee covering his face with his hand to block the sun, then to a reaction shot of Cushing, then back to Lee's skeletal hand lowering to reveal a completely burned away face. Was the aforementioned "peeling" shot just a publicity photo?

12. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Dick, everything I've read indicates that was just a publicity photo.

13. Derek M Germano

The initial Laserdisc release of HORROR OF DRACULA was pretty horrible, I remember an entire reel of the film showing signs of damage. Any new transfer should be of the complete cut and come from the best available materials.

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden