Horrible experience from DVDEmpire

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Seth_S, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

(If this is the wrong location for this post, please move it to the correct one, thanks.)

I've been using DVDEmpire for something like a year now, but not anymore after a recent experience with them.

A $50 order of mine was shipped via USPS on December 13th. Three weeks later the order hasn't come, and I've finally had enough free time to write to DVDEmpire about the matter (I've been working 7 day weeks/12 hour days for the last two weeks). So I informed DVDEmpire though email that I haven't received my order and ask that they resend it. They respond by saying that they won't send a new one until a poster inspector comes to investigate the matter here in Philadelphia. I've been buying things online since '98, and whenever something was lost in the mail, online companies resent the order no questions asked. DVDEmpire obviously has no intention of resending the order. They claim that the order made it to the post office, and there is no way to prove or disprove that then made it to my house. And what's a postal inspector going to do (assuming that they actually come to investigate the matter)?

I've contacted my credit card company and they agree that what DVDEmpire is doing is absurd and have gone ahead and credited me for the order. In theory I could be lying about the whole thing, but obviously my credit card company doesn't think I am, and furthermore, I shouldn't be penalized for USPS's screw up. This is a matter between DVDEmpire and USPS.

This is just a warning to anyone else who uses DVDEmpire.

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Of course this is the wrong section. The Retail & Wholesale Vendors Feedback area was created just for this purpose. In your more than one year here at the HTF, have you not browsed what other sections there are?

3. Skoobooz

Skoobooz Stunt Coordinator

Jay
    Hm...perhaps a not-so-rude response was in order...

In any case, I, too, actually had that problem with DVD Empire. They sent something to me, and it never arrived. I called, and they did resend it, though. However, I also never got that (which is obviously odd, since I have been shopping with them for years and never had a shipping problem).

4. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

My response was not rude, but direct. Anyone who has been visiting this site for over a year should be able to decide which area their post belongs in. If we "police" ourselves, it will take a major load off the moderators.

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I don't want to start a war, and yes, this should be moved, but most of us set up favorites, and after awhile, the sections we never look at seem to vanish.

Anyway, I've been dealing with them for close to 5 years now. I've always used Priority mail, but my finger slipped and it went through standard on a 5 disk order that I made in early December.

I don't have mine either, and this is a first for me. I did get a 20 digit number (that I'm assuming means that because of the weight, this got automatically shifted to Priority mail), even though it doesn't say it.

I tracked the package to a USPS office, but it "left" there on the 13th. Today my 30 days are up, and after that we're supposed to contact USPS about it. It does seem funny that I'm not alone in this.

As for your question, no, DVD Empire does not insure their packages. They have had too many people call to say that they never got it, and the 'freebees' got to be too many for them to handle and still make a profit.

Another alternative is to use FedEx. Ok, you can say the cost is high, but if you order enough disks the shipping price per disk will make up for it, no?

Glenn

6. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Yes, this is the wrong forum.
    No, never had a problem with DVD Empire -- one of the best e-tailers out there.

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

SO MOTE IT BE! [​IMG]

8. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I don't mean to defend DVDEmpire, but I've used them for about three years without any problems. I have had incidents where packages have been "lost" that I sent, and others that I were to receive, using a variety of carriers (USPS, UPS, etc.). It can happen, which is why insurance is always a good idea.

9. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Most of us become terribly self-righteous when someone else screws up. We may have been late doing something for someone else a hundred times, but if a retailer is late in getting a package to us, why, we're just inconsolable. I guess that's human nature. In any case, everyone makes mistakes. "Let him who is without sin..." yadda yadda.

10. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

It's probably not even a mistake on DVDEmpire's part.
    The Christmas mailing season is prime for thieves to steal
    packages from the mail system, mailboxes and doorsteps. There's also alot of part-time help during the holidays that help themselves to some extra "gifts".

I've come home many times to find packages left on the doorstep, and been thankful that nobody stole them.

I have several friends that have stopped using NetFlix because the discs keep "disappearing", on their way to and from NetFlix.

Maybe DVDEmpire should stop using their real name on the return address of their packages. Seeing "DVD" printed on the package may be enticing to a potential thief.

11. Steve_Klein

Steve_Klein Agent

12. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

A few things...

Sorry about the placement of the post. I didn't think anyone would get that upset.

On Insurance and USPS...

Insurance has to do with if the goods are damaged in transit. While obviously not all pieces of mail sent through USPS don't get to their destination, the assumption is that all mail will get to its destination. The USPS doesn't have any kind of disclaimer that states 1 out 50 pieces of mail will be lost.

Next, I've paid DVDEmpire $50 for DVDs that I haven't received. Not to repeat myself, but when I order the discs and had them shipped through the mail, I didn't see any disclaimer that there was an x% chance that my order would be lost, and that I had to order at my own risk. While DVD Empire isn't responsible for the order being lost in the mail, they do have a responsibility to fulfill their half of our business agreement.

Lastly, if they are really worried about people claiming an order was never delivered when it really was, they should only offer shipping services that provide tracking numbers and require a signature on delivery (many mail order companies do in fact have this policy). Oh, I checked it out, and legally the sender is responsible for lost packages. If they weren't, "the check is in the mail" would actually be a legitimate excuse.

13. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

A really 'fun' day. I am still waiting to find out from DVD Empire why my standard shipment had a 20 digit tracking number attached to it.

USPS was a totally different story. First, they insisted that the shipper is responsible for getting the merchandise to me, and would have nothing to do with the argument that since their records indicate that it has not been delivered, but that the tracking number was a valid one, that it is still in their possession. They also recommended me to call BBB, as she was sure that what DVD Empire was doing was against the law, but I haven't checked on that yet. As I am not sure what Empire's 'standard shipping' is either, USPS insists that it has to be parcel post, but if it is, it cannot have a tracking number unless it was insured.

Also, if a loss of mail form is made for this order, the shipper, and not me, has to make it out. Any suggestions are welcomed at this point.

Glenn

14. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

I have always liked DVD Empire and never had a problem receiving my orders from them, but if this is their policy then I've placed my last order with them. I don't blame you folks for being angry. I've spent thousands and thousands of dollars with DVD Empire, and would be VERY upset if my discs didn't arrive and DVD Empire handled the problem the same way many of you are reporting.

15. Steve_Klein

Steve_Klein Agent

16. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

DVD Empire certainly has been good to me.

On one order, the discs had been backordered for an unusually long time. So long, in fact, one of the order desk people took the time to e-mail me, asking if the wait was okay with me (it was).

Whatever I've wanted or needed, they've done.

As far as I'm concerned, there's DVD Empire and The Laser's Edge. Then there's the rest.

17. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I had a bit of a problem with DVD Empire recently. If you recall, a few months ago, they changed their "Standard Shipping" from media mail to first class mail and listed the reason on their site as due to "performance problems" with media mail. Being in Hawaii, I was very pleased, as media mail takes 4 to 6 weeks. My first order went without a hitch, and because there is no "first class" for anything over 13 ounces, it came by Priority Mail.

I placed my next order which shipped November 30. Sometime between placing my order and the ship date (which was probably a 3-week window), they reverted back to MEDIA MAIL for Standard Shipping with NO notification whatsoever. Thus, my parcel did not reach me until January 3rd. If I had Christmas gifts in my order, it would have been too late. I thought it was fraudulent to offer one type of shipping when the order was placed, then change to a cheaper, much slower method without consulting me. I, and all others with outstanding orders, should have been given the option of upgrading the shipping to Priority Mail or cancelling the order.

I did write them an e-mail regarding the situation. It really left a bad taste in my mouth, and I'm pondering whether I want to give them another chance.

18. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

Jack Briggs,

So does that mean they've replaced lost orders for you?