HORROR EXPRESS on 11/22...Any Info?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Claude North, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Claude North

Claude North Second Unit

Has anyone heard anything about this release? I'd like to be sure that it's a quality product before buying it.

2. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    I've checked out the site of the company that offers this, and, as I suspected, it looks like yet another crappy "PD" release, probably the 1,867th such release this film has had.

The ONLY good release of this film is the fully legit Image DVD, part of their EuroShock Collection. It's fairly bare-bones, but is at least presented in its OAR of 1.66:1, has excellent liner notes, and offers a Spanish track (no English subs) and an isolated music and effects track as extra listening options. But, even this decent version is STILL missing the closing credits; the picture fades out early, and the end music theme plays to the end, like on every version I've seen except for one PAL VHS release that retains the complete closing credits crawl, but alas, the opening credits are re-jiggered on that. [​IMG]

I'm wondering if this classic horror film (yep, I said CLASSIC, and will debate to the death all naysayers [​IMG] ) will ever be done complete justice on any home video format. Restored COMPLETE print, OAR, English track, Spanish track, isolated music & effects track, English subtitles, Christopher Lee commentary track, original theatrical trailer, still gallery, and perhaps a making-of featurette? Another godsend would be an official CD release of John Cacavas' memorable score, one of my all-time faves. Just try not to whistle the main theme after you're finished watching the film. That is, if you can whistle.

3. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    The Image was non-anamorphic. No reason to get this one either!

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    You're in luck, the original soundtrack was available on LP and is available on the CD. Info here: MovieMusic.com

It's an offical, legit release and the sound quality of the Horror Express tracks (about 20 minutes worth, catching the key moments of the score) is very good, as is the quality of the Les Baxter scores that are coupled with it.

5. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson
    Peter, thank you SO much for reminding me about that CD! I'd totally forgotten about it...although for some reason I was under the impression that these were re-recordings, which is why I never picked it up. I'm overjoyed to see that they are indeed the original soundtrack recordings. [​IMG]

6. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    The R2 disc is anamorphic I believe and there will be an upcoming R1 from Dark Sky.

7. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Claude, where did you read that a new release is due this tuesday?

Michael, which R2 disc are you refering to? This German edition, reviewed HERE? There are also some small screenshots.

The transfer review, states that it is NOT anamorphic and that the image, overall is often soft, but that colour, brightness and contrast are strong.

It's a neat little horror yarn that has been badly treated on video over the years and is fully deserves a definitive presentation. If only Anchor Bay or Image could pick up the rights and do it justice.

8. CameronMcC

CameronMcC Second Unit

i have seen the disc...its from geneon pioneer and comes in a slimline case...price was 7.99...have not seen the quality but it was grouped with many other titles released the same day by that company..all public domain films...doesn't look promising

9. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

As I said in my first post of this thread, Image DID put it out, and did not really do it justice, because it needs to be anamorphic, it needs restoration which it didn't get, and it needs to have the closing credits reinstated, which have been missing in nearly all video transfers. Some extras would be nice too. And the cover art could be vastly improved. I hope they decide to redo it and get it right this time. But I ain't holdin' my breath. Oh well, even Image's existing disc is better than I thought I'd ever see it look.