Horror films with happy/uplifting endings (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Amy Mormino, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Supporting Actor

As a companion thread to the "Horror films with no happy ending" thread, I thought we could think of an even rarer event: a horror film with a happy and/or uplifting ending. I'd count this as a horror film with one or more of these characteristics:
    1. Few sympathetic characters die, especially towards the end.
    2. There is a clear triumph over evil/adversity
    3. The hero or heroine is clearly in a better place than they were at the worst point of the movie.

Here are some happy horror films I can think of:
    The Devil Rides Out: As mentioned in thepreviousd thread by Andy Sheets, this movie has a genuine feel good ending.

28 Days Later: The hopeful (theatrical) ending is very unusual for zombie films. For all the complaining about the end, it was actually rather innovative for the genre.

The Sixth Sense: There is a major death here, but I would argue that both characters wind up in a better place in the end.

2. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

Good idea, Amy!

Well, off the top of my head, I would say "The Stand" would be one.

Even though three of the four men sent from the Boulder CO survivors to fight against Flagg were killed, they did serve the greater good in their sacrifice. However, this is another Stephen King novel with an ambiguous ending, since in the Author's Preferred Edition, I seem to recall that Flagg was creeping around another group of survivors, trying to get in.

I would also add The Shining [TV mini-series version] which was closer to the original novel. Liked the Kubrick movie though I did, I am still trying to figure THAT version out.

3. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

Signs, M. Night Shyamalan

4. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

"Paperhouse"- Classifying this film as horror though, would be subject to opinion.. I would classify as "family horror" somewhere around PG-13.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Interesting Amy. I think I disagree, as most of the classic 'horror' films have happy endings (using your definition). In fact it was somewhat rare that the opposite occurred.

For example, the classic 1931 Dracula starring Bella Lugosi, had a happy ending.

The Spanish version's (Drácula ) was not nearly so upbeat (and much more in tune with Bram Stoker's novel).

Of course, the fashion now is to often deliberately leave the ending ambiguous no doubt in order to make sequel after sequel (not that follow-ups to successful movies have not always occurred).

6. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Supporting Actor

You have a point there, Lew. I guess I am referring mainly to horror movies made after roughly 1970, though there are a few downbeat endings in early horror films (Nosferatu, the Universal Mummy film where he kills the heroine).

Special points if anyone knows of a Japanese ghost movie or a Lucio Fulci horror film with a happy ending.

7. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Jeepers Creepers! The monster wins. Any time the monster wins, it's a happy ending. Poor monsters, always get the poop end of the stick.[​IMG]