What's new

Horror films with no happy ending (spoilers)... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I was just watching the remake of Dawn of the Dead. And in the end you see they get to where they are going only to find out the zombies are there and they probably get eaten. Now, I know some people like these type of endings. But, I don't. You invest your time in seeing these people...only for it to be for nought. Although, it was a fun ride ;) Even, the A-Teaming of the mall minibus.

Another movie that had an unhappy ending was the remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
"Saw" and "Seven" both took the road less travelled....

I believe "28 Days" also had both upbeat and downbeat endings.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Earliest one I can think of is THE MUMMY'S GHOST (or is it THE MUMMY'S CURSE?) from 1944, but I am sure there are earlier examples.

Other older ones that come to mind are both of the COUNT YORGA flicks...

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
The original George Sluizer movie The Vanishing has a great, road less traveled ending...but they had to change it for the American remake....:angry:

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.c...96&promotion=y

The Original Movie...

The lead character tries to find out what happened to his girlfriend, only to be buried alive by the killer - He lights a candle, and the lights slowly go out....

The lame remake...

For the remake, the same character somehow manages to dig himself out of the grave...

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
None of Romero's "Dead" films have happy endings. "Jeepers Creepers" also has a similar ending.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorite 70s movies, coming out on DVD soon, RACE WITH THE DEVIL.

The Satanists get them in the end.

Colton

Supporting Actor
Halloween: Season of the Witch

TV Broadcast begins to play the flashing pumpkin that will activiate all the special Halloween masks. You never find out if the call to stop the broadcast was successful.

- Colton

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor

- Good call! But was there anything happy about that "film" other than when it was over? :)

Another to that list would be "House of 1000 corpses". Bad movie, but it did have no happy ending.

"Mothers Day" - again, bad movie no happy ending.

I will think of more later.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
The Butterfly Effect's Directors Cut Ending

Instead of merely never speaking with Kayle again, Evan ends up killing himself in the womb. This was different from the theatrical ending and from what I recall, the studios wouldn't let the director show it in theaters, so the only way to view this ending is on the DVD.

Interesting thread .. lets keep it going.

Mike

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Can people (in spoilers) put a synopsis for the unhappy endings here? Like what Mike did.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

My mistake Joe, it does have a happy ending. I was thinking it was like the others. It is just such an unpleasant, intense, angry movie,I was thinking it ended unhappily. Don't get me wrong though, I do love the film, it has grown on me considerably, I'd put it at number 2 behind Dawn.

In Jeepers Creeper, the monster wins.

Other unhappy endings are "Blair Witch Project" and "Cannibal Hollocaust"

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Pet Sematary did not have a happy ending.

Stephen King's novel, which this was based on, had a rather ambiguous ending, in that you did not know what Rachel did after she came back and said, "Darling." The movie had the lights go out, and then Lou screaming, "No!" which kind of rules out a happy ending.

Ernest, have to agree with you on Manos having a happy ending, in that, yes, it did indeed END.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
The alternate ending of "Army Of Darkness":

Ash takes too many drops of the potion and oversleeps, only to awaken in a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Not a horror movie, but Cube 2: Hypercube has an unexpected unhappy ending:

The female lead, escaped after making it through and surviving everything the cube threw at her, is executed (shot).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks