What's new

Horror DVDs with lots of extras (1 Viewer)

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I need some help for a recommendations of a DVD to give to a friend as a birthday gift. I am looking for a good horror movie on DVD with lots of extra suppliments. The suppliments should have lots of stuff about makeup and special effects.

I know "Near Dark" just came out on DVD and Ron had a good review. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
Alien & Aliens are both great. Also The Exorcist Special Edition (not the version you've never seen) if you can find it.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Don't forget the plethora of bonus features found in The Nightmare on Elm Street collection. There's enough junk on there to make your veins pop out of your arm and strangle you to death.

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
Don't forget the plethora of bonus features found in The Nightmare on Elm Street collection. There's enough junk on there to make your veins pop out of your arm and strangle you to death.
Although I complete agree with the above, it would have to be a pretty good friend to warrant an entire boxset for a birthday present. But if you're willing....
....will you be my friend? ;)

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
How about New Line's "The Cell" Platinum Edition?
Not a bad movie, not a great movie, but pretty good DVD in anamorphic with (unlisted on the packaging) isolated 5.1 music score, commentary by director, deleted scenes, examination of the film's special effects, production design, make-up and costumes. Did I mention an isolated 5.1 music score? ;)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Elite's Millennium Editions of Night of the Living Dead and Re-Animator both have lots of enjoyable extras. There are also nice SEs of The Beyond, Carrie, The Thing, The Fog, Return of the Living Dead, Killer Klowns From Outer Space, Basket Case, Terror Firmer (for Troma fans only), Resident Evil, and Last House on the Left.
If New Line had released A Nightmare on Elm Street as a standalone disc with all of the great extras that had been on Elite's SE LD, it would make a great buy. However, no suck luck. Many of the extras from that LD aren't even on the DVD boxset bonus disc. :frowning:
DJ

Tony Scello

Second Unit
Along with the ones mentioned above, how about The Texas Chainsaw Massacre DVD from Pioneer. Great, low-budget,disturbing film. The DVD contains a commentary, deleted scenes, blooper reel, trailers, still photos, etc. Even the menus are creative and scary as hell.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Here are some that I think are must haves:
THE THING CE
THE PROWLER (A good featurette on Savini's superb gore effects is on this disc :emoji_thumbsup: )
LORD OF ILLUSIONS
SOCIETY
FROM DUSK TILL DAWN SE
FRAILTY
SESSION 9
MANIAC AB version (Tin is now OOP)
HELLRAISER AB version
HELLBOUND: HELLRAISER 2 AB version
ROSEMARY'S BABY
DAGON
RAVENOUS
THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE
PHANTASM
IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS
And thats just to name a few! Plus, per request, I only listed discs that have extras.

James D

Second Unit
Suspiria Limited Edition. Disc 1-awesome transfer of the movie. Disc 2-lots of good supplements. Disc 3-the Goblin soundtrack. This is my favorite Argento film.:emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Try Dracula (1931) or Frankenstein (1931).

Both have a ton of extras and sport great movies (not to mention great transfers for 70 year old movies!)

Along with most of the previously mentioned suggestions here, my biggest recommendation would be the special edition of An American Werewolf In London. Terrific film and a wealth of features and supplements included.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks