What's new

Horror/Gore DVD Shopping PART II (1 Viewer)

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Okay, what is Ginger Snaps? I just have to ask because I've never heard of this movie and it was released in 2000? Was it direct to video or did it just have a limited theatrical run? Is it worth me owning and if so where is a good place to get the canadian version?
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Actually copied a review from a site that I found out sell bootlegs.. sigh.. OK
It's a werewolf movie (teen girls) with some good gore. Most reviews say it is one of the best werewolf movies.
The Canadian version is 16:9 and has extra goodies that the non-anamorphic bare bones US Release doesn't have.
I got it for (I think..) Gotta do a loony to us conversion here: about $18.50 shipped from absound .
[Edited last by Chris Xolotl on October 25, 2001 at 02:20 PM]

M

MaxY

Wes,
If you really want to freak them out and F with their heads the HGL movie to show them is The Gore Gore Girls. Got to warn you that it has much nudity though. There is more Gore and it is over the top and a little higher quality then 2000 Maniacs.
It is hard to find on DVD but well worth it if you like the HGL type movies but want some a little more disgusting. :)
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!
[Edited last by MaxY on October 25, 2001 at 05:32 PM]

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Wizard of Gore is one of my personal faves! Gore Gore Girls is... Can't wait for the new HGL movie -Blood Feast 2- to come out! I think it's 10/31!
The trailer is here:
Link Removed
[Edited last by Chris Xolotl on October 25, 2001 at 05:31 PM]

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
BLACK CHRISTMAS
Ahhh, one of my personal faves of the slasher genre. A movie so well done, you wonder how it slipped under so many radars.
I had to steer the ship solo tonight, as the professor sponsor of the Film Club didn't show up for whatever reason. So I had to quiet down all the freshmen and everyone else who attended. We had around 20 show up. Considering this is E.R. night, Survivor night, and our college's FCA night, I was expecting a very low turnout, however I was pleased with 20.
I was surprised at how quiet they were at times. They'd constantly talked through most of the other movies, but this one, they sat through without saying a word. They laughed at all the appropriate times (to be such a scary movie, I hadn't really noticed how much true humor there is in it before). However, they missed what I think is the scarriest part in the movie, due to laughter.
Spoiler:They were still laughing over Billy and Margot Kidder's exchange on the phone when Billy (for the only time in the entire movie) uses his real voice and says "I'm going to kill you." And then hangs up.
They missed that part because they were still laughing at something else. Ah well.
A couple of times during the movie, I thought I was going to lose them. This is the Scream generation, and Black Christmas (while a slasher film) is quite slow-paced. I think they really liked it though. The biggest scream of the night was when the killer grabbed Olivia Hussey's hair. Everybody screamed on that one.
After it was over, I heard some people remark "that was the best movie they showed all week", so I think I really won them over with it. A couple of people said "That movie ruled up until the ending..." Then followed it up with this...
Spoiler:"I wanted to see who the killer was!"
For the most part, I think they really enjoyed it. I could tell they were used to the pace of the film, but it'll be good for them to expand their horizons. I'm very glad I showed this one, and was able to convert a few people into potential fans. They all have the Film Club sponsor's class tomorrow I think, so I'll have to stop by and ask him what they all have been saying about it. I'll keep you guys posted.
Thus ends the Horror Film Festival at Pikeville College. :)
Samuel: There really wasn't time for a Q&A session. Most people had homework and whatever to go do. For each movie, the person who selected it, got up and introduced it. I spoke for Black Christmas. Most people through the whole week didn't really want to be there. Especially those who suffered through Begotten. They dreaded the rest of the festival but I think it ended on a good, although creepy, note. :)
[Edited last by Wes Ray on October 25, 2001 at 11:19 PM]

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
For those considering HALLOWEEN shopping (literally), I was surprised to see that Halloween H20 has had a major price drop. No longer a $32.99 (I think---it may have been even higher) list, it has dropped to $19.99, which means that it was on the shelf at $14.99 at Best Buy. Even without the commentary (no longer falsely promised on the disc cover, btw), that's a price I'm willing to spend.
That means I can do a Halloween marathon this weekend...though I don't have Halloween 6---I've heard such terrible things about it, that I may not bother. Does H20 disregard #6 altogether, or does it use any of the #6 continuity, such as it is? I see that it has had a similar price drop, which might make it a possibility....
I also picked up Mistress Frankenstein on a whim, thinking that some smut/gore would be entertaining. Don't bother. Instead of horror, it's lame comedy. There's plenty of softcore, though much of it involves tattooed women (I hate that) with pneumatic breasts, so it's not very erotic either. Hardly any gore....the brain is an obvious rigid plastic model, even colorcoded. Yuck
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Brad_W

Screenwriter
My wife is going to be bringing home Ginger Snaps home to rent in about 1.5 hours. Is this movie any good? If yes or no, why? I would really like a lil info as fast as you can before I watch it.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Halloween H20 ignores Parts 4-6 (though the director said that Part II didn't happen either, but he's a complete moron, as it's in Part II that we find out that Jamie Lee is Michael's sister). The director wanted to make a "true sequel" to the original. H20 isn't bad. Worth 20 bucks I'd say.
As for Part 6, I just pretend that film didn't happen. I once thought I'd successfully willed it out of existence. I was looking online for a song from it and I couldn't find it anywhere! haha. I thought "Woah...it's really happened. I made this movie disappear!" But then I finally found the song not too long ago. Ah well. I can still hope. Avoid it at all costs. It's even worse than Scream 3.

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I finally got to watch The Ring, a superb, creepy Japanese horror movie.
After watching a strange videotape, the phone will ring and in exactly one week you will die.
That's the premise folks.
It's not gory, but it makes up in absolute creepiness. The last twenty minutes or so are shivers up the spine tingly goodness.
I will warn you, though, not to surf the net and look up reviews for this movie. There is one especially that gives away the whole plot and then goes on to say that he, or she, won't say anymore and spoil it for you. The whole review is a spoiler!
I watched it on VHS, though, so the picture wasn't up to par. But, if it's released on R1 DVD, then I will add it to my collection.
Great movie. Highly recommended

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Battle Royale- absolutely fuckin rocks!
It is incredibly violent, brutal,and is fast paced.
A group of high school students are kidnapped and taken to a deserted island.
They are told that they are to kill each other.That only one will survive to claim the prize- to go back into society.
Each are given food, water, and a weapon(depending on your luck it ranges from machine gun, crossbow,axe, dustbin lid)and are sent out to begin the Battle Royale.
Mistrust, murder(some quite graphic)and mayhem ensues...,
Who will survive?
Gotta watch to find out.
yet another great Japanese movie.
Highly, highly recommended

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
Battle Royale:
It really hurts me to hear all these rave reviews....
I have a copy staring at me in the face and it's saying, "Hey Moron! Stop being a cheap ass and get a region-free player...." :D

Bob Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I don't have the DVD, I saw it on VHS(which is why I still like VHS.I'm able to see movies Unregionised.And there is always someone out there selling"collector to collector," if you know what I mean. Tired of this region crap).
Anyway, I think it's a copy from the DVD because the picture was very, very good.
The subtitles were easy to read. And I didn't feel as if I had to rush to read them unlike some Honk Kong releases who seem to think everyone speed reads :) .
Even though it's not technically horror, I just had to rave about it.
And, one of these days, I'm gonna get me a Malata region free, PAL conversion DVD player.
One of these days....

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Since we're discussing Takeshi Kitano...I'd recomend you check out 'Brother' too. Its more of a Resivoir Dogs type movie. Takeshi is awesome. The japanese version is anamorphic and includes a DTS track, but is expensive. The R3 disc is non-anamorphic but inexpensive. Now if I could only find a copy of 'Sanotine' with English subs....

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
I just watched The Beyond tonight.
This movie is awsome & amazing! I thought the 2.0 sound was the best of the tracks & really loud,packed a punch.
Definatly Fulci's best where everything came together. I thought his other movies were only ok,some good gore scenes,but pretty boring. Meanwhile the Beyond-he got everything right. The creepy atmosphere,good acting,gruesome & some cheesy f/x(the spiders!). Also i loved the ending of the film. It was beautiful & haunting!
**** outa ****, while most Fulci movies i give *-**
Also i saw on ebay a couple auctions for Scream uncut on VHS. I was wondering was the uncensored version ever released on video before or even on bootlegg? One auction had a picture of the box & it looked just like the regular VHS edition + was P&S. The other one didn't have a pic,but was said to be in WS & uncut! I think the auctions over,but if anyone knows,please let me know. Since i don't have a region free player(& probably will never? unless i find one) & can't get the Jap dvd. I could settle for the uncut version in WS on video for now.
ps-the original Scream kicks ass,while the sequels & knock-off's were just lame!
Well i planned on having a good horror fest this October & watch at least a few of the best ones i have on dvd + also see Rocky Horror in theaters finnaly either on saturday or a special Halloween showing. But still haven't had a chance(+ work at 6am Thurs!),so all my friends are disapointed,but we're still gonna try to see it whenever it shows again. My car broke down & needs a new engine,so now i'm stuck finding away to work every morning ect & can't go out
frown.gif
Hopefully it'll be fixed soon i have to start saving all over again,once i get the bill.
Also i think i'll try changing my sleep schedule around-at least on certain days such as if i'm scheduled to work on a saturday or sunday & want to go out the night before,since i have to get up really early in order to get ready for work. I could start sleeping after work & get up late afternoon/evening & be able to go out + stay up all night ect. + get some movie watching done,since i love watching them late night with privacy,instead of when the house is noisey ect durring the day.
hmmmmmm well theres always next year + what the hell. I can & do watch horror & any/all genres when i want. No need to wait for certain days :)

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I have the uncut 'director's cut' of Scream on LD. Haven't had a chance to watch it yet, still way behind on my movie watching!

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
I know it was released on LD. Also sadly this was around the time when Di$ney took over Mirimax.Which is why the uncut version may never be released in the US again.
They even go so far to claim it was Images descision to release that version on LD & not theres,lol!!
Hmm i could try getting a good cheap LD player to get that & other ovies that may never be on dvd in there original form such as the Star Wars trilogy.
The only place i've seen the Jap dvd avalible is sazuma.com for $58 + i heard there service isnt that good.
+ i do remember hearing that the uncut version was avalible briefly on video. Possible in those alternate-covers each with a different cast member on it. Never took a better lok hen those were avalbile since i figured they were the theatrical versions only with different covers...also they were P&S.
Imbd.com even states a WS video on the uncut version was released,including a 2-tape set,one had the movie,the other movie with commentary.
I've also seen dutch dvds on ebay,that are supposed to be the same as the Jap dvd,only cost less. But i don't have a region free palyer
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks